GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
AFR Seems High?

Final got caught up on this thread. Learned a lot! Thanks to all for you sharing your info!

Well, finally did a log in Map 4.

Does my AFR seem high? MAP-4-72*C-ambient

I'm at 25k miles, with all the bolt-ons, but stock DP and IC, and was on the Neuspeed Power Module previously.

I want to get new plugs before logging Map 1 and Map 6, though...

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Final got caught up on this thread. Learned a lot! Thanks to all for you sharing your info!

I'm at 25k miles, with all the bolt-ons, but stock DP and IC, and was on the Neuspeed Power Module previously.

Your Fuel/Afr bias are all set to 0. Set to 100.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie

Map 4 will show the factory AFR target and tuning. They do run lean but what is considered normal these days.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I still had the log window open when I turned on my PC this morning and I noticed (in your CSV log header) that your FOL set at 90. Was this done on purpose or by recommendation by someone? Typically FOL is set between 50-70 for GTI's and Golfs's here in North America, but it does depend on other mods/settings etc. For a typical JB4 setup, Golf 1.8's are usually set on the higher end (60-70) and GTI's on the lower end (50-60). If it is set too high, the higher fuel pressure the JB4 requests can cause the fuel pump(s) to not keep up with demand.

I think your best bet is to work with George @BMS to help troubleshoot this particular 1.8t variant used in your Skoda. Many ROW 1.8t variants are different from the North American 1.8t Golf and will behave differently when tuning with the JB4. For example, many ROW 1.8t's have variable exhaust valve timing while the North American 1.8t does not.

I've run FOL as high as 95. George said above 80 won't make a difference, but I do see a little better trims with 90 vs 80. This was is20 and some ethanol though. The key is to watch you fp_h as well. That's the hpfp. Of you see it drop noticeably, your running out of fuel all together. You want it to stay pretty steady with just a few numbers variation. If it goes from like 14-17 down to below 10, it's no beuno. Best is to compare other logs of your own car to see where you are typically

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I've run FOL as high as 95. George said above 80 won't make a difference, but I do see a little better trims with 90 vs 80. This was is20 and some ethanol though. The key is to watch you fp_h as well. That's the hpfp. Of you see it drop noticeably, your running out of fuel all together. You want it to stay pretty steady with just a few numbers variation. If it goes from like 14-17 down to below 10, it's no beuno. Best is to compare other logs of your own car to see where you are typically

Yeah, I just didn't want to recommend settings that George wouldn't recommend. I think Diggs' advice to lower boost was spot on in this case. I've been running an 18 PSI tune for Winter with a less steep boost curve, and then I run a 21 PSI tune for Summer using (both with FOL 70). It's been great and stable and I haven't been messing with it much. For me, I find this to be a nice trade-off between performance and longevity, but I realize others want to keep pushing things as far as they can.

Steenbeek

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah, I just didn't want to recommend settings that George wouldn't recommend. I think Diggs' advice to lower boost was spot on in this case. I've been running an 18 PSI tune for Winter with a less steep boost curve, and then I run a 21 PSI tune for Summer using (both with FOL 70). It's been great and stable and I haven't been messing with it much. For me, I find this to be a nice trade-off between performance and longevity, but I realize others want to keep pushing things as far as they can.

Guys I am thankfull for your help and your advise.
In my case I don't intend to push to the limit of the engine but I have to cope with trims not going higher than 36/37 :confused: (even if running lean):mad:. And only because of this I need to go little higher than FOL 70. I ran 70 with is12 already and now with the bigger turbo I just want a little more to make it worth it. I don't want to try boosting up to upper 20s but just a little over 20 with tapering to 16/17. That's it. But that is not possible at the moment even with FOL80. My boost needs to drop rapidly after 4500 otherwise afr rises.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Guys I am thankfull for your help and your advise.
In my case I don't intend to push to the limit of the engine but I have to cope with trims not going higher than 36/37 :confused: (even if running lean):mad:. And only because of this I need to go little higher than FOL 70. I ran 70 with is12 already and now with the bigger turbo I just want a little more to make it worth it. I don't want to try boosting up to upper 20s but just a little over 20 with tapering to 16/17. That's it. But that is not possible at the moment even with FOL80. My boost needs to drop rapidly after 4500 otherwise afr rises.

No problem, glad our answers are helpful! Are you still running the GFB+? I had one installed for a the first year and then went back to stock for the last two years. If the piston is not lubed properly (it needs to be redone periodically), these things can cause problems. Some say they will cause problems even when they are lubed, but I won't go that far. I removed mine since I didn't want the routine maintenance. It was very dry and likely on the verge of sticking. Just wanted to mention that in case it is somehow involved, or perhaps it needs some lube;) People either love these things or hate them, LOL.

Steenbeek

Passed Driver's Ed
No problem, glad our answers are helpful! Are you still running the GFB+? I had one installed for a the first year and then went back to stock for the last two years. If the piston is not lubed properly (it needs to be redone periodically), these things can cause problems. Some say they will cause problems even when they are lubed, but I won't go that far. I removed mine since I didn't want the routine maintenance. It was very dry and likely on the verge of sticking. Just wanted to mention that in case it is somehow involved, or perhaps it needs some lube;) People either love these things or hate them, LOL.
Yes still run it. Thought it works fine.

Yesterday I got a cel while pulling 4th till the end. No clue why. Jb4 doesn't have a code. Maybe hook up vdsc again...

Gesendet von meinem ZUK Z2121 mit Tapatalk

Thrawn

Passed Driver's Ed
Mystery...

So I was running Map 4 and while I was driving JB4 had an error message, something like, “Invalid map...”. Then I hit OK and noticed that it changed to Map 0.

Anyone have this happen? I was just driving normal, not WOT.

The only thing worth mentioning is that I was waiting in a drive-thru and saw my IAT at 165. Highest I have ever seen, so I made sure I drove easy.

Scanned with VCDS and found nothing. Really strange...

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
So I was running Map 4 and while I was driving JB4 had an error message, something like, “Invalid map...”. Then I hit OK and noticed that it changed to Map 0.

Anyone have this happen? I was just driving normal, not WOT.

The only thing worth mentioning is that I was waiting in a drive-thru and saw my IAT at 165. Highest I have ever seen, so I made sure I drove easy.

Scanned with VCDS and found nothing. Really strange...

Not sure I fully understand, but will provide my 0.02. What software are you using, the JB4 mobile app or JB4 Windows app? Either way, if the error was on the screen of the JB4 app, then then something odd is going on with the app itself and it's ability to communicate with the JB4 unit. Might just be a communication error, especially if you are using Bluetooth and the mobile app. Once the app successfully writes the map number to the Jb4 unit, it is stored in non-volatile memory on the unit and should be set. Any issues you see from there are likely app or communication issues. Best to open a case with BMS support if this continues. Maybe your platform configuration is not setup correctly in the app or something.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
I had my car tuned with an APR file and I have an IS20. I took a few logs in map 4 to see where it was before I start stacking with JB4 and I noticed something weird with my boost it doesn’t do it all the time but it does it enough and you can definitely feel it hen it does do it. I circled it in the pics below. It starts progressing fine the drops and picks back up. Has anyone seen this or know what might be causing this?

Other shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Not sure I fully understand, but will provide my 0.02. What software are you using, the JB4 mobile app or JB4 Windows app? Either way, if the error was on the screen of the JB4 app, then then something odd is going on with the app itself and it's ability to communicate with the JB4 unit. Might just be a communication error, especially if you are using Bluetooth and the mobile app. Once the app successfully writes the map number to the Jb4 unit, it is stored in non-volatile memory on the unit and should be set. Any issues you see from there are likely app or communication issues. Best to open a case with BMS support if this continues. Maybe your platform configuration is not setup correctly in the app or something.

which octane do you use and your settings?