GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf vs Mazda 3

lambada

Passed Driver's Ed
Have any of you contemplated getting a Mazda 3 (current model) before choosing the Golf? I'm in the process of choosing between a Golf 1.4 122 PS DSG & a Mazda 3 2.0 120 PS auto. The Mazda is £2k cheaper than the Golf & has bi xenon lights, leather seats & keyless entry as standard. The Golf is a little less thirsty than the Mazda (56.5 mpg vs 50.4 mpg). What makes the Golf a better car apart from residual values?

Gwen

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a 2011 mazda 3 that I did not like very much but when the new version came out I decided to consider it. It is a big improvement over the old one. For me it came down to personal preference. I simply thought the tacked on screen look is ugly and I did not want to stare at that every day. I understand it is for safety but no thanks. Plus I wanted a bit more power so I ended up getting a GTI over the regular Golf. I must say I was impressed with the new Mazda 3. Good luck making the decision.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
TSI engine technology is at least 10 years beyond the Mazda.
Sorry, the Mazda 3 obviously is pretty outdated in any point of view.

Tyler Durden

Ready to race!
I did consider the Mazda 3 when choosing my next hatch, bear in mind I was slightly biased coming from a series of VW Golfs.

The Madza 3 has quite nice exterior styling, it looks sportier than the Golf but tends to look much like the other Asian brand hatchs from some angles. I found the interier to have a cheap plasticky feel to it and a lesser quality feel compared to the Golf. I also preferred the Golf layout and logic behind button placement (this has been carried through various gen of Golf).
The back seats of the Mazda 3 felt cramped and less spacious, plus no rear HVAC.

The all round visibility on the 3 was pretty bad due to the large C pillar and narrow rear windows.

Overall the 3 is a great car but not quite the ride or quality of the Golf.

Your best bet is to try them, take each one for a test drive, some dealers will let you take the car overnight, this is handy to get more feel for each car.

Go for the car which suits you best after testing and good luck.

lambada

Passed Driver's Ed
@Gwen - The article refers to US models not European ones. The engines we get here in Europe are different (smaller).

@Tyler - Test drive is not possible as the dealers don't have the car in stock...at least not with the engine + transmission I want anyway.

gogolf1

Ready to race!
Yes, I considered also the Mazda.

I think It is a great car, I love how it looks(sedan), even the interior quality is much better than in previous models and even other Japaneses cars (but still not as good as in the golf). Regarding the interior design - I felt in the 3, even better than in the golf - the dashboard seemed lower and I just felt I have more room.

But one thing was a deal breaker for me... the soundproofing!! At city speeds, and up to 90 km/h it was very good... but above that speed (especially between 120-150+ km/h) it was SUPER LOUD. I would say that the Golf was quieter at 140 km/h than the mazda at 110 km/h - The main problem was wind noise - I even checked if the windows are fully closed.

PS1. Don't think the golf is that quiet, no! The Mazda is just that LOUD!
PS2. I think that in the city Mazda was more economical than the golf. (manual gearbox)

GJK

Ready to race!
I also considered the Mazda 3. For me hwy road noise, length (Mazda quite a bit longer), and poor rear visibility were the main problems with it.

But one advantage of the Mazda was availability - if I'd gone that way I'd have the car by now. I have another month and half to wait for my TSI!!

lambada

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for you input GJK & gogolf.

Highway road noise doesn't concern me at all because we don't have highways here (tiny island). I'm leaning towards the Golf because of the dealer's (slightly) better reputation, the more sensible 16 inch wheels and the 5 year manufacturer's warranty.

Waiting period is 4-5 months for Mazda and 5-6 months for the Golf.

What colour did you guys go for? It's going to be Pacific Blue or Limestone Grey for me.

gogolf1

Ready to race!
Limestone Gray! - the car looks great in this color, it is my favorite (especially with darkened windows)!

GJK

Ready to race!
Lots of highways here in in Canada!

Went for silk blue metallic (the lighter blue). But, full disclosure, it was my wife's choice, not mine.

I looked at a Speed 3 very hard a couple of years ago. My two biggest gripes against it are turbo lag (it's fun for a while but gets old quickly) and too noisy. My Mk 6 is a lot more grown up and has been a great DD.