GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Squeaking suspension 2017 GTI

Riptide09

Infected by the Mod bug
I have a very annoying squeaking sound I believe coming from the front suspension on my car. My GTI has 14781 miles on it and around 3500 I replaced the stock suspension with H&R Street Performance coilovers and I haven’t had a single issue with it, zero noise or performance issues. Now in October of 2017 I moved from the very humid Panama City Florida to very dry Fort Collins Colorado at around 11800 miles. I didn’t have any noises at this time. Around a month to a month and a half ago I had the noise appear in the video below. Is it because I’ve moved to a drier climate? Does anyone on here know what could possibly be making this noise? Thanks in advance!

https://vimeo.com/269406623?ref=em-share

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Man this topic has been popular lately. The move and climate change has no effect on suspension parts so count that out as the cause.

You could check swaybar end links first, as they’re the quicker fix, but that’s most likely the strut mounts worn/loose.

I cannot stress enough the importance of properly applied torque via hand tools/torque wrench vs using airtools. Also, stretch or torque to yield hardware is often reused during suspension work, but doing so puts you at risk for premature wear or failures as well since it is always one time use per the manual, and comprised by design when the original torque is applied. Repeated torque applications will break these bolt or at the very least ruin their ability to tension lock themselves in place as they’re designed to do