GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlight washers & cold weather

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
Hi MK7 cyberland,
We have had some pretty cold weather this winter and I noticed odd behaviour of my headlight washers that I don't recall from previous winters.

They work fine at temperatures down to about -12 C but don't work below that. Work again when the temp rises above -12 C. Don't remember this behaviour during previous winters.

Anyone else seeing this? Is it expected?

Thanks

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
-12C (10F) is hardly cold in my area so that is odd. I am assuming it is to prevent actuator burn out from ice build up?

My daily driver was last washed in late December and we went through -35C for several days late January, which means the headlights haven't been washed either. They are adaptive headlights like my Golf-R (but runs LED's). No issue with illumination.. I think head light washers are overrated and unnecessary unless on dirt roads.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Never heard of protection for them but it could be a feature. Maybe another cold weather denizen will comment. Anything in the owners manual?

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
They work off of pressure from the washer fluid. I've had no issues with them coming in very very cold weather. Mine need some lube or something because they don't always go down (i just tap them on the top and then they retract though).

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
They work off of pressure from the washer fluid. I've had no issues with them coming in very very cold weather. Mine need some lube or something because they don't always go down (i just tap them on the top and then they retract though).

One of my headlight washers has taken to getting stuck on its way back in, the other works just fine but it is new as it was replaced when I bought the car, I don’t think it’s due to the cold as its been near +11’C here, I’ve booked the car in with the hope it will be fixed under warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
-12C (10F) is hardly cold in my area so that is odd. I am assuming it is to prevent actuator burn out from ice build up?

My daily driver was last washed in late December and we went through -35C for several days late January, which means the headlights haven't been washed either. They are adaptive headlights like my Golf-R (but runs LED's). No issue with illumination.. I think head light washers are overrated and unnecessary unless on dirt roads.

Driving in wet snow, especially with some traffic kicking up road grime, means pulling over every 30 minutes to scrape off headlights without headlight washers. Much worse than when it's colder snow. In the summer yeah, they're unnecessary.

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Driving in wet snow, especially with some traffic kicking up road grime, means pulling over every 30 minutes to scrape off headlights without headlight washers.

You have to do that on the 7.5's emblem for Front Assist/ACC anyway or you would need an emblem washer. I am in the they are more trouble than they are worth category so do not miss them but understand opinions vary on this.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I vote for the emblem heater. Do people with Mercedes' and FCA products have the same issues with their sensors? I don't think Subaru uses radar, at least or the front, instead they have the twin camera's at the top of the windshield. The windshield wipers probably keep them clean enough.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
You have to do that on the 7.5's emblem for Front Assist/ACC anyway or you would need an emblem washer. I am in the they are more trouble than they are worth category so do not miss them but understand opinions vary on this.

The mk7.5 emblem has a heater though right? Are you saying the dirt gets caked onto it because of it? My 2016 GTi has the ACC sensor in the lower grille and it heats up below 3 or so degrees! Even with a good amount of slush and road salt I’ve not noticed it get overly dirty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
The ACC sensor itself has a heater, but it's shut off in vagcom because it doesn't actually do anything with the emblem in the way. I turned it on a while back but it did absolutely nothing, couldn't even melt frost.There is no heater element in the emblem. Yes, snow will block the sensor. I just did a 900 mile road trip in the snow and it was off-and-on as to whether or not adaptive cruise control worked. Most of the time it was snowing so hard I wouldn't really want to use cruise control anyway, I was varying my speed a lot because of the road conditions.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Speaking as I find (it's a UK thing especially were I live), IMO headlamp washers are a nuisance, at least without the cute little wipers. They wash the lights ok, along with the bonnet (!), but then the lights are wet so attract dust and get dirty really quickly, meaning you need to wipe them anyway, least they are already coated in washer fluid. Had one washer jet stick in the open / extended position when it snowed last year, it only happened the once though we had the snow all week.....

Last edited:

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Purchase 2 bottles for VW Washer Fluid Concentrate, the bottle tells you the mixing ratio by region/temperature. Its basically a alcohol like fluid. More concentrate = less freezing temperature.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I've had my R for just over 4 years now and have never watched my headlight washers do their job--go figure.
Not sure what you're getting at, the washers operate automatically if a) liteswitch set to auto b) headlites lit (like at nite) c) if temp drops below certain figure. If all 3 are 'yes' then it's clean lites & bonnet time....