GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ESC questions for road course driving.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Please keep us updated on the Ohlins

I will. Griffin Motorwerke is waiting on Ohlins to respond to my inquiry about running 70n front and 95n rear springs. A friend indicated that they should be able to go about 30n over stock without revalving and those rates would keep the same front/rear balance that I have my current setup.

Actually, I decided to clear out my mod list. Griffin is putting together an estimate for the Ohlins & springs, DCC Cancellation kit, GC camber plates, RacingLine oil management kit, IE intercooler, and a Wavetrac diff. I don't yet know when they will be able to schedule the work.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Cliff, are you adding adjustable camber plates. Cannot remember if you already have a set fitted.

I am currently on GC camber plates and their coilover conversion kit (springs on adjustable perches) that were installed in Feb 2016. I am going to buy a new set of camber plates since a) mine are pre-production prototypes, and b) the coilovers will likely require a different upper spring mount than the OEM-style springs currently on the car.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Which camber plates give the most neg camber?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

No idea, and I think the question really should be: what combination of camber plates, springs, and struts will allow the most camber.

I get 2.4 degrees from my GC plates with stock DCC struts and 2.5" I.D. springs. I expect that the Ohlins (or most other coilovers) will use springs with a smaller diameter which will allow for more movement within the strut tower (edit: looks like they probably use 65mm I.D. springs but I could be wrong). My remaining concern vis a vis the Ohlins would be is there an adjuster sticking out of the top of the strut that will limit movement without making the hole in the top of the strut tower larger. I know one of the early GC coilover kit users ran Koni struts on his non-DCC car and the adjuster limited the camber he could get until GC provided him with a solution.

Last edited:

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I’d say generally around a little more than 3 degrees is the most. The KW clubsports on my MKV R only have a slight extended portion on top and would imagine are the same for the MK7. I have mine maxed at 3 degrees with a minimal drop. The problem with adding anymore are the tie rods start loosing adjustability since they can bottom out due to the camber angle to get the toe right.

Last edited:
I'm planning on keeping stock springs and shocks, just want more neg camber up front.

I've been down this turning street car into track car road before. My 08 STI struck a good balance with just camber plates, RSB, DP, tune, oil cooler, fluid, pads and brake ducts.

It remained quiet unless you were WOT, rode like stock and did well on track.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I’d say generally around a little more than 3 degrees is the most. The KW clubsports on my MKV R only have a slight extended portion on top and would imagine are the same for the MK7. I have mine maxed at 3 degrees with a minimal drop. The problem with adding anymore are the tie rods start loosing adjustability since they can bottom out due to the camber angle to get the toe right

Apparently Ohlins is redesigning the Mk7 Golf product as it not tolerant of the typical ride heights that are selected by their customers. They could not provide Griffin with a timeframe for availability of the redesigned product, and since I am not looking to build a Golf R Alltrack with a raised ride height, I am opting to go with 2-way KW Clubsports on my car, again with custom spring rates.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Apparently Ohlins is redesigning the Mk7 Golf product as it not tolerant of the typical ride heights that are selected by their customers. They could not provide Griffin with a timeframe for availability of the redesigned product, and since I am not looking to build a Golf R Alltrack with a raised ride height, I am opting to go with 2-way KW Clubsports on my car, again with custom spring rates.

I've been considering ordering the Ohlins MT21 for my R in the next few weeks, and last time I spoke with them (back in June), the local Ohlins dealer hasn't had any of the GTI's and Golf R's in the area fitted with them come back to them with any issues.

Did they give you any more info on what exactly the issues and perhaps what height level the issues are at? I'm gonna ask the local Ohlins dealer here as well now about this.

For me its not a big deal, Winter will be here soon, so I can delay purchase until spring, but I'm curious if they gave you any more info.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I've been considering ordering the Ohlins MT21 for my R in the next few weeks, and my local Ohlins dealer hasn't had any of the GTI's and Golf R's in the area come back to him with any issues.

Did they give you any more info on what exactly the issues and perhaps what height level the issues are at? I'm gonna ask the local Ohlins dealer here as well.

For me its not a big deal, Winter will be here soon, so I can delay purchase until spring, but I'm curious if they gave you any more info.

Ride height would be something less than stock Golf R ride height, which is a bit lower than the GTI. Specific issues weren't shared with me but I imagine they are related to product longevity/maintenance.

I have 7-8 HPDE days planned for the rest of the year, and I am seeing suspension issues as noted in a previous post, so I prefer not to wait. If your situation is different, then _your_ situation is different.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
Ride height would be something less than stock Golf R ride height, which is a bit lower than the GTI. Specific issues weren't shared with me but I imagine they are related to product longevity/maintenance.

I think I found the issue at hand, take a look here at audizine where they are discussing this exact issue.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/860730-Ohlins-VWS-MT21-Coilover-KIt/page2

But yea, if a bunch of people are having issues with the Ohlins on our platform and they don't resolve them before spring, I'll want/need to look elsewhere as well. :(

I have 7-8 HPDE days planned for the rest of the year, and I am seeing suspension issues as noted in a previous post, so I prefer not to wait. If your situation is different, then _your_ situation is different.

I'm hoping to get another 3-6 days in this year myself, I need new tires/wheels more than suspension more than anything else, (love your videos btw, keep posting them!). Re: suspension issues - yea, I read, that sucks. You did seem to get some great value out of the stock DCC struts while they lasted, heh.

Last edited:

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I think I found the issue at hand, take a look here at audizine where they are discussing this exact issue.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/860730-Ohlins-VWS-MT21-Coilover-KIt/page2

But yea, if a bunch of people are having issues with the Ohlins on our platform and they don't resolve them before spring, I'll want/need to look elsewhere as well. :(

I'm hoping to get another 3-6 days in this year myself, I need new tires/wheels more than suspension more than anything else, (love your videos btw, keep posting them!). Re: suspension issues - yea, I read, that sucks. You did seem to get some great value out of the stock DCC struts while they lasted, heh.

A friend of mine made a comment on a FB thread:

Cliff's friend said:
It is a RS3/TTRS 8V/8S issue on the Ohlins due to the different spindle (lower ball joint pickup point) used on those vehicles compared to the standard MK7 GTI/R fitment.
Peter Blais (owner of IE) has been running the ohlins on their mk7 R without issues.

That said, the Ohlins rep recommended to Griffin that I wait for the new parts. They were willing to make accommodations in terms of custom valving and such, but could offer no timeline for availability.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Got to admit that I’m disappointed with the latest news from what I read about R&T Ohlins on the Audi forum. Although there are similarities between our Mk7 GTi and the other MQB platforms, I’m wondering if the ride heights are different? Meaning the shock stroke will not work across all MQB models.

I was planning on splitting the difference on the proposed 20mm ride height drop to maintain tire/fender well clearance and only dropping 10mm by increasing spring pre-load.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R

Interesting, good thing you found out before moving forward, that would have been a drag.

No doubt they make a top notch product but some of the KW benefits are they test on their 7 post dyno and at the ring, the plates are very nice too, no rattling. You should be happy with the custom setup you’re looking for despite not getting your original choice [emoji1360]

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Interesting, good thing you found out before moving forward, that would have been a drag.

No doubt they make a top notch product but some of the KW benefits are they test on their 7 post dyno and at the ring, the plates are very nice too, no rattling. You should be happy with the custom setup you’re looking for despite not getting your original choice [emoji1360]

I have friends who highly recommend the KW's so I am sure I'll be happy with them. They were on my short list alongside the Ohlins. Fwiw, I decided to stop cluttering other people's threads with my build chatter so I started a build thread for these latest changes: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54703