GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

cb1111

Like vj123 mentioned, if you find one long distance you really want, put a deposit on it. They ARE refundable. (There's no way dealers could get away with charging $500 deposits and then just keeping them if deal didn't work out) I've run into the same thing buying long distance. Had a holiday special on a 2017 Civic Si not long that was being blown out for $20,600 with less than 20 miles on it. It had been on the lot for nearly 300 days. Ouch. The sale came and went and it was still there and dealer said they would honor holiday price. I figured I should have no problem driving up in 5 days if was on the lot that long. Low and behold it sold before I could get up there. Doh! Lesson learned.

A dealer will say whatever they can to get a sale. A person inside the dealership is WAY more important than a long distance buyer. Unless you have a deposit on a vehicle.

Have you given up on Sheehy VW?
Horsemanure. A deposit means nothing to the dealership. It doesn't stop them from selling the car to somebody else.

The ONLY time a deposit is appropriate if you've made an agreement, signed the paperwork and the dealer needs to get a car from a distant dealer IF that particular car is a slow seller - i.e Mary Kay pink.

DJTEKNISION

You don't want to put a deposit down and you don't want to have the dealer find financing for you.

There is only one reason for a deposit - an that is to to tie you emotionally to the car. That allows them to screw with you.

Get your financing from your credit union. Know your credit score. If it is good (i.e. 740 plus) then you should qualify for the .9% financing from VW. If it is close then you probably qualify for the 1.9%

Negotiate a price - not a monthly payment. Email dealers for prices.

These cars are everywhere, so you're not buying some rarity.
This is great advice!!

wantone

Ready to race!
Horsemanure. A deposit means nothing to the dealership. It doesn't stop them from selling the car to somebody else.

Probably true. Not sure it would have helped in my Honda situation or not. Would like to think it would Would also like to think not ALL dealers will screw you if you put a deposit down. But......

The ONLY time a deposit is appropriate if you've made an agreement, signed the paperwork and the dealer needs to get a car from a distant dealer IF that particular car is a slow seller - i.e Mary Kay pink.

Absolutely NO deposit is needed if the contract has been signed and back in the dealers hands. There is NO scenario, not even the one you described. Period.

cb1111

Absolutely NO deposit is needed if the contract has been signed and back in the dealers hands. There is NO scenario, not even the one you described. Period.
You're right, but I was trying describe some sort of scenario where a deposit may be OK.

Dealers love deposits because it is free money AND it has that psychological effect of letting the bump up the price and whatnot because you've already mentally bought the car.

The dealer ALWAYS wins. Be especially wary of the new guy who acts real dumb.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

You can find a brand new car in any dealership around your doorstep. But OP is looking for used car with certain criteria in dealerships far away from him. So there is nothing wrong in advising him to place a deposit if the vehicle suits his criteria.

Ofcourse its not going to stop the dealership from selling it to another person. But atleast the dealership will give a headsup to the person who has a deposit on the vehicle and if he is really interested, money can be wired to the dealer. Also the deposit will be refundable.

No dealer is going to sign the paperwork without the buyer paying for the vehicle. Is this the horsemanure you were talking about? [emoji848]

You're right, but I was trying describe some sort of scenario where a deposit may be OK.

Dealers love deposits because it is free money AND it has that psychological effect of letting the bump up the price and whatnot because you've already mentally bought the car.

The dealer ALWAYS wins. Be especially wary of the new guy who acts real dumb.

No one here is an expert for the first time, including you and me. Places like this exists to share knowledge, experience and to educate people.

cb1111

The internet is full of stories of people who put down a deposit, flew cross country and only then found out that the car had been sold - sometimes even before the deposit was taken.

Car dealers sell cars for a living. We buy cars a few times in a lifetime. Truth be told, we don't even really know the rules.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Most of my purchases has been out of state and yes, it involves more work. But if the buyer is diligent and does the right homework, there should not be any surprises on the delivery date.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I received an email from Bommarito VW in St Louis that they are having a 30% sale going on for the next 3 days to clear their 2017 inventory. I see that there is one 2017 Autobahn left in their inventory. If anyone is interested, it might be worthy to hit them up.

wantone

Ready to race!
I received an email from Bommarito VW in St Louis that they are having a 30% sale going on for the next 3 days to clear their 2017 inventory. I see that there is one 2017 Autobahn left in their inventory. If anyone is interested, it might be worthy to hit them up.

Any experience with this dealer? Do they add in freight back into their pricing? Doc fees?

Will be interesting what these VW dealers do at the deadline of March 31. Not sure it's the same, but I was working on a 2017 Elantra Sport with a NOVA dealer. Their pricing stunk so I said don't bother. After a bit, ALL buyer rebates expired on the 2017 model. Meaning buyers couldn't qualify for anything. And let's face it, for Hyundai's, that's thousands. I received a call a few weeks ago out of the blue from the dealer and they gave me their bottom price for the same car. It was $2000 more than their earlier pricing. They obviously didn't realize they had already contacted me.

They had better pricing on their 2018 Sport models than this one. The salesman admitted to this. That they could sell a 2018 model lower than this leftover 2017. I asked him WTF and how could they let this happen? He didn't have a response. In short, they are screwed keeping this 2017 and will have to take a loss. Probably a big loss.

What will VW dealers do after March 31 if they don't sell? This Hyundai dealer was ridiculous and will obviously eat it. Will VW dealers will have to do the same?

In short, if a dealer still has plenty of 2017's around, they are probably a pretty crappy dealer.

A legit 30% off an Autobahn would be nice though. Hope someone snatches it up.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Any experience with this dealer? Do they add in freight back into their pricing? Doc fees?

When i spoke to them sometime back, their listing price was including the destination fee unlike the DC dealers and the only add-on was $200 documentation fee. In a whole their pricing was competitive with DC area dealers.

wantone

Ready to race!
When i spoke to them sometime back, their listing price was including the destination fee unlike the DC dealers and the only add-on was $200 documentation fee. In a whole their pricing was competitive with DC area dealers.

Received an email from them on the 1 remaining 2017 Autobahn:

Guaranteed Internet Sale Price $29,350.00 after Volkswagen rebates plus destination or you can take apr as low as 0%. If you qualify for the Recent College Graduate discount, Active duty military or retired military and VW partner discount Bommarito trade assist your price could be $25,455.00.

Brohio

When I was shopping my pricing around for leftover 17 Golf SEs, most around me were listed around $22k or slightly less. I settled on a tungsten silver one got it down to $19,750.

Some dealers I negotiated with would not honor the 0% APR offer on the 17s from VW, so I waited until I found a dealer that would.

Having sold Audis and Mercs for a while I know that they make very little whoring out cars AND not making up any of the money the back end by marking up the rate. In my situation, it worked out better to take the 0% than to take the additional incentives.

Interesting to hear about the experiences people have had with the deposit situation. If I EVER took a deposit form a customer, we pulled the keys and deal jackets and marked the car unavailable in our inventory. That was just as much for the customer as it was for ourselves. There are plenty of other salespeople who will sell it out from under a coworker if they have a chance.

I do know for a fact that if I took a deposit, and then decided to sell it to someone else I would have been fired. That was a consistent policy with all of the Penske Group dealers in our region, and beyond (at least that I encountered). Unfortunately it sounds like there are still plenty of garbage dealers and people in the business still who try and screw their potential customers.

wantone

Ready to race!
When I was shopping my pricing around for leftover 17 Golf SEs, most around me were listed around $22k or slightly less. I settled on a tungsten silver one got it down to $19,750.

That pricing was for an SE and not an S? That's insanely low.