GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha... $19,xxx for a 2017 GTI SE!!! Almost shat my pants. Golf SE... got it.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
Even then, that's an awesome deal. I paid $18,800 for an S wagon and would have happily shelled out another grand to step up to an SE.

They offered to sell me this car, which is still for sale, at the internet price. This was a cash value i believe.
With taxes and fees, It was 21,500 OTD.

If financed, I could have gotten the car down to $20,500 OTD. For a GTI S, that is a steal of a deal.

https://www.tetonvw.com/new-Idaho+Falls-2017-Volkswagen-Golf+GTI-S-3VW4T7AU5HM049218

cb1111

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

wantone

Ready to race!
Did you read the loan contract to see if there was an early payoff penalty?

https://www.carsdirect.com/auto-loans/understanding-car-loan-prepayment-penalties

Even if there is a penalty, it's usually cheaper to suck it up. This was broken down on another manufacturer forum where the penalty was $75 to pay off early, but the interest with the dealer financing charged on a $30k car was $700 when you could supposedly pay off with no penalty. That's insane and paying off is obviously the much better deal.

Just remember, at the beginning of a loan, it's all or mostly interest payments. Dealers would love to string that out for 6 months on each and every vehicle if they could.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Even if there is a penalty, it's usually cheaper to suck it up. This was broken down on another manufacturer forum where the penalty was $75 to pay off early, but the interest with the dealer financing charged on a $30k car was $700 when you could supposedly pay off with no penalty. That's insane and paying off is obviously the much better deal.

Just remember, at the beginning of a loan, it's all or mostly interest payments. Dealers would love to string that out for 6 months on each and every vehicle if they could.

Paying off is the better deal, unless the cash that you're using to pay it off can earn more when invested elsewhere. At 2% APR it's worth it to just make your loan payments since you can earn far more than 2% by putting your cash into an investment account. Or, if you have other loans on which you're paying higher interest, it's smarter to pay them down first. If my car loan APR is lower than my mortgage APR, it makes more sense to pay down my mortgage with the cash that would otherwise be used to pay off my car loan.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
I just looked back at my deal. I had 2 options.

Option 1: Buy Sports Trim and finance = $22453 (incl. taxes/fees)
Option 2: Buy SE Trim and finance = $26,000 (incl. taxes/fees)

I could have saved $3,547 by going with the Sports Trim. :/

Essentially, I am paying $3,547 for leather seats, premium audio, rain sensing wipers, moon roof, fog lights...right?
Do you think i made the right choice? I think I paid $1,000 too much for the above features.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I could have saved $3,547 by going with the Sports Trim. :/

Essentially, I am paying $3,547 for leather seats, premium audio, rain sensing wipers, moon roof, fog lights...right?
Do you think i made the right choice? I think I paid $1,000 too much for the above features.

Either way, you might have got a good deal on a 2017 and nothing can be done about it. And to rate your current deal, you got to provide your MSRP and selling price without tax and title.