GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Partner Program no go

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I was kinds surprised when early in email negotiaton my dealer went to OT D. Including tradein. Props to Valenti in Watertown ct

cb1111

FWIW, in my search, more often than not, a dealer would give me a "final price" that was a lowball that did not include destination fee ($895) and dealer fee (some as high as $799) but did include the military/first responder, recent college grad, and partner discounts (each $500) regardless of whether I qualified.

So the spread between "final price" and actual price was around $3200 (all before TTL). And, perhaps not coincidentally, I found that dealers who did not play those games ultimately had the best pricing.
Yep, that is the DC/MD/VA dance.

One of the NoVA representatives who worked on some of these loopholes coincidentally owns a series of dealerships.

Gotta love VA politics.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Yep, DC/MD/VA are the worst but all areas of the country have the same issue to varying degrees.

As to OTD w/ trade-in -- always, I mean always, get a CarMax offer on your existing car before you talk trade with VW dealer. Without that baseline valuation, it is almost impossible to tell what kind of deal you're getting on the new car.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Or you can just look at comps prices. In Ct tax is figured after trade in so trades are worth 6.35?% more because you don't pay tax on that portion.

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Or you can just look at comps prices. In Ct tax is figured after trade in so trades are worth 6.35?% more because you don't pay tax on that portion.

Two problems with comps - (i) you only see the "ask" not the actual sell price, unless you have access to auction data and (ii) all used cars are different in terms of wear and tear. Better to have a number.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Good point. I didn't bother but knew I was getting a high wholesale price on my trade. It was ready to be put in front row when I took it in. Spotless in and out. I bet all they did was tire shine

Mud

Edit. Looked at kbb Nada car gurus etc to see dealer and private asking. Prices

Last edited: