GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I want a Golf R But...

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I bought a 17 GTI SE in November for over 7 grand off msrp (right before the face lift came out). I wish I had held out and got the R. Don't get me wrong, I love my GTI but the R seems like such the better choice. I'm in Western NY and drove it during the winter. All I could think was I wish I had that 4motion AWD. As others have stated, the R holds it value significantly more than the GTI. Once it's paid off, you're not paying much more if you take resale values into account. Definitely do your research and test drive both though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mr. White2

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok I’ll check out True Car and the others, thanks. My local dealer has 2 SEs with 6 speeds I have my eye on, currently priced at 2.5 off sticker, plus I have my 500 military cash.

Mr. White2

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes, I’m also in Upstate NY and I do like having AWD. But compared to an SE I’m looking at a 12K price difference minimum. More like 14K probably.

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I’m turning in my BMW 4 series X drive next month. I’d like to nab an R, but the 2018 GTIs are heavily discounted in Upstate Ny, like close to 3K off, and the Rs are selling at sticker. Makes the R seem like even less of a deal. Anybody else have this dilemma?

Since price appears to be a big factor for you, the GTI should suit you well. I recommend the lower trim and not the Autobahn in this case. Get some nice snow tires and you'll be all set for winter.

Autobahn is real nice though. I enjoy driving mine during the week.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Get an Alltrack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The difference is much more as discussed in several posts.

How so? His original post only lamented about a $3,000 price difference. He's a price shopper. I paid about $6,500 more for my R with all options over an Autobahn with all options, and didn't blink once. Either you step up to buy what you want, or you step back.

Last edited:

DP03

Ready to race!
How so? His original post only lamented about a $3,000 price difference. He's a price shopper. I paid about $6,500 more for my R with all options over an Autobahn with all options, and didn't blink once. Either you step up to buy what you want, or you step back.

With the discounts available on GTI's the price difference for an R is more like 10k in the current market. For example, I got my 17 Autobahn for 27k, but couldn't touch an R for less than about 38k.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
set up an alias email acct. Email every dealer withing the distance you are willing to drive, Or get truecar price subtract $250 from that and offer it to all the same dealers. I've never driven the R but the majority opinion is the GTI is a bargain compared to the what the cost of an R is. I'm sure the R is better but wasn't something I would pay that much extra for. I'm sure you can still find take-off snow set ups (thx diesel-gate) for cheap on CL.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

Is it worth a drive for you? Northern Virginia dealers have fairly aggressive discounts advertised right on their websites. I bought two of my VWs about 85 miles from home, even though there are three VW dealers near me. I also flew to Cleveland to buy my wife's Jetta, which was one of the last 2018 Silk Blue Mk6's with black interior, manual transmission, and sunroof in the country. I got a fair deal on it via e-mail.

More and more dealers are willing to negotiate via e-mail these days. If they don't, and you're willing to travel, find a dealer who will deal. Priority VW in Chester, VA will deal via e-mail and offered my 2017 GTI Sport for $5700 below MSRP on the first response (this was in 2016). Deals can be had.

Good Luck,

Scott