GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake problems

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Can I hear an "Amen!" I'm at about $1300/weekend, everything (registration, track insurance, lodging, food, gas, car-related consummables, etc.) except depreciation considered.
I met jmason during a PCA two day event at Summit Point Shennandoah. This guy can drive [emoji106] and I learned a lot watching how he took a couple corners I found particularly challenging
Lol! I'm that guy in a tent with a grill, only spending money on track insurance for competitive weekends (Car is paid off and I can stomach it being lost). All things considered I'm at about 100$/session. Sounds like a lot, until you consider It's 5$/min vs autocross being 10-12$/min :p
You have a great mindset but, camping is $25 a day at summit point so I found a dog friendly Airbnb nearby for $40 a night. Air conditioning and a real shower is worth more than $15 on Saturday night. Definitely look around for deals and don't assume the club hotel deal is actually a deal

The biggest impact to my budget has been the fcpeuro replacement guarantee. They carry everything to maintain and rebuild my brake system on street and track. They only carry one race pad for the 986 calipers, Hawk DCT-60, but at this point I just need something that won't melt.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
I met jmason during a PCA two day event at Summit Point Shennandoah. This guy can drive [emoji106] and I learned a lot watching how he took a couple corners I found particularly challengingYou have a great mindset but, camping is $25 a day at summit point so I found a dog friendly Airbnb nearby for $40 a night. Air conditioning and a real shower is worth more than $15 on Saturday night. Definitely look around for deals and don't assume the club hotel deal is actually a deal

The biggest impact to my budget has been the fcpeuro replacement guarantee. They carry everything to maintain and rebuild my brake system on street and track. They only carry one race pad for the 986 calipers, Hawk DCT-60, but at this point I just need something that won't melt.

For my home track, I'm only 1 hr away so I just drive to and fro. No big deal. For anything further I have tried the airbnb route, though it often adds up as well. 40$ is crazy low, and if I could find that I'd take it, but there are very few airbnb that I've found for under 150/night. When I can, I split an airbnb with a few folks.

DAS_STIG

Banned

What's the FCPEuro guarantee and how does it help track day cost?

donefor

Go Kart Newbie
Can I hear an "Amen!" I'm at about $1300/weekend, everything (registration, track insurance, lodging, food, gas, car-related consummables, etc.) except depreciation considered.

Thanks for this data point, i was hovering around $1100/weekend in the previous car but this one is a little faster, so i foresee costs going up. I'm particularly interested to see whether the 034 camber mounts will have a significant effect on tire longevity, i would be happy if i never had to consider flipping the tires on the wheels again.

Holy crap, their guarantee is nuts. I can see this is obviously worthwhile for pads but shipping might get crazy with rotors. Of course if you're local then it's a perpetual gravy train lol

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Thanks for this data point, i was hovering around $1100/weekend in the previous car but this one is a little faster, so i foresee costs going up. I'm particularly interested to see whether the 034 camber mounts will have a significant effect on tire longevity, i would be happy if i never had to consider flipping the tires on the wheels again.

They definitely help, but you still have to watch tire pressure and some edge wear. Getting toe right and stiffer front end helps a ton with outer edge wear. Tire selection is also important. On my 200tw,ive flipped once, and it was mostly because I had to swap wheels anyway. I took them down to 3/32nds and probably could have gone to 1. I also slow down when the front end gets hot and starts to push. By this point though, the tires are long gone to heat cycles. I'd say -2.8 to -3 front camber for street tires is needed, more if on an r comp.

replicate

Go Kart Newbie
They definitely help, but you still have to watch tire pressure and some edge wear. Getting toe right and stiffer front end helps a ton with outer edge wear. Tire selection is also important. On my 200tw,ive flipped once, and it was mostly because I had to swap wheels anyway. I took them down to 3/32nds and probably could have gone to 1. I also slow down when the front end gets hot and starts to push. By this point though, the tires are long gone to heat cycles. I'd say -2.8 to -3 front camber for street tires is needed, more if on an r comp.

I agree that tyre selection is important. Michelin are very soft and get destroyed. Since I switched to Nankang AR1 I get little to none shoulder wear. The sidewall is very stiff. That’s running at 29 psi hot.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
Lifetime replacement, buy the part, wear it out, ship it back to them on your dime and they'll mail you a replacement.

Too bad the rotors are meh and pads are also meh. No more stock of SRF either :(.
Don't scare me like that! Castrol SRF is in stock and they just sent me the tracking for another bottle.

I'm also a fan of the Zimmerman rotors and to me nothing beats OEM pads on the street, of course ymmv

burgerkong

Drag Racing Champion
Don't scare me like that! Castrol SRF is in stock and they just sent me the tracking for another bottle.

I'm also a fan of the Zimmerman rotors and to me nothing beats OEM pads on the street, of course ymmv

Damnit! I wanted to order a while back and there was no ETA of when it would be back in stock....

DarkArrow

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'18 R
Damnit! I wanted to order a while back and there was no ETA of when it would be back in stock....

I called them to see if they had any updates a few weeks ago, and they told me they had no idea, but they they would get some more eventually and update the website quickly, so they just told me to check every day. And voila, 2 days after I called they were back on there.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion

how do you ship back brake fluid? Do you just keep collecting it every time you bleed it, or do you just send them a bottle of random fluid??

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
how do you ship back brake fluid? Do you just keep collecting it every time you bleed it, or do you just send them a bottle of random fluid??
Just do your best in the spirit of the game. I definitely would have stayed with Motul 5.1 by the case at $15 a liter vs Castrol SRF if it cost $65 like everywhere else. I'm still not good enough to boil the Motul but the SRF seems to last forever. It's hard to get any emotion out of the on-site tech inspectors but they like hearing SRF. Did I mention SRF will make you lighter, more successful, and just like Senna, of course ymmv

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Just do your best in the spirit of the game. I definitely would have stayed with Motul 5.1 by the case at $15 a liter vs Castrol SRF if it cost $65 like everywhere else. I'm still not good enough to boil the Motul but the SRF seems to last forever. It's hard to get any emotion out of the on-site tech inspectors but they like hearing SRF. Did I mention SRF will make you lighter, more successful, and just like Senna, of course ymmv

I'm switching to srf now because I'm boiling rbf660 every day. Last week boiled it in one session :/. Either the last bottles I had were better quality or I was slower...