GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.5" bottle neck with my CTS catback and downpipe. Affects flow?

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, I was wondering if 2.5" connection from my 3" CTS catback to my CTS downpipe affects flow. Does the small section of 2.5" piping pretty much make the benefits of the 3" piping on the catback not effective? I heard an exhaust only flows as well as the smallest point.Thanks.

Last edited:

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Pretty crazy to spend over $1000 on 3” exhaust and have 8” of 2.5” in the middle lol

It’s probably not a measurable restriction, but it’s pretty Mickey Mouse to say the least

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty crazy to spend over $1000 on 3” exhaust and have 8” of 2.5” in the middle lol

It’s probably not a measurable restriction, but it’s pretty Mickey Mouse to say the least

Yea It's because I bought both parts at different times. It would have been 3" all the way if I bought the full turboback from the beginning.

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
Yea not a big deal at all. I can just cut the ends off and use a 3" butt end clamp with a piece of pipe. Just wondering if it makes any difference, planning on going is38 or hybrid soon.

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I did it. Cut off the section and added a 12" vibrant resonator and lap joint band clamps with some copper sealant. The resonator is 3" internal depth so I was able to slip the pipe into it before sealing and clamping. Zero leaks, less drone, and now a true 3" turbo back for about 60 bucks in added cost. Cutting the pipe was a pain on jack stands :(.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1779.JPG
    IMG_1779.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1782 (1).JPG
    IMG_1782 (1).JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 166

7umberjackZac

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Gti
Well I did it. Cut off the section and added a 12" vibrant resonator and lap joint band clamps with some copper sealant. The resonator is 3" internal depth so I was able to slip the pipe into it before sealing and clamping. Zero leaks, less drone, and now a true 3" turbo back for about 60 bucks in added cost. Cutting the pipe was a pain on jack stands :(.
Good gawd, you are gonna have a lot of bolts to periodically tighten under that car. They all start to loosen, heat cycles. I know I'm living it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Good gawd, you are gonna have a lot of bolts to periodically tighten under that car. They all start to loosen, heat cycles. I know I'm living it

Stock clamp or nah?

The Torca EasySeal clamps and their knockoffs don’t come loose when properly torqued, although I agree that is a mess of clamps

c3rolling

Passed Driver's Ed

it's just one more clamp vs previous setup. Not sure what the big deal is. I never had issues with Torca type clamps.