GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

iPhone 8 to Galaxy S9?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Depends if you've used android before.
If you haven't, just stick with iPhone. 9 times out of 10, those that switch either way end up changing back within a week.

If you have, you might be ok. Plus benefits

Better camera with amazing low light and super slow motion video.
Can customize to your heart's content. Yes, you can have more than just widgets on your home screen. Add your calendar and a to do list.

Cool emojis based on caricature of you (gimmicky? Yes)

If you go s9+, you also get dual cameras and 6gb of ram vs 4.

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
I think the better move would to wait until the Google Pixel XL 3 comes out in October. I personally switched from a 7s Plus to an S8+. I hate the Samsung skin on top of Android O. The software updates come super slow to Samsung phones. I think the Pixel would be the better upgrade if you waited. :)

I plan on making this particular upgrade personally!

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I went from an iPhone 6S to a Galaxy S8 in November, shortly after I got my GTI. Yes, Android Auto was a motivating factor, since I didn't like Carplay, or being forced to use Apple Maps.

Now that I've grown accustomed to Android, I find that I prefer it in many ways to iOS. Sure, some of the apps don't work as well as they did in iOS, but ultimately, the versatility of Android outweighs the ease of iOS (for me, anyway). It's been 7 months, and to be honest, I don't know that I would ever switch back. I sort of missed having iMessage at first, but these days, even SMS/text messaging seems old, when everyone's using a messenger app of some sort.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
I generally like Samsung products, but I will never get their phones again. We bought four S7s as a package for the family. Two of them had their batteries swell and split the casing, but were covered under warranty. It happened to the third just outside of the warranty period, and Samsung made me pay to replace the whole phone, because they said the damage was due to "abuse."

For those keeping score, that's a 75% failure rate for hardware, and a 100% failure rate for customer service...

kalsers

Some people like iPhone , and others like Android , depending on the individual,It's not that iPhone users who have never used an Android phone can't use Android phone , click here to switch iPhone to Samsung , you just need to backup all data for your iPhone , once switch to Samsung , Maybe you need 2-3 days to get used to it .

Last edited:

Robbb

Passed Driver's Ed
I like the Galaxy. The iPhone audio on phone calls is the worst! Even without a case the iPhone audio is horrible. iPhone audio to anything other than an iPhone keeps fading in and out for the person on the other end. VERY annoying.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I went the other way...picked up an iPhone SE from an Android (Xiaomi Mi A1) phone. Picked up an SE because I wanted to go with smaller phone. Performnace-wise...I don't find it to be too different. No real make or break type differences from one device to the other.

Once I plug it into the GTI...that's where the big difference is. CarPlay and Apple Maps suck. The Apple Maps interface is really awkward and not really user friendly. Took me a couple minutes to figure out how to look up and address in AM. The address bar on Google Maps is in the upper right hand corner. On Apple Maps...you have to tap the microphone and then it takes you to a voice command screen...then you see the keyboard icon in the upper right hand corner.

Android Auto > Apple Carplay.