GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Has anyone gone catless on their 1.8TSI?

nicvail6953

Please share your experience. All I find are GTIs.

I'm planning to the do this mod, but I'd like to hear the result on other golf 7 1.8 before and as a bonus, have their owners tell me how they feel about the mod. Drone, up gains, sound quality, etc.

Let me know.

NicVail

Envoyé de mon SM-G930W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Catless:

-Smells terrible, so your wife/gf will bitch about that

-Sounds terrible, think tin can

-Illegal, if you get caught

-Cost?
I welded in a cat on my free CTS catless DP (traded my stock one for it, cuz the dudes wife hated how loud it was)...$70 for a 200 cell Flowmaster. So don't claim "cheaper" if you can't afford $70-150 (labor added on there for you) and own a mk7 something's off

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I did it, it sounded ok. Our exhaust system is quieter. I heat wrapped thetol section. I think that helps a bit with the sound quality. It stinks bad though. I got a $99 magnaflow 200 cell and put that in. Sounds slightly louder than stock. Most of the smell is gone when I can get it to stop leaking. I need to weld it in, but I haven't had a free day to pull it out and do that. I would go with a cat if I were you

Mattism78

Ready to race!
It's interesting that you guys ask the question why, then don't accept the answer. A Cat-less DP is significantly less expensive. Especially if you buy one of the Ebay pipes. You might not like the answer, but it's true. Some people who drive these cars can barely afford them in the first place, or they were purchased for them. In both cases I imagine cost comes in to play.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
It's interesting that you guys ask the question why, then don't accept the answer. A Cat-less DP is significantly less expensive. Especially if you buy one of the Ebay pipes. You might not like the answer, but it's true. Some people who drive these cars can barely afford them in the first place, or they were purchased for them. In both cases I imagine cost comes in to play.

I think the pros and cons were laid out for him perfectly. He asked a detailed question, and he got good answers. The answer "cost" wasn't directly asked by the OP, likely because this is obvious. I don't want to speak for him, but he likely wants to know if he can get away with the cheaper option. However, if you or a family member gets sick, have to weld in a cat later, eventually buy another DP, or get in trouble with the law for removing your cat, then "cost" can be a short-sighted stance to take. Like we always say at work..."You can jump a minivan across the river using a set of ramps if you want, but we can't promise you a safe landing".

MikeF1021

Ready to race!

If you have children, or care about the children that may ever be in or near your car, going "catless" is extremely negligent.

https://youtu.be/15Qj_JsCdpM

It was once believed that exhaust fumes simply exacerbated(caused attacks in) existing asthma. Within recent years evidence has revealed that exhaust fumes actually CAUSE new onset asthma as well.

Asthma kills children and adults, affects quality of life for millions, and costs the US about $60 billion annually.

Subjectively, a catless downpipe sounds like shit and smells like shit. But hey, that's subjective.

Objectively, a catless downpipe can cause life threatening respiratory exacerbations in vulnerable kids and adults, and can cause asthma in kids who may have otherwise been fine.

But hey, you might save a couple bucks IF you manage to not get a ticket!

I'll step off my soapbox, but seriously; there is a good reason this shit is illegal. We're not talking about noise pollution, but instead the ability of unsuspecting kids to have an open airway. That shit matters. Your extra beer money or obnoxious exhaust note or 5 extra HP really don't matter.

:end rant:

Mattism78

Ready to race!
If you have children, or care about the children that may ever be in or near your car, going "catless" is extremely negligent.

https://youtu.be/15Qj_JsCdpM

It was once believed that exhaust fumes simply exacerbated(caused attacks in) existing asthma. Within recent years evidence has revealed that exhaust fumes actually CAUSE new onset asthma as well.

Asthma kills children and adults, affects quality of life for millions, and costs the US about $60 billion annually.

Subjectively, a catless downpipe sounds like shit and smells like shit. But hey, that's subjective.

Objectively, a catless downpipe can cause life threatening respiratory exacerbations in vulnerable kids and adults, and can cause asthma in kids who may have otherwise been fine.

But hey, you might save a couple bucks IF you manage to not get a ticket!

I'll step off my soapbox, but seriously; there is a good reason this shit is illegal. We're not talking about noise pollution, but instead the ability of unsuspecting kids to have an open airway. That shit matters. Your extra beer money or obnoxious exhaust note or 5 extra HP really don't matter.

:end rant:
Feel better? I only run catted downpipes. I simply stated that the reason some people might buy cat-less is cost.