GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Only Magnesium Plant in US Burns Down

Chad13762

Go Kart Champion
I would doubt that's the "only" magnesium plant in the US, but it sound's like Ford wasn't smart enough to have more than one source.

It's pretty common (and wise) for manufacturers to have more than once source for critical components. AMD pretty much got their start, back in the day, because IBM didn't want Intel to be the sole source of CPUs back in the early days of PC, for example.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I'm so angered by Ford's decision to sell only trucks in the US that I'm glad this happened to them. They are so focused on selling only what profits them the most and disregarding other consumer interests, in my book they deserve this.

Nearly 900,000 were sold in 2017 at an average cost of $46,000.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm so angered by Ford's decision to sell only trucks in the US that I'm glad this happened to them. They are so focused on selling only what profits them the most and disregarding other consumer interests, in my book they deserve this.

While I don't disagree with you, they are probably cutting the other models because if they didn't they would go bankrupt. It may not be whats getting them more money, it may be a decision to keep them afloat.

I could be completely wrong, I only glanced over the articles about them cutting production

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

Yes its disappointing as a consumer.

Assuming you own Ford shares, wouldn you want that company to make more profits irrespective of what models they have in the market. Sadly that what every management & stock holder wants and you cant really complain Ford for their decision. Ford did this abruptly and everyones talking about it but FCA did that over time and no one really noticed that.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Um, what else is a company supposed to do, especially a public company with stock holders and a whole slew of fiduciary responsibilities? If they didn't do what was most profitable, they'd be in a world of hurt. Ford has zero obligation to make products people aren't buying or which aren't profitable.

I always view corporations as being in the money business, not that <commodity> business. If they can sell cars, great. If they could make more selling blue jeans, great.