GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 Speed3 vs APR Stage 2 GTI

scurrvy

His car: Mazda Speed3 | stage 2 (Tune/DP) | claimed 305 on dyno
My car: 2017 GTI Sport (w/PP and LSD) | DSG | APR Stage 2 w/ APR DP (+1 Passenger)

I was driving around my hometown in NH around 10pm with my buddy. We were hoping to find someone to have some fun with and… well, we were successful.

We were driving by a park when my buddy hear a loud exhaust and told me to go over and take a look. We drove by and saw a speed3 (while we were driving by he revved at me, I revved back). I circled back around and stopped to talk to him since his car sounded fucking sick.

We talked for a minute about our mods. He said he was stage 2 with a custom tune, and had straight piped his exhaust. He dynoed it in the fall and said it was at 305. I haven’t dynoed my car yet, but I’m APR stage 2, and on paper that should be around 309 on 93 octane.

I asked him if he wanted to race, and he did. We hopped on the highway real quick and got going. (This was my first real race so I was pretty nervous… I’ve dicked around a lot with random people on the streets, but I’ve never actually lined up and roll raced someone)

We start at 30 on the first go. I honked and rolled into the throttle (I was nervous and didn’t want to jump him and be a dick). He pulled ahead of me for a split second, and then I gapped him by a few cars. Pulled off around 110 and he gave me a thumbs up.

The second race went the same for the most part… but I think he was brake boosting this time. I didn’t since I was still a bit nervous. He jumped out a bit farther ahead this time (I eased into the throttle again because I’m a pussy apparently) and then I passed him quickly. This time I didn’t accidentally shift to 6th too early and I had quite a few car lengths on him by the time I pulled off around 112.

We stopped at a parking lot and chatted a bit. The dude was real cool, and we both had a good time. Definitely an awesome end to the night.

TL;DR
Heard loud car - found loud car - raced from a 30 roll two times and blew by him.

I fucking love my GTI.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
I owned a 2009 speed 3 that had cobb protune fbo on 17 psi 92 pump gas. I made 291 whp on a mustang dyno, but it read closer to a dynojet. Funny he mentions stages, unlike over here in vw land the stage 1 or 2 or 3 is rarely mentioned, anywhoo I believe the story, these new mk7s are just flat out faster. Most bolt on tune Cobb speeds are making 280-295 whp stock turbo and are tad heavier too. I do kinda miss it. Its a raw car. The 6 sp trans is bulletproof, its got respectable potential as long as u keep tq spikes out and below 400 wtq
But yeah, my gti right now would pull several cars easy on my old speed.