GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Review of Ed's MK7 Headlight replicas

101D12

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased Eds replica lights and wanted to post a review for everyone.

First, to begin, I have the MK7 GTI and was not a fan of the halogen lights or the projectors with the red light running through it. I heard Ed was the go to guy for replicas and after contacting him, he had a pair in stock for me.

I received the lights (with the adapter) and HID kit in perfect condition thanks to Eds excellent packing and immediately you could tell that they we're built with better quality then your average aftermarket lights. The plastic was nice and hard and the inside of the lights do no look cheap as they usually do with aftermarket lights.

The installation was very simple, all you have to do is remove some bolts on the bumper, remove the grill, and remove the bolts holding the lights. They fit in very nicely with no gaps between the curves.

Once I powered them on, you immediately noticed the LEDs we're nice and bright and the HIDs we're leveled straight. I also did NOT have to do any coding and I did NOT have any bulb out errors which made the lights that much better. I tested all the signal lights, side markers, DRLs, etc and all worked without issues. One cool thing I noticed was that the LEDs shut off on the side of the signal light as they are supposed to be. I am not sure if the DRLs are supposed to dim or not when the headlights are on, but they do not which I prefer since I like bright LEDs.

All in all, I am VERY satisfied with the lights and their quality and make. They work perfectly as intended and they really bring the car together. I have also attached pictures for everyone!

Get yours before he runs out!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hey Jimmy,

I'm currently installing the headlights and I have some questions.

Firstly, where do I connect the red cable running from both housings to the fuse?

Also, it seems the new headlights came with additional harnesses.
The way I set them up (I did not see instructions on the diagram for them) was:
new headlights <-> new harness (adapter?) <-> original harness <----
as opposed to how it was before:
old headlights <-> original harness <----

Is this correct? Or should I have simply gone straight from the new headlights to the original harness (but then what are the new harnesses for?)?

Last edited:

RAY_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I got my replicas last Friday but haven't installed them yet. I looked at my kit and the fuse harness with the red cable and a ring connector at the end connects to the positive terminal of the batt.

Hey Jimmy,

Firstly, where do I connect the red cable running from both housings to the fuse?

Is this correct? Or should I have simply gone straight from the new headlights to the original harness (but then what are the new harnesses for?)?

edward@becautoparts.com

Go Kart Champion
Hey Jimmy,

If you ordered the lights from me, there is a wiring diagram on how to connect it all up on the HID Ballast box.

101D12

If you ordered the lights from me, there is a wiring diagram on how to connect it all up on the HID Ballast box.

If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, I'm assuming the red connecter should be connected to the battery at the point shown?

triple edit:

To answer my own question, YES - in my case I cut a piece of the ring connector off so I could snugly fit it against the positive terminal.

Last edited:

ohsnapzombies1

Ready to race!
If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, I'm assuming the red connecter should be connected to the battery at the point shown?

triple edit:

To answer my own question, YES - in my case I cut a piece of the ring connector off so I could snugly fit it against the positive terminal.

what? I don't recall having to connect it to the battery on my MK6 w/eds lights.

L0WCLASS

Ready to race!
I was told that a version with the red stripe will be out by early fall. Once they are ready I will post more info. They will be manufactured by the same company that makes these Golf R reps.

The GTI reps sold by Winpower, I would not want to touch...

Ed! Request a color match stripe!! Like black or white or the blue:))

toronto1

Trendline will not be deliverd with the lights that Ed is selling:) If you have a Trendline, you have halogen lights! :)

:D wow I have halogens. I thought Trendline's have regular cheap headlights. I didn't know they are also halogen :) thanks for your answer my friend

Last edited:

GoodyGTI'12

Passed Driver's Ed

Another satisfied customer. Thanks Ed!

nomoretickets

Ready to race!
I would love to get these. But almost everyone who got them from the mk6 platform regretted them.

Give it a year. And keep us updated. hopefully they last. I feel like i threw 600 bucks into the dirt with these lights on my old mk6 gti