GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Media-in cable

Wolksvagen

Banned
My last mk7 had USB and aux in.

With an iphone connected via an original apple lightening cable to the USB it offered nothing over the Bluetooth connection except the obvious charging.

USB charged the iphone only.

It was handy for my USB thumb drives however.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Do you have a link to find the cables on ebay`?

There are plenty. Search on ebay e.g. “volkswagen mdi aux adapter” or “volkswagen mdi usb adapter”. I don’t remember which seller I used.

/Peter

zgap101

Ready to race!
No MDI slot in mine...

Attachments

• Golf-No-MDI.jpg
    Golf-No-MDI.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5,989

Wolksvagen

Banned
No MDI slot in mine...

USB and phono in are very versatile, they will cover all your needs,

Bad enough that the MDI system was ever conceived, then actually used?!? But remarkable that the poor system has survived through 3 generations of Golf.

I guess it was another cash cow for VW.

zgap101

Ready to race!
I thought maybe the MDI has more functions.

Anyhow, I don't have the need for it & don't have an Apple device for it,
but nice to know.

Strange the dealer gave me a cable.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Apple device or not, I'd far rather have the USB & Phono sockets than Volkswagen's stupid MDI system.

le0n1

Ready to race!
Will the mdi micro-USB cable work as a charger?

witsbusa

Ready to race!
I am trying to follow this discussion.. I believe I only have the MDI connector in that storage compartment behind the shifter.. my car came with the Apple connector and sales guy said there were cables I could get for use with my samsung note 3.. I will hunt for one, but will that allow me to essentially view my phone screen on the touch screen for e-mail, text, googlemaps, etc.? Any insight is appreciated as I do have the phone paired via bluetooth so hands free calling works great, and I am sure the music on the phone can be played just fine, but I understand video output like googlemaps and e-mail won't transmit via bluetooth.. any insight?

gchen6850

Ready to race!
my car came with only the 30 pin connector and my dealer said to get the other one I would have to order it (he suggested amazon/ebay instead of through VW since it would be cheaper) I asked if it would be possible to just swap for the lightning but he said he couldnt. This was in September 2014 when I bought the car.

Fast forward to April 2015 -- I decided to contact VW Customer Care about the lightning cable. Sent a simple email asking if it would be possible to get the lightning since all my media devices use the lightning cable. They replied in less than 48 hours confirming that they would send me a new lightning cable for free. The representative even called me a day later because they were waiting for a shipment of the lightning cables, so my cable would come a little later than expected.

Anyway point of this is although I agree the MDI cable system is....really outdated/poor, if you want the lightning cable and couldn't get it from the dealer, just contact VW! They should send you one for free. Not sure if this would work for the USB cable, but no harm in trying I suppose!