GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

hatch always dirty

Nappy216

Ready to race!
I can not keep the back of my car clean. Wash... drive the end of the driveway and the hatch/rear bumper are dirty again.

Ok I'm exaggerating a little... but the back of my car is ALWAYS dirty no matter how much I clean it Drives me nuts.

Wondering if a different rear defuser or aftermarket rear spoiler would help by changing he airflow??

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I can not keep the back of my car clean. Wash... drive the end of the driveway and the hatch/rear bumper are dirty again.

Ok I'm exaggerating a little... but the back of my car is ALWAYS dirty no matter how much I clean it Drives me nuts.

Wondering if a different rear defuser or aftermarket rear spoiler would help by changing he airflow??

Spoiler will not help much.
Wash and wax it is best thing.
Keep it well waxed and easier to hose off when you want.
If light car then use Iron-X every quarter to get iron deposit marks off.
Then wax again.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Not much you can do. Thats just how the dirt gets kicked up from the back of the car.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Splash guards...

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
It's DI soot.

Nothing you can really do about it except waxing it to make it easier to clean in the future.

I mean you can literally not drive the car lol. Also the rear bumper cover overhang is pretty shelf like along with the fact that the rear hatch is more vertical than most other hatches makes for a perfect spot for the soot and other road dust/dirt to collect.

adam1991

Banned

Basic aerodynamics says, any changes you make won't make a difference.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Basic aerodynamics says, any changes you make won't make a difference.

Not necessarily true. Any change that moves the turbulence significantly farther away from the rear window and hatch will help keep the car clean. This is why sedan windows don't get road spray and other grit when driving in the rain. The trunk is acting as the spoiler. Both my Sciroccos had a good size rear spoiler mounted a few inches above the base of the window glass, and the rear always stayed clean. I never needed to use the rear wiper unless I was sitting in traffic. At highways speeds it stayed dry just like a sedan rear window. The large US-spec rear bumper might also have helped. Today the bumpers don't stick out as far.

The question becomes how far you have to go to get the desired result. Small, unobtrusive mods might not do it. A large, impractical and unsightly spoiler probably would.

Golfdave mentioned noticing a slight improvement after adding the side spoiler extensions on the window glass, as I mentioned earlier in this thread as an option.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
That is what you get with hatchbacks and there is no way around it.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
Optimum no-rinse and a microfiber are your friends.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Nature of the beast, sorry.

In the summer, when it's just dusty back there and hasn't rained for a couple days, I'll use a few edgeless towels and a WW to do the rear panels and hatch.