GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf TDI to GTI TDI conversion thread. !!! Warning Picture Heavy !!!

Micah247

Ready to race!
Installed Tyrolsport Deadset Rigid Subframe Kit.
Installed Power Flex front control arm bushings.
Installed custom rear brake lines. No more zip ties.
Installed full DeAutoLed brake, tail, turn, reverse, fog, coronering LED. 5500k white Hi/Low beams.

I finally went too far by installing the HPA core interlock. Not a good idea for a diesel. It shook so bad at idle you could visibly see the trunk pulsing. I went back to the stock dog bone mount with BFI stage 1 insert. Much better.

Changed door trim from silver to black grid. Finding just the trim was not easy. I had to drill out the plastic rivets. The new rivets I used a torch lighter to melt and set on fire. Lots of black smoke. After a 15 second burn I pressed with a spoon. Holds perfectly.

Upgraded display to 8".

Installed BlackVue dash cam with hotspot. So happy with this front and rear HD camera.

BBS wheels are almost done. Will post pics.

Last edited:

Micah247

Ready to race!
I finally got the exhaust done. Super happy with the result. If you look closely at the photo you'll notice the mini rear spoiler on the left and right of the hatch glass.

Now I just need to do the front bumper, steering wheel and independent rear suspension.

Last edited:

Micah247

Ready to race!
I also need to dye the stitching on the door card red. Trim pieces were tricky, but easier than expected. My right DRL stopped functioning after severe condensation formed in the headlight housing. I thought the module needed to be replaced, but first I put some silica gel packets in the headlight housing. It took a few days, but it dried everything out and the DRL is back up and running.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Nice build OP

Don't knock rear torsion beams my mans.

The absolute ONLY place you'll notice it is going a little too fast on a rough road.

It's still a 'semi' independent design too. IRS will still have situations where one wheel effects the other. Does it happen as soon as it does with the rear beam?

No, but it's a lot closer than a lot of people realize.

The thing that sucks about torsion beam rears is all of your alignment is fixed. Realistically speaking there's not much rear caster/toe/camber change made to the rear of a FWD car anyways.

Oh and sometimes a rear beam set up can be lighter than a IRS setup and the weight has a lower center of gravity.

Food for thought OP. I don't want to smash your dreams, but man it's a pricey bitch to change everything out just so you can say you have IRS.

It DOES open your options up to GTI/R aftermarket though.

Micah247

Ready to race!
Nice build OP

Don't knock rear torsion beams my mans.

The absolute ONLY place you'll notice it is going a little too fast on a rough road.

It's still a 'semi' independent design too. IRS will still have situations where one wheel effects the other. Does it happen as soon as it does with the rear beam?

No, but it's a lot closer than a lot of people realize.

The thing that sucks about torsion beam rears is all of your alignment is fixed. Realistically speaking there's not much rear caster/toe/camber change made to the rear of a FWD car anyways.

Oh and sometimes a rear beam set up can be lighter than a IRS setup and the weight has a lower center of gravity.

Food for thought OP. I don't want to smash your dreams, but man it's a pricey bitch to change everything out just so you can say you have IRS.

It DOES open your options up to GTI/R aftermarket though.

When I installed stiffer rear shocks it got a lot better. Those are all really good points. My primary reason for upgrading to IRS is having more options for the rear end like exhaust, suspension, swaybar etc. I also like taking a project to the max. My luck after spending all that money the car would get smashed a week later. I'm tempted to keep the TB so I can reuse my ad blue tank for methanol injection.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
this is a great thread! hope i can do some of the mods youve done in the future!