GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Liquid Moly MolyGen

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Don’t need to be an expert to google MSDS sheets.

Bottom line is if the oil meets Volkswagens specifications it’s gonna do the job, we don’t need a pissing match over 0w40 vs 5w40. They’re both superior to the factory 5w30 fill if spec’d correctly

Right I did that many posts ago, but it was ignored I guess.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
People like Tigsel conveniently don’t read posts like that lol

Oh, this was my first encounter, my bad. But for real I just want to learn about this shit.

So here are two castol MSDS

0w-40 Syn

and

5w-40 Syn

both meet VW specs, but neither MSDS shows what group the base oil is made from as far as I can tell. Sorry I was an ass about it.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Oh, this was my first encounter, my bad. But for real I just want to learn about this shit.

So here are two castol MSDS

0w-40 Syn

and

5w-40 Syn

both meet VW specs, but neither MSDS shows what group the base oil is made from as far as I can tell. Sorry I was an ass about it.

From my point of view he was the one out of line, not you lol.

Either way for those reading check the VW spec requirements are met or exceeded and you’re golden. I’m sure there’s an engineer or oil expert here and I’m not him lol, just made the OP cuz our aircraft use the same technology as the new moly gen

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36

Either way for those reading check the VW spec requirements are met or exceeded and you’re golden. I’m sure there’s an engineer or oil expert here and I’m not him lol, just made the OP cuz our aircraft use the same technology as the new moly gen

I'm pretty sure there is actually an oil expert on the forums, forget his user name at the moment, hell he might not even be active here anymore. But some one worked for an oil company, and he and I had some debates in a thread in times long past. Like seriously months or even a year ago.

Also thanks for that, I... am often terrible at reading intent when I've been "personally attacked", tend to just go full rage mode. So 90% of my rage mode posts are totally out of line and I get corrected... or rather insulted for it. That's what I love about the internet. Everyone can be an expert, but the 100% known fact is that everyone is a fool! I just kinda made that up, not sure if it really works yet.

Tigsel

Ready to race!

Interesting statement, I wonder where exactly I was out of line?

I did and every MSDS I found proves you wrong... I'm just confused how you can be so confident with nothing backing you up. But hey its the internet so everyone is an expert, unless they actually are, then you make fun of them right?

Being an expert at fixing cars also means I'm an expert about oil right guyz!? Because automotive technicians design and create oil for cars right? right? oh wait.

These are the MSDS, (not the Product sheets you're looking at). Section 3 to be precise: https://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds...=Full&spu=Lubricants&unrestrictedmb=No&cols=0

Another good read: http://utsrus.com/documents/seminary_doklady/exxon_mobil_pao.pdf
And another: https://www.onguardengineoil.com/synthetic-oil-faq/
Here, I did your homework for you. I hope you don't get too offended. You're welcome!

Last edited:

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

This is true, however, if you're picky about oil you'll know that VW 502 isn't a particularly stringent requirement.

You want to look for one which hits MB 229.5, Porsche A40, and BMW LL-01.

My current go-to, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40, meets all three including Ferrari spec.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
These are the MSDS, (not the Product sheets you're looking at). Section 3 to be precise: https://msdspds.castrol.com/msdspds...=Full&spu=Lubricants&unrestrictedmb=No&cols=0

Here, I did your homework for you. I hope you don't get too offended. You're welcome!

Hey awesome, that was all I was asking for (since my very first reply to you). I typed castrol msds into google and the first link provided the product sheets, so that was confusing. Your link looked the exact same until I actually clicked on them.

I assume mixture means group 3 and 4 while synthetic means group 4 only? After looking at the ingredients I see it does. It's strange they don't have the MSDS for a lot of their oils, like the two I provided the product sheets for. Looking through I see a lot of 0w's are mixtures and only a few are synthetic. Same goes for the 5w's except even less synthetic. Pretty neat.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Hey awesome, that was all I was asking for (since my very first reply to you). I typed castrol msds into google and the first link provided the product sheets, so that was confusing. Your link looked the exact same until I actually clicked on them.

I assume mixture means group 3 and 4 while synthetic means group 4 only? After looking at the ingredients I see it does. It's strange they don't have the MSDS for a lot of their oils, like the two I provided the product sheets for. Looking through I see a lot of 0w's are mixtures and only a few are synthetic. Same goes for the 5w's except even less synthetic. Pretty neat.

Don't pay too much attention to "substance/mixture", instead look at the "ingredient name" and %. Ingredients such as:
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Base oil - highly refined

all mean that this is a Group III hydrocracked base. Unfortunately none of the US bound 5W have any PAO in the mix, only 0W. Motul is the only one I know that mixes III and IV in their 5W (excellent oil BTW).

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Don't pay too much attention to "substance/mixture", instead look at the "ingredient name" and %. Ingredients such as:
Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
Base oil - highly refined

all mean that this is a Group III hydrocracked base. Unfortunately none of the US bound 5W have any PAO in the mix, only 0W. Motul is the only one I know that mixes III and IV in their 5W (excellent oil BTW).

Awesome. Ill continue using 5w's, since I don't need the freezing protection of a 0w in my climate.

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R

Tigsel

Ready to race!
That’s a good article, has a lot of useful info on Group V synthetics.

I’ve been using Torco SR-5 GDL 5-40 for a while in my MKV R, trying to figure out what I’ll use in my MK7.5 R. It’s a Group IV and V synthetic, more info below

https://www.torcousa.com/technology/TDS_SR-5 GDL 5w40.pdf

Never heard of this oil but wow, looks really good on paper http://tomitaka.com/Products/oil/Torco/MSDS_A150540-SR5.pdf and I am sure it performs the same too. Have you done any oil analysis? Where do you buy it? I am currently on Ravenol SSL (excellent oil) but may try Torco next time around if the price is right.