GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

15k budget questions

Wolfman1265

So I am in the market for a 2014/15 gti. I know there were quite a few changes to the gti in those years, but since I have never owned one I feel like I wouldn't know the difference.

With 15k in mind, would it be better to just go under budget and get an mk6? Or push my budget for the mk7? Again, I have nothing to compare to. I might want to play with aftermarket parts as well.

My other thought is the fact that many people avoid used Gti's in the first place due to irresponsible driving from previous owners. I have money for repairs if it is really needed, but of course nobody wants to do them, lol.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So I am in the market for a 2014/15 gti. I know there were quite a few changes to the gti in those years, but since I have never owned one I feel like I wouldn't know the difference.

With 15k in mind, would it be better to just go under budget and get an mk6? Or push my budget for the mk7? Again, I have nothing to compare to. I might want to play with aftermarket parts as well.

My other thought is the fact that many people avoid used Gti's in the first place due to irresponsible driving from previous owners. I have money for repairs if it is really needed, but of course nobody wants to do them, lol.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

Not as much previous owners' driving habits, more so previous owners' lack of proper maintenance. That's what I would fear the most in a used "performance" car. Unless its a corvette in which case you know said 80 year old previous owner never went above 4K rpms.

For $15K, I doubt you'll find a good used mk7 bit I may be wrong. If it was my money, I'd find a super clean low mile mk6 from an owner with good documentation and spend whatever you save on mods.

Wolfman1265

Not as much previous owners' driving habits, more so previous owners' lack of proper maintenance. That's what I would fear the most in a used "performance" car. Unless its a corvette in which case you know said 80 year old previous owner never went above 4K rpms.

For $15K, I doubt you'll find a good used mk7 bit I may be wrong. If it was my money, I'd find a super clean low mile mk6 from an owner with good documentation and spend whatever you save on mods.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!! Great response. If going mk6, is there a trim you would recommend? I really haven't researched the mk6 as much.

Thanks!

jybyrd

Go Kart Champion
Skip the Mk6, imo. Find a 2015 and go from there. The MQB is a much better platform, not just from a performance standpoint, but fit and finish as well.

I had a Mk6 w/ tech+convenience for 5 years, and the Mk7 SE is by far the better car.

GTI210

Ready to race!
Get a '15 certified pre-owned. The authorized VW dealership will have a carfax with maintenance records + you'll get a 2 year/24,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Don't be afraid to shop around nationwide either. Don't be afraid of having your car shipped. I had my SE shipped 1800 miles because nothing locally or even within 500 miles came close to the value. Locally, certified pre-owned S trims w/o LP or PP with similar mileage were literally going for more than the SE I ended up buying.

Wolfman1265

Get a '15 certified pre-owned. The authorized VW dealership will have a carfax with maintenance records + you'll get a 2 year/24,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Don't be afraid to shop around nationwide either. Don't be afraid of having your car shipped. I had my SE shipped 1800 miles because nothing locally or even within 500 miles came close to the value. Locally, certified pre-owned S trims w/o LP or PP with similar mileage were literally going for more than the SE I ended up buying.

Wow! That is crazy. Thanks for the advice!

Wolfman1265

Wow! That is crazy. Thanks for the advice!

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Around here it's hard to find a 2015 S or SE for $15K. After a few months of searching I ended up with an S with Sunroof and Lighting Package for about $14,800 and only 14.5K miles on it. I really wanted an SE but the 15s were literally selling for the same price as brand new 17 S trims.

mesaboogie18

Ready to race!
Personally, I'd either spend a little more for a MK7 or use that money to buy a clean MK4 R32 and call it a damn day.

RedStarRacer

Passed Driver's Ed
The mk6 GTI is a fine car. As stated a good history is worth alot. Personally I wouldn't stretch my budget. Get whichever of the two you can safely afford. I'd go clean mk6 with a solid one owner history and maintenance records for the 10-12000 range. Then mod from there. Warranty won't mean squat to you anyhow if you end up modding it anyhow past a certain degree.......so certified mk7 is a moot option. So moral is. Either save longer for a mk7 or not extend your finiances. It's easy for alot of people to try to spend your money for you lol.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
MK7 all the way.