GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'Chimera' - Progression of my 1.8T by SKVeeDubR

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I have Euro LED's (mk7) I got for super cheap, sitting at home and Im hesitant to put them on because I care too much about what people think :/ Really petty, but I hate the idea of being a poser.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Id be happy to buy them if they're collecting dust!

Peds04

12/30/2016 - Dealing with the EPC light

So I don't have any fancy diagnostics tools like Ross-Tech at my immediate disposal, and I'm still waiting for my OBDEleven to arrive. Combine this with the fact everyone is on holidays and I thought it would be a while before I could scan the car for codes to try and determine why my EPC light was on.

With the EPC light on, even if the car appears to drive fine there are other systems that can be affected such as your stability system, cruise control etc so I definitely will have to get this sorted if this wheel is to become a permanent fixture.

Fortunately I have a few good friends who are always willing to help out where possible - so I had a friend come to my workplace today so we could go scan the 1.8T (in the middle of a blizzard nonetheless lol)

Pulled fault codes for 'Tiptronic' as well as for cruise control..

So.. I was thoroughly confused now as my car is not a 'tiptronic', the wheel was not a 'DSG' wheel.. Why was I getting faults for tiptronic upshift and downshift?

I asked a couple friends of mine who are both Master Techs for VW if this was a simple case of coding or if there was more to it, neither could say for sure.

I spent a great deal of time searching the interwebz for some insight and came up with nothing.

So for your amusement, here is a picture of the backside of the airbags! Could the difference in harnesses account for the faults I'm finding?

When I got home I reinstalled the original wheel, EPC light now out, everything as it should be. Perhaps I will have to simply have to sell the wheel if I can not get it to function flawlessly.

What I did learn is that many people who say their wheel swaps were 'plug n' play' are not actually plug n' play. Sure they don't have an airbag light or an EPC light, but I've come across many instances where after a swap people's MFSW buttons don't function as intended, where their cruise button now becomes their horn button for example, they lose their cruise control all together etc etc. While this may be fine for some, the perfectionist in me coupled with my OCD would not allow such a thing. It has to be 100% or not at all.

What was the part number on the new airbag mate? I’m confused as hell at the moment with the last three letters of the part number seems to be a few different ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
How did you install the r skirts? I don't want to drill into the rocker either?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
As mentioned on FB page, R skirts do not require drilling. There are hard plastic blocks that are fitted in the rocker cutouts and then skirts screw onto them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
As mentioned on FB page, R skirts do not require drilling. There are hard plastic blocks that are fitted in the rocker cutouts and then skirts screw onto them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sorry for late reply - been laying low on the car front, busy with work etc..

Anyways.. yes the R-skirts are held in at pre-existing factory mounting points at each end by fender liners, and underneath with two delrin/plastic blocks as mounting points.. the top edge is adhered with two-sided 3M tape.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
This captures my philosophy - it's the journey. Once I reach my 'destination' I begin to get complacent/bored.

And I have to apologize to people following this thread - between the extreme cold weather/my full-time job/family/part-time work/and being back in 'school' I have had little time/opportunity to tend to the golf. I promise there is more to come this spring!

wow what a year! well I'm sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while - to be honest it has been a rather slow progression this year. Probably the 'biggest' mod I achieved was hitting that llama on the highway :eek:

anyways - this coming spring promises to be bigger than ever for the Chimera, stay tuned!

Last edited:

khng

wow what a year! well I'm sorry I haven't updated this thread in a while - to be honest it has been a rather slow progression this year. Probably the 'biggest' mod I achieved was hitting that llama on the highway :eek:

anyways - this coming spring promises to be bigger than ever for the Chimera, stay tuned!

Looking forward to see more of your progress in the upcoming year!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
clicked on this thread super fast! looking forward to future updates!

Navi

Autocross Champion
hey just so you know.. I was getting the same codes from a new steering wheel in my GTI. I got a thicker carbon fiber steering wheel and kept getting codes for some tiptronic shit even though I have a 6spd. At first I was pissed because seemed like I was sent the wrong steering wheel but that was not it. The steering wheel was in fact a 6spd wheel. I did a lot of research and in the end, found out that it could be corrected in VCDS. My friend and I hypothesize that some wheels have some kind of hard code or weird setting in them that automatically tells the car steering module that it is a tiptronic wheel. You have to go into VCDS and deselect the tiptronic setting. So when I put my stock wheel back in, that setting was unchecked. When I put in the new wheel it was checked for whatever the fuck reason. Unchecked it, and all error codes went away.

This was def one of the more odd things I have found when modding this car.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
hey just so you know.. I was getting the same codes from a new steering wheel in my GTI. I got a thicker carbon fiber steering wheel and kept getting codes for some tiptronic shit even though I have a 6spd. At first I was pissed because seemed like I was sent the wrong steering wheel but that was not it. The steering wheel was in fact a 6spd wheel. I did a lot of research and in the end, found out that it could be corrected in VCDS. My friend and I hypothesize that some wheels have some kind of hard code or weird setting in them that automatically tells the car steering module that it is a tiptronic wheel. You have to go into VCDS and deselect the tiptronic setting. So when I put my stock wheel back in, that setting was unchecked. When I put in the new wheel it was checked for whatever the fuck reason. Unchecked it, and all error codes went away.

This was def one of the more odd things I have found when modding this car.

Well ok! I thought I had already unchecked those but maybe they returned when I swapped my original wheel back in and then the new wheel again ?

Will report back!!

idontknowmason

How was the install process of that GTI diffuser? I can't seem to find a straight answer on whether the TSI vs GTI/R share the same rear bumper.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
How was the install process of that GTI diffuser? I can't seem to find a straight answer on whether the TSI vs GTI/R share the same rear bumper.

MK7 Golf and GTI rear bumper same part, it’s only the diffuser that is different. R bumper completely different and diffusers not interchangeable. That being said you could easily install an R bumper on a golf/GTI or vice versa.

MK7.5 Is a different story.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Thanks SK VeeDubR for this inspiring journal and sharing with us your build story. I have a 1.8TSI. I purchased it instead of a GTI or used R for the same reasons others have and its so nice and refreshing to see a 1.8TSI get some mod love.

On a side note, where did you get the clubsport spoiler? Do you have part#s? I can't find it for sale anywhere.