GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Working in IT?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Ah, the company "IT Person" that isn't in the IT department. We just love your type.

No offense to you at all, I'm more joking than anything. But in my experience every company has that one person who thinks they know their shit better than every tech in the company and believes we're all incompetent.

I had one of these types today go to their department director because they've "been monitoring their computer and noticed some processes will queue discs usage to 100% and discs should NEVER touch 100%" Next thing you know I've got this director hounding me and my team for a "solution."

Ok bud.

You clearly didn't install Google Ultron on their machine

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Good for you bro, I’m assuming your at their HQ off rt1, i need a philly meet up or something. Only car ppl i know are on here :feelsbadman:

I guess i can post tho, i do software testing. Went to school for CS, wasnt the best at teaching myself java, then java 2, then sql, then c+, then c sharp, the php (all web languages) all in 2 years time so i landed in testing, which I really like. I used to test a microservice system and pythong ;) but now its MS and sql stuff :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! That’s the spot.

And actually that’s funny my internship before I landed this role was software testing/application support

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
So you interned for WaWa, then got a job with them? Pretty cool. Love the goose

Yep! Different departments tho haha. First job (intern) was in Operations, on the Store Ops Technology team. Now I’m in str8 IT. Point of Sale yada yada

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Ah, the company "IT Person" that isn't in the IT department. We just love your type.

No offense to you at all, I'm more joking than anything. But in my experience every company has that one person who thinks they know their shit better than every tech in the company and believes we're all incompetent.
What if you're appointed the IT person of your department by the IT Department? :D They don't have the patience for some of the people I work with and I don't blame them, either.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

I had one of these types today go to their department director because they've "been monitoring their computer and noticed some processes will queue discs usage to 100% and discs should NEVER touch 100%" Next thing you know I've got this director hounding me and my team for a "solution."

Ok bud.

All good. But in this case it's true. I build PC's and know my way aronud most aspects of them. Not much coding experience or anything.

A few months ago it came time for a monitor upgrade for me and deskside support came to install it, the guy couldnt figure out how to match my display settings to the hardware. He clicked around for a while with no results then when I turned around he closed the window and said "looks good, you're all set". He had the settings on "duplicate" instead of extend".

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
All good. But in this case it's true. I build PC's and know my way aronud most aspects of them. Not much coding experience or anything.

A few months ago it came time for a monitor upgrade for me and deskside support came to install it, the guy couldnt figure out how to match my display settings to the hardware. He clicked around for a while with no results then when I turned around he closed the window and said "looks good, you're all set". He had the settings on "duplicate" instead of extend".

Maybe he should have searched on stack exchange

KlipZ

Ready to race!

Oof. Yeah unfortunately some companies take the route of hiring Level 1-2-3-4 support desk reps and this can cause a big problem with the low level guys. I myself manage a small support desk that manages 1200 total users in the company. When we hire, we hire guys with networking and sysadmin experience. We don't guy be level 1,2,3 etc. If a network switch went down and a Network admin wasn't around to fix it, one of my guys could certainly give a great effort at it.

Unfortunately though with this style, while we get GREAT techs for the Support Desk, they burn out fast because 80% of the stuff we do is so basic compared to what they did previously. Hell I couldn't stand it if it wasn't for the management piece.