GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best aftermarket bulb options for GTI S halogen housings

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Been wanting to switch out my horrible-can't-see-shit-at-night halogen bulbs (would just upgrade the whole thing, but keep hearing bad stuff happening with HID replacement kits). You don't happen to know the coding for VCDs on bumping brightness values do you. thanks

Those are halogen replacements being suggested by sprinks, not HIDs. They are basically overclocked halogens which means lower lifespan for a little bit extra light, you will never achieve as much light as our H7RC HID kit, we only mention it as many try the halogens and then when they see a projector LP and see how much light those produce vs halogens they go to our HID kit, well worth spending a few extra $.

Halogens won't produce a clean white xenon color temperature
Halogens won't come close to a bright xenon lumen output
Halogens lose their brightness overtime and the overclocked ones are worse since they are overusing the halogen potential you lose a lot of the brightness within the first few months.
Halogens that are overclocked have half the lifespan, depending on usage you could see the bulb go out within 6 months.

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Been wanting to switch out my horrible-can't-see-shit-at-night halogen bulbs (would just upgrade the whole thing, but keep hearing bad stuff happening with HID replacement kits). You don't happen to know the coding for VCDs on bumping brightness values do you. thanks
I do.
Central convenience (9) -> adaptations (10) ->
Leuchte6 and Leuchte7 dimmwert AB from 100 to max value 127
This is essentially removing the bulb saver function vw programs in from factory. That combined with the +130 bulbs and the halogens become livable. Lifespan of bulb is not noticeably affected in my experience.

vol245

I jut installed GE Nighthawk (H755NH) bulbs on my 2015 Golf S and they are much better than the stock bulbs. I drive in very rural and dark areas. Today was the first day that I felt comfortable with my low beams.

I got them at RockAuto and the two bulbs were $20.95 shipped. If they last a year, I'm ok with that. They have other bulbs too such as the Philips X-treme Vision. I thought I would give the lower priced bulbs a shot and am very happy with the results.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Philips Xtreme. The end. Do not waste money on anything else. They are about $28 on Amazon.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Once upon a time, I upgraded the halogen bulbs on my old car with "brighter" ones; they were Sylvania Silverstars as I recall. They were a bit brighter, but they only lasted 4-6 months. I'd go with HID conversions, which are the cost of maybe 2 years worth of "upgrade" halogens but will last much longer.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Once upon a time, I upgraded the halogen bulbs on my old car with "brighter" ones; they were Sylvania Silverstars as I recall. They were a bit brighter, but they only lasted 4-6 months. I'd go with HID conversions, which are the cost of maybe 2 years worth of "upgrade" halogens but will last much longer.
Yes, wasted a few dollars on Silverstars. Joined a class action lawsuit about them as well. This was years ago, no idea if they have improved but they never lasted for shit. Philips Xtreme lasted as long as standard oem bulbs for me. I would eventually change them after I felt it had just been too long - but they were still working fine after two years or more. HID conversions simply aren't cool for regular non-projector housings due to the fact that you blind the shit out of people on coming towards you, not cool. Stick with the Philips Xtremes.

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
I do.
Central convenience (9) -> adaptations (10) ->
Leuchte6 and Leuchte7 dimmwert AB from 100 to max value 127
This is essentially removing the bulb saver function vw programs in from factory. That combined with the +130 bulbs and the halogens become livable. Lifespan of bulb is not noticeably affected in my experience.

Just did this coding to my car with OBDeleven. I still have the stock halogen bulbs (just purchased the +130 bulbs). But I didn't really notice a difference.

mk7matteo

Go Kart Champion
Nokya Arctic White have worked well for me

sharingan625

Passed Driver's Ed
I am also looking to get the headlight bulbs replaced, but a couple of videos I've watched suggest that I need remove the whole headlight housing replace the bulbs which I really don't want to do... Is it really impossible to swap bulbs without removing the entire housing?

darth_furious1

Passed Driver's Ed
I am also looking to get the headlight bulbs replaced, but a couple of videos I've watched suggest that I need remove the whole headlight housing replace the bulbs which I really don't want to do... Is it really impossible to swap bulbs without removing the entire housing?

I done it without removing the housing. It is tight in there if you have medium to large hands. I scraped/cut my knuckles working on it. I say give it a try.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
HID conversions simply aren't cool for regular non-projector housings due to the fact that you blind the shit out of people on coming towards you, not cool. Stick with the Philips Xtremes.

Ohhhhh right, forgot the halogen lights had reflector housings. Yeah, definitely do not put HIDs or LEDs in those.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Nokya Arctic White have worked well for me

Never buy a bulb that is completely coated in that ridiculous blue coating. That's the first sign that it's junk. Most of them REDUCE the amount of visible light you are putting on the road. Dangerous.