GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Custom Exhaust GTI Performance Pack

vag_gti_vajda

So, check it out!

I am doing a custom TBE, but am going a fairly conservative route.

I have on order:
- JST139 PAIR 2.5" Stainless Round Exhaust Tips 2 1/2" Inlet / 4" Outlet / 5" Long
- Magnaflow 59959 3" Universal Catalytic Converter High Flow Spun Metallic Cat
- Vibrant 2.5" Exhaust Resonator 18" Long / 5" Body
- VW MK7 Golf GTI Gen 3 2.0T 1.8T Exhaust Downpipe 3'' Down pipe Stainless 2015-17
- Vibrant 11619 J-Style Oxygen Sensor Restrictor Fitting with Adjustable Gas Flow Inserts

This is my current setup so far, and I am looking to potentially pull the trigger on a muffler. Having trouble finding info on whether it'll be completely obnoxious to go without one with this setup?

I know drone will be fine, but will the volume be too much?

Which is best muffler to add to this mixture? Looking for a more refined deep sound.

Lastly, I am going to be going with 2.5 inch mid and tail pipe, and from what I've learned, this should not matter as much as the downpipe (which I'm going 3 inch). Or should I go with a 3 inch running into resonator, then 2.5 twins running out the other side?

FYI I'm limited to 2.5in due to the benders I have at my disposal.

Let me know your input.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I never thought of it tbh, not sure what all I need ?

Just need to buy the bends and have a way to cut them.

Vibrant, Stainless Headers, siliconeintakes.com, and a bunch of other people sell them pre-bent.

Usually 180* is the best value, then just cut what you need

jcarl126

Ready to race!

vag_gti_vajda

This. Throw the 17930 in the stock location like this then build a muffler delete

Perfect, this seams viable. How loud is your setup with no muffler and 3in downpipe?

But second guessing, and thinking I should have just went 3in and bought different tips and the larger resonator.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
It's going to be loud with a 3in downpipe, vibrant 17930 and muffler delete. Not raspy or droney, but loud and bassy. You're basically deleting two mufflers since the OEM downpipe acts like one.

You could replace the stock suitcase muffler with the one from the Magneflow system here: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15357

It looks like this is the same muffler they used based on the dimensions, but with 2.5" pipes. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12216

You could also go offset if you wanted. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12226

Last edited:

vag_gti_vajda

It's going to be loud with a 3in downpipe, vibrant 17930 and muffler delete. Not raspy or droney, but loud and bassy. You're basically deleting two mufflers since the OEM downpipe acts like one.

You could replace the stock suitcase muffler with the one from the Magneflow system here: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=15357

It looks like this is the same muffler they used based on the dimensions, but with 2.5" pipes. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12216

You could also go offset if you wanted. https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=12226

What type of difference do you see offset vs center? I pulled the trigger on the offset, figured it'd be a bit more deep sounding.

On the note of 3 in buying mandreled tube, would cost so much more, as I am going for a full ss setup, which will be tig welded, so lots of labor involved. That's why I'll be going for limited seams, meaning less weld.

That's everybody for the input, definitely convinced me to go muffler! Hoping to achieve the sound I've been looking for.

I will be updating as I get stuff in as well as the finished result! So check back for some goodies as they come in!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
What type of difference do you see offset vs center? I pulled the trigger on the offset, figured it'd be a bit more deep sounding.

On the note of 3 in buying mandreled tube, would cost so much more, as I am going for a full ss setup, which will be tig welded, so lots of labor involved. That's why I'll be going for limited seams, meaning less weld.

That's everybody for the input, definitely convinced me to go muffler! Hoping to achieve the sound I've been looking for.

I will be updating as I get stuff in as well as the finished result! So check back for some goodies as they come in!

If you bought any MF products be aware they’re 409SS and will still rust.

Everything I build is 100% 304L so it stick to Vibrant or Borla products

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Perfect, this seams viable. How loud is your setup with no muffler and 3in downpipe?

But second guessing, and thinking I should have just went 3in and bought different tips and the larger resonator.

How would I find a sound clip of this setup?

Those are two different customers cars. I do have sound clips of each respective set up tho.

Black car has a catless CTS dp with a vibrant 17930 (in place of the stock resonator) in the stock catback https://youtu.be/fBT29yv6VRA

Red car is all stock other than a muffler delete https://youtu.be/u93sEt_FmeI

vag_gti_vajda

Look at all the bootie. GTI_JAKE, just saw your post about the MagnaFlow SS, definitely thought I read that this was all 304, but I think you're correct, wish I saw that before I pulled trigger on muffler! But hey, it was cheap, and if/when it goes, makes an excuse to try something new!

Check out the swag...

IMG_20180425_1848139.jpg
Wolfsburg Tuning Downpipe w Vibrant J Bung

Super impressed with what has came compared to the picture on the listing, recommend the build quality for the price (200 USD shipped). Still made it to my door for under 300 CAD.

Still can't speak for install, but will update of course.

IMG_20180425_1848351.jpg
Downpipe to Resonator Extension, imagine a cat here, lol

IMG_20180425_1848564.jpg
Vibrant 17930 Res and MagnaFlow 12226 Muffler Mag SS 5X8 14 2.5/2.5 O/C

One thing about the resonator:
- I thought this was supposed to be open 'can' I see perforated holes inside, and seams similar to the muffler. Is it same other than missing insulation (which cannot be seen)?

IMG_20180425_1849231.jpg
2.5in to 4in Tips,

Thinking about black oxidizing these tips...

IMG_20180425_1849390.jpg

Still awaiting the cat I bought, but will be fitting the downpipe this weekend, and will weld cat somewhere between res and downpipe.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Look at all the bootie. GTI_JAKE, just saw your post about the MagnaFlow SS, definitely thought I read that this was all 304, but I think you're correct, wish I saw that before I pulled trigger on muffler! But hey, it was cheap, and if/when it goes, makes an excuse to try something new!

Check out the swag...

View attachment 21448
Wolfsburg Tuning Downpipe w Vibrant J Bung

Super impressed with what has came compared to the picture on the listing, recommend the build quality for the price (200 USD shipped). Still made it to my door for under 300 CAD.

Still can't speak for install, but will update of course.

View attachment 21449
Downpipe to Resonator Extension, imagine a cat here, lol

View attachment 21450
Vibrant 17930 Res and MagnaFlow 12226 Muffler Mag SS 5X8 14 2.5/2.5 O/C

One thing about the resonator:
- I thought this was supposed to be open 'can' I see perforated holes inside, and seams similar to the muffler. Is it same other than missing insulation (which cannot be seen)?

View attachment 21451
2.5in to 4in Tips,

Thinking about black oxidizing these tips...

View attachment 21452

Still awaiting the cat I bought, but will be fitting the downpipe this weekend, and will weld cat somewhere between res and downpipe.

Let me know what you think.

resonators are open, meaning they are straight through! they are still a type of muffler, or bullet muffler so they have some deadening material inside, which is what you are seeing packed behind a perforated steel