GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty service dispute

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
You never authorized work outside of warranty so from my understanding you have no obligation to pay. But seeing that is was a mistake, I would talk to the dealer and address the issue and see if you can reach an agreement. Maybe they will honor their original word.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Same with buying a car.

You sign sales and finance contracts, you take the car, they call you back a few days later with some story about how they "didn't charge you enough" and how you'll "have to come back in to re-sign at a higher rate" or whatever. Guess what? You're obligated only to what the sales contract (and finance contract if there is one) says. But people don't know that, are *scared* of contracts and "the man", and go along "just to make it all go away".

Dealerships of all kinds can be scummy. Sometimes it's just plain ignorance. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

I don't always agree with Adam, but when he's right, he's right.

I like those beer commercials... Do..secksickssdics I believe is how you spell it.

Edit: that was just mashing on the keyboard... Freud would say I have something on my mind though.

16gtiguy

Ready to race!
You didn't know what was wrong. You should have known plugs weren't covered. What if it was only a plug? Pay the man.

One of the dumbest arguments ever made, they should know their own warranty. They gave him an estimate stating zero and it would be covered under warranty. If that was a mistake they are obligated to inform of new estimate prior to doing the work. I am sure you signed something to the effect that estimates can be given over the phone, baring then telling you before the work was done then you have no obligation to “pay the man”.

cb1111

You never authorized work outside of warranty so from my understanding you have no obligation to pay. But seeing that is was a mistake, I would talk to the dealer and address the issue and see if you can reach an agreement. Maybe they will honor their original word.
Nothing to "address".

The OP had a binding contract to do the repair under warranty. It is the dealer's responsibility to know what is, and isn't, under warranty.

Had the dealer raised the issue BEFORE the repair was completed, then the OP could have decided to either get it done there or elsewhere.

The ethical thing here to do is for the dealership to suck up the repair AND apologize to the customer for trying to jerk him around.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
As long as you have your car back, tell them to pound sand.

Their only recourse is a mechanics lien which they can’t inact since the car left the service department.

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
Nothing to "address".

The OP had a binding contract to do the repair under warranty. It is the dealer's responsibility to know what is, and isn't, under warranty.

Had the dealer raised the issue BEFORE the repair was completed, then the OP could have decided to either get it done there or elsewhere.

The ethical thing here to do is for the dealership to suck up the repair AND apologize to the customer for trying to jerk him around.

I agree with you. I think its almost extortion on the dealer side. But I am just trying to stay moderate so an amicable agreement will be reached. But seeing as the OP has his car back, maybe it's best to call them, explain why you won't be paying, and leave it at that.

abar22

I think this question has been answered already but having once been a service advisor I'll throw my two cents. The advisor should have said they will have to do a diagnostic. Then he/she should have quoted a worst case scenario of half hour to one hour diagnostic labor if the issue ends up not being warranty related and then had you sign off on that quote on the write up sheet. The tech should have known that coils are a wear item and they should have called you and quoted the entire repair price. As such, they did it under warranty and their warranty guy the next day probably told the advisor that it won't be covered. So they call you, which is pretty brazen and bad long term customer service. In the end, the advisor and tech should eat that repair and not get paid their hours/commission.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Sadly, in the end it will be the tech that did the works that gets screwed the most. It may not be your fault, but it's not the techs fault either. They do the work they are assigned and have nothing to do with it being covered under warranty. I've worked at dealerships and have been screwed like that myself. He'll have his hours/commission pulled for that job if neither you or the warranty pay out. If it were me I'd either come to some agreement with discounts or ask for the car to be returned to it's original condition and fix it yourself for cheap.

cb1111

Sadly, in the end it will be the tech that did the works that gets screwed the most. It may not be your fault, but it's not the techs fault either. They do the work they are assigned and have nothing to do with it being covered under warranty. I've worked at dealerships and have been screwed like that myself. He'll have his hours/commission pulled for that job if neither you or the warranty pay out. If it were me I'd either come to some agreement with discounts or ask for the car to be returned to it's original condition and fix it yourself for cheap.
Say WHAT????????????????????

Here's an alternative - call Buick and file a complaint about the dealer.

The OP has no obligation, legally or ethically, to pay a dime. Once done, it is unethical for the dealer to ask for payment after the fact.

From my other posts, you know that I often side with the dealers, but in this care they are just plain wrong.

Will the tech get screwed? Probably,but even if you paid now he would still stay screwed. You think the service manager will call the tech in, say "Hey, the mark came in and paid" and hand the tech $50.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I think this question has been answered already but having once been a service advisor I'll throw my two cents. The advisor should have said they will have to do a diagnostic. Then he/she should have quoted a worst case scenario of half hour to one hour diagnostic labor if the issue ends up not being warranty related and then had you sign off on that quote on the write up sheet. The tech should have known that coils are a wear item and they should have called you and quoted the entire repair price. As such, they did it under warranty and their warranty guy the next day probably told the advisor that it won't be covered. So they call you, which is pretty brazen and bad long term customer service. In the end, the advisor and tech should eat that repair and not get paid their hours/commission.

I don't believe any dealer for any brand does any warranty work without knowing if they'll be reimbursed first.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Techs are hourly employees.

abar22

I don't believe any dealer for any brand does any warranty work without knowing if they'll be reimbursed first.

In a perfect world, that's correct. Mistakes do happen though and it's usually a call or visit from the warranty processor that brings it to light. It seems like that's what happened here. It happened to me. That work probably only took a half hour so that tech isn't likely out very much, if any, depends on the service manager.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Techs are hourly employees.

As a Chrysler tech I got paid flat rate hours... Paid per hour of work the job calls for. Didn't matter how long it took.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
In a perfect world, that's correct. Mistakes do happen though and it's usually a call or visit from the warranty processor that brings it to light. It seems like that's what happened here. It happened to me. That work probably only took a half hour so that tech isn't likely out very much, if any, depends on the service manager.

If GM works the same as VW, they submit the claim electronically and get an answer right away.