GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil temp

Jdreg

Ready to race!
Hi, new to VW Gti
By reading this forum I’ve become aware that there’s a strong recommendation to get your engine oil up to temperature before pushing the throttle hard.
This is the first time I’ve heard to watch the oil temp vs coolant temp.
Is this something specific to these engines or have I been doing it wrong.
Thanks

H

Huntermike

Hi, new to VW Gti
By reading this forum I’ve become aware that there’s a strong recommendation to get your engine oil up to temperature before pushing the throttle hard.
This is the first time I’ve heard to watch the oil temp vs coolant temp.
Is this something specific to these engines or have I been doing it wrong.
Thanks

Nope, common sense with an internal combustion engine. Your transmission will be even slower to operating temp. If you have a rear drive car or truck the diff will be the slowest to op temp. Don’t forget about wheel bearings :)

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Oil is the thing that stops the wear not the coolant. So the oil needs to be warm so that it circulates properly. Giving it beans before the oil it up to temperature in any mechanical moving part causes metal on metal wear.

The water will reach temperature quicker because modern water jackets are very thin. Sitting motionless waiting for the oil to warm up does more harm than good as the oil takes much longer to warm up. Modern engines (last 20years minimum) are designed to start up and drive straight away.

H

Huntermike

Today you’re lucky to even get a water temperature gauge let alone oil
My last car was a '17 Mazda6 and like some Subies, it has a blue idiot light on when the water temp was too low. My 6 turned off at 125F.