GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGINE BLEW UP ON ME! HELP!!

Abarela72

So I'm screwed here guys. I bought a 2016 gti about 7 months ago. It came with a neuspeed down pipe and an Apr carbon intake and a Apr stage 2 ecu tune. The first owner did all of this. I did not. Well it started running funky so I took it to a shop and they told me one of my cylinders preignited and the spark plug blew up. Destroying the block. He told me that it would need a whole new engine. 7k installed for a used rebuilt one with a warranty. And he said we would need to look at retuning the car or the same thing is going to happen again. I guess my question is, what are my other options? I mean I found one online for about 2k maybe find a cheap mechanic to instal it for cheaper. But no warranty. Maybe even look at used rebuilt golf r engine and get a little beefiness for future mods? Or just do it cheap and trade it in? I love the car. But I'm trying to be smarter than I was when I bought the car. I still owe a lot on the car. I'm not upside down but I have no equity either. And I didn't get approved for enough money to go all out and get the built Apr engine. What do you guys think? HELP ME PLEASE

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Armchair Racer

Go Kart Champion
I'd just get the cheapest junkyard engine you can find off car-part.com. Some of them do come with a warranty. If you do decide to go all out I'd check out Iroz Motorsports in Vegas. Hank knows these cars inside and out.

As for why it blew up, this probably has something to do with it:

I do plan on going stage 2 Is38 maybe stage 3 if that makes a difference. I daily the car in high altitude desert, where it regularly hits 100 - high 90s in the summer.

So I'm screwed here guys. I bought a 2016 gti about 7 months ago. It came with a neuspeed down pipe and an Apr carbon intake and a Apr stage 2 ecu tune. The first owner did all of this. I did not. Well it started running funky so I took it to a shop and they told me one of my cylinders preignited and the spark plug blew up. Destroying the block. He told me that it would need a whole new engine. 7k installed for a used rebuilt one with a warranty. And he said we would need to look at retuning the car or the same thing is going to happen again. I guess my question is, what are my other options? I mean I found one online for about 2k maybe find a cheap mechanic to instal it for cheaper. But no warranty. Maybe even look at used rebuilt golf r engine and get a little beefiness for future mods? Or just do it cheap and trade it in? I love the car. But I'm trying to be smarter than I was when I bought the car. I still owe a lot on the car. I'm not upside down but I have no equity either. And I didn't get approved for enough money to go all out and get the built Apr engine. What do you guys think? HELP ME PLEASE

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The car has an APR tune and the shop you have investigating the problem says the APR tune destroyed your engine and will destroy another unless you replace the APR tune? If it were me I would be concerned about the quality of the information being provided by this shop.

:confused: Well if he's just going to use the identical setup and treat it the same way (only change being a new engine) i'd probably say the same thing as the shop...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Yep, drop in that R engine. But I'm wondering how the Golf GTI ECU is going to manage the Golf R engine, and how cool will the GTI radiator keep the R engine. How about the coolant management system and intercooler.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Yep, drop in that R engine. But I'm wondering how the Golf GTI ECU is going to manage the Golf R engine, and how cool will the GTI radiator keep the R engine. How about the coolant management system and intercooler.

It would have no issue as it's almost the same engine. If it comes with the turbocharger, it would not be any different in terms of engine management than a GTI with an is38 swap/tune. If it does not, putting his is20 on and running current ECU would be totally fine. When it comes to the cooling system, VW only slapped the auxillary radiators into the R as a safety measure because of constantly running more power than a GTI. I am not aware of any is38 GTI's running into cooling issues so I'd say he's safe in that department as well. An upgraded intercooler would definitely be highly recommended if he's going to run a is38 turbo.

Last edited:

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
It would have no issue as it's almost the same engine. If it comes with the turbocharger, it would not be any different in terms of engine management than a GTI with an is38 swap/tune. If it does not, putting his is20 on and running current ECU would be totally fine. When it comes to the cooling system, VW only slapped the auxillary radiators into the R as a safety measure because of constantly running more power than a GTI. I am not aware of any is38 GTI's running into cooling issues so I'd say he's safe in that department as well. An upgraded intercooler would definitely be highly recommended if he's going to run a is38 turbo.

I have thought about this and the concern is the cam switch over is different as well as the valve lift. It would be interesting to hear form someone who has done this.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I have thought about this and the concern is the cam switch over is different as well as the valve lift. It would be interesting to hear form someone who has done this.

I totally forgot about the cam. If I remember correctly, it's only the exhaust cam that has a bit more lift. I don't think it's significant enough to where it would cause any contact and issues short term, expecially if you're not bouncing it off the rev limiter. There's two solutions you can take to ensure longevity. First would be to tweak your tune for the exhaust cam. UM would for sure do this with a few logs and revisions and those using Eurodyne or Cobb can also tune for it. I would not count on APR to offer any software support in that regard. The second would be to swap over the GTI cam from the old motor, provided there's no damage from the engine failure.