GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ENGINE BLEW UP ON ME! HELP!!

Abarela72

So I'm screwed here guys. I bought a 2016 gti about 7 months ago. It came with a neuspeed down pipe and an Apr carbon intake and a Apr stage 2 ecu tune. The first owner did all of this. I did not. Well it started running funky so I took it to a shop and they told me one of my cylinders preignited and the spark plug blew up. Destroying the block. He told me that it would need a whole new engine. 7k installed for a used rebuilt one with a warranty. And he said we would need to look at retuning the car or the same thing is going to happen again. I guess my question is, what are my other options? I mean I found one online for about 2k maybe find a cheap mechanic to instal it for cheaper. But no warranty. Maybe even look at used rebuilt golf r engine and get a little beefiness for future mods? Or just do it cheap and trade it in? I love the car. But I'm trying to be smarter than I was when I bought the car. I still owe a lot on the car. I'm not upside down but I have no equity either. And I didn't get approved for enough money to go all out and get the built Apr engine. What do you guys think? HELP ME PLEASE

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Yeah multiple posts in the same section as well as other sections of the forum is pretty obnoxious.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I'm sorry to hear of this.

It's unfortunate, but you did buy a second hand car with no warranty. I don't know what kind of help you're trying to find here.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Maybe even look at used rebuilt golf r engine and get a little beefiness for future mods? Or just do it cheap and trade it in? I love the car. But I'm trying to be smarter than I was when I bought the car. I still owe a lot on the car. I'm not upside down but I have no equity either. And I didn't get approved for enough money to go all out and get the built Apr engine. What do you guys think? HELP ME PLEASE

So you are talking about another mod even before fixing the issue and you think you are smarter now?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
I'm kind of skeptical of the diagnosis. What do you mean, running funny? Generally when you grenade the engine, it ceases to run at all or creates lots of white smoke from burning oil and coolant. If you smoked a plug, it will run poorly, but swap the plug and it could be ok. I'd get a second opinion. Photos and better description will help us help you.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Honestly, you say you like the car. If that's true, repair it as cheap as you can (but correctly) and drive it stock or do research and mod it correctly with a safe tune. Blown motors aren't too common on these cars. Many cars run with some serious power with no major issues.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You really need to learn about cars and engines. Where's the photos of block damage?

And you don't just drop in a Golf R engine.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
As oddspyke said, It sounds a little off that the car was running funky and the shop said the engine is blown. I've seen a few tuned engines blow (not VW's) and it's always been an immediate loss of power coupled with noise and smoke. Does the car run?