GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil leaking on spark plugs

MK7-R

Passed Driver's Ed
Here are mine 1-4 after 13k miles on plugs and 25k overall on car

MK7-R

Passed Driver's Ed
So I’m guessing this is a normal thing? And maybe no big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine isn’t normal and consumes oil. However I’m below the consumption threshold so I’m getting the run around.

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
Joviemk7 and really, MK7-R too, That does not seem to be a lot of oil honestly. If you could measure it, all of it from all 4 plugs from mile 1 to now, how much would you say was there?

MK7-R, are you flooding out your plugs with oil?

Both of you - Do you think its causing a problem or simply not pretty to look at? Is it throwing codes? Misfires?

I don't mean to be frank about it but to be blunt, my wife's Mercedes R500 has a leaking rear main seal. It drips about 1 drop of oil maybe every two or three days. The car is 11 years old. The repair is $1200 if I don't do the labor and regretfully the part is only like $50-60 but it means dropping the trans, etc. I put a piece of cardboard down in the garage and problem solved. Over the course of an oil change it makes zero difference on the dip stick.

With that said, is yours leaking to a point its causing a problem or is just something you don't like seeing? If its not a problem, wipe it clean, torque the plugs properly and carry on like is a bad tattoo that nobody else knows about.

MK7-R

Passed Driver's Ed
Joviemk7 and really, MK7-R too, That does not seem to be a lot of oil honestly. If you could measure it, all of it from all 4 plugs from mile 1 to now, how much would you say was there?

MK7-R, are you flooding out your plugs with oil?

Both of you - Do you think its causing a problem or simply not pretty to look at? Is it throwing codes? Misfires?

I don't mean to be frank about it but to be blunt, my wife's Mercedes R500 has a leaking rear main seal. It drips about 1 drop of oil maybe every two or three days. The car is 11 years old. The repair is $1200 if I don't do the labor and regretfully the part is only like $50-60 but it means dropping the trans, etc. I put a piece of cardboard down in the garage and problem solved. Over the course of an oil change it makes zero difference on the dip stick.

With that said, is yours leaking to a point its causing a problem or is just something you don't like seeing? If its not a problem, wipe it clean, torque the plugs properly and carry on like is a bad tattoo that nobody else knows about.

Mine after 13k mikes on the plugs started to get a little rough on idle. No codes or anything, just felt more hiccups. On wot it started to feel like it wouldn’t have the full power. Since I changed back to oem and gapped at 0.024 it’s been running much better and feels like it pulls harder. It wasn’t a lot of oil and had some valvrcover sealant on it (which is supposedly normal since our cars use rtv). However my car burns 1q every 2500-3000 Miles (last time however worries me since the low oil light turned on at 1500)

bilagain

Passed Driver's Ed
A quart every 2500 to 3000 miles seems like a bit much. Any other signs of a leak or wet spot? Boy, I wonder how your oxygen sensors and cat(s) are if you're really burning and not leaking that much oil.... There's a number of things you could do to try and narrow it down. You still under warranty? Modded? I'd pursue that first.

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
So I finally went to the dealer and I just talked to a service advisor who told me since it was an internal leak “they called it seepage” and not an actual leak outside the motor vw will not cover it but he offered me a quote on a reseal. Then he later brought me to a tech and we talked about it and I showed them both the same video and they just left me with keep and eye on it and come back if anything but they still said vw would not cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Just had this issue also. Oil leaked so bad on the #4 plug it started misfiring. Everything was covered under warranty as it was the lack of sealent in the engine cover. If you're part of the fb group, I posted a picture of my plug on there and on this forum somewhere as well.

avayswavay

Oil Leak in Cylinder 4 Spark Plug Galley. Blown Cylinder Head Cover "Gasket" at 60k.

Your engine doesn’t have a valve cover. It’s a cylinder head cover that incorperates the top bearings for the camshaft. Also, the gasket is made by using RTV.

I had oil on one of my spark plugs as well and decided to clean it off and recheck at next oil change. Now that I hear you exhibiting this and seeing that YouTube video, I’m wondering if this will be another common problem with these cars. Granted yours is the 1.8L, but still same design for the cylinder head cover if I’m not mistaking. My car only has 18,000miles on it.

___

New to the community but here's my experience with my 2016 MK7 GTI. I fear that it may be a common problem on these cars. My car had 60k miles on it and only driven on the street. All oil changes done by me at 5k miles , as well as more than average maintenance. Drive the car in a spirited fashion on occasion. No tunes yet. Noticed that the engine bay smelt like burning oil on more than one occasion. Car burned a lot of oil but nothing out of VW spec. allegedly. I got a couple of oil low warnings about 4000 miles after oil change. At 60k went to change spark plugs after cylinder misfires and engine idling rough. Found in cylinder 4 blown cylinder head cover "gasket" and tons of oil. Cylinder 1 contained a bit of oil. Took a dealer visit and VW honored in full cylinder head cover "gasket" replacement (I actually was at 60,200 miles so the work was done out of goodwill). After technician opened up motor found intake camshaft was scored on 2 roller rocker arms plus a damaged valve. I figure engine starved at some point but no official word from VW. The only thing I could get out of them is "you need these parts lol". So much for me relying on oil level sensors even though I wouldn't expect starvation just as a low oil light has come on idk. My extended powertrain warranty covered a new intake camshaft, 2 new roller rocker arms, and valve etc. Called around to some tuner shops in the DC (DMV) area. New German Performance recommended I check the pcv valve and if part is outdated replace with the latest iteration. Went with a Raclingline catch can and pcv plate instead. Will be checking dipstick at every fillup now. Warranty work was not what I would have wanted to pay out of pocket. Im an engineer by trade and interned at a couple of auto manufacturers in the midwest. Dealer gave me the run around along with some incompetence for a month and 4 days. Yikes!

IMG_5228 2.jpg

57948044043__B720808A-A66B-40AD-969C-38585C777900.JPG

IMG_5394.JPG

IMG_5937.jpg

IMG_5920.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5921.jpg
    IMG_5921.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
___

New to the community but here's my experience with my 2016 MK7 GTI. I fear that it may be a common problem on these cars. My car had 60k miles on it and only driven on the street. All oil changes done by me at 5k miles , as well as more than average maintenance. Drive the car in a spirited fashion on occasion. No tunes yet. Noticed that the engine bay smelt like burning oil on more than one occasion. Car burned a lot of oil but nothing out of VW spec. allegedly. I got a couple of oil low warnings about 4000 miles after oil change. At 60k went to change spark plugs after cylinder misfires and engine idling rough. Found in cylinder 4 blown cylinder head cover "gasket" and tons of oil. Cylinder 1 contained a bit of oil. Took a dealer visit and VW honored in full cylinder head cover "gasket" replacement (I actually was at 60,200 miles so the work was done out of goodwill). After technician opened up motor found intake camshaft was scored on 2 roller rocker arms plus a damaged valve. I figure engine starved at some point but no official word from VW. The only thing I could get out of them is "you need these parts lol". So much for me relying on oil level sensors even though I wouldn't expect starvation just as a low oil light has come on idk. My extended powertrain warranty covered a new intake camshaft, 2 new roller rocker arms, and valve etc. Called around to some tuner shops in the DC (DMV) area. New German Performance recommended I check the pcv valve and if part is outdated replace with the latest iteration. Went with a Raclingline catch can and pcv plate instead. Will be checking dipstick at every fillup now. Warranty work was not what I would have wanted to pay out of pocket. Im an engineer by trade and interned at a couple of auto manufacturers in the midwest. Dealer gave me the run around along with some incompetence for a month and 4 days. Yikes!

View attachment 27832

View attachment 27833

View attachment 27834

View attachment 27835

View attachment 27837

Thankfully they covered everything.

avayswavay

Thankfully they covered everything.

Yes, thankfully everything was covered. On the bright side having it done at a tuner shop would have been significantly less in relation to VW's insane labor rate.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Reviving an old thread here-- just did a plug change to RS7s at 22K. Noticed a fair amount of oil on the upper threads, below the seat, of plug #4. There was no oil on or near the electrode. I chalked this up to factory fluids/sealants oozing down and tested it after a week by pulling the plugs again; This time while the engine was warm. I confirmed there was fresh, bubbly oil in the same spot as the factory plug 4. The car does not appear to be leaking any oil, but the last change I did was about a month ago so it could be hard to gauge. Does this sound like the same replacement issue OP had, but in an earlier state, or something different?

Last edited: