GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

Scrodee

Ready to race!
I have not contributed to this thread at all but I have been lurking and thought it appropriate to say thanks to Sandman for such a thorough chronicle!

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have not contributed to this thread at all but I have been lurking and thought it appropriate to say thanks to Sandman for such a thorough chronicle!

'17 Night Blue Metallic GTI Sport 6MT | Southbend Stage 2 Daily | Boomba short shift adapter and knob | VWR downpipe, intercooler, turbo inlet pipe, & turbo muffler delete | AFE drop-in filter | AWE track catback with Vibrant 1750 resonator | Cobb AP, tuned by 5150

Very nice comment. Thank you!
So many have shared and helped me with information.
My goal is to pass that info on so that others can learn from my mistakes and share in the great modification options that exist for our cars.
Just when I think I have seen all we can do with this model, someone posts the new mod or new part. No other way could I have learned all of this. I enjoy my car everyone time I get behind the wheel. The amazing thing is with all the things moded on my car they pale in comparison to others. The list of mods on your car greatly exceed mine which is great. It means I have other options when I think I have nothing else to do.

Welcome to the forum. Stay with us and share! :cool:

Last edited:

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
An oldie but still good.
This was my wife today after I talked her into a drive down Rocky River Road.
Note to self, never take Wife on canyon drives.
Slow down, slow down, slow down!

:p

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
I have some projects to install and others parts coming so thought I might get something installed this weekend. But today (Sunday) looks like it will rain all day. Car is not cleaned. Plan to clean and dress wheel wells when more parts arrive. Have had some noise at parking lot speed turns so removed driver side wheel so I could inspect. I have Eibach Pro Kit Springs so upper coils sit on each other as part of the controlled lowering of the car. To prevent rubbing they come with insulators wrapped around the coils. I also ordered extra from Eibach and added 1 more to insure no rubbing. Both insulators had partially slid off. I applied some glue and put back on so I can watch. If they come off again I will buy more and replace. Item to check if you use. Hard to see, you must reach up and feel the upper one.

LCA is Supaloy and looks to still be in good shape after more than a year. Rear bushing still looks OK and I do not see any rub marks on the Aluminum. This arm fits rear location in subframe better than stamped steel LCA. I also looked at my 034 end links and they look good. Did not see any damage or anything that looked loose. The ball area on ends are rusted more than I thought they would be. Rust in TN is not a big issue. You can see the ball joint move a good bit during driving from the surfaces that do not have rust. Filled the rubber end boots with VW lithium grease to help keep this area free moving.

Also fit and installed the Audi brake air duct parts I ordered from seeing others and using posted part numbers. Purchased from USA Audi parts site. $35 each so not as good as places like cars245 but was short on time since ordering while at work.
As stated I have Supaloy LCA so had to trim to fit. Back three posts were cut off. The front one next to tire was shortened.
Easy to cut these with hack saw and with knife plastic is easily trimmed and smoother to correct edges. I test fit with with supplied tie wraps, but decided to trim more and removed them. Used some wider wraps I had and they fit perfect. Once the inside and outside wraps are in place the part is not moving. On the center wrap I did not follow the guides on part as the angle was not right for LCA. I tighten in a more direct location that will hold better.
They fit well. No rubbing. It looks like the deflector in front of wheel would keep air from hitting the new ducts but the existing opening for brake air likely let's enough in for duct to push air toward wheel. I do not track but thought I would try a fun project.
Only issue is that with only the driver side installed when going over 100mph the car pulls to the left! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
More Audi brake duct pics with part info.

I ordered 2 more Esco flat top jack stands from Amazon.com
Search for the low profile stands. Only around 11" tall at lowest setting. Hold 3,000lbs each and have nice wide feet. The rubber tops are now made from different and better rubber. Does not smell like____. On Amazon.com the low profile stand does not have correct picture. It shows the 13" stand and dimensions listed are also 13" stand but description states low profile stand requested from guys with lowered cars. I verified this with vendor on my first order over a year ago. Solid stand and well built. Flat top good for Audi lift pads also.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The 340mm discs, less suspension droop & the fact you have placed them closer to the engine than I did, defo helps to prevent duct/calliper interference on full lock..

The 9mm cable ties are way stronger & fit better & look more OEM than the supplied 7.6mm wide ones..

I notice that my car freewheels more after throttle lift off compared to the TT-RS ones I had fitted...

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The 340mm discs, less suspension droop & the fact you have placed them closer to the engine than I did, defo helps to prevent duct/calliper interference on full lock..

The 9mm cable ties are way stronger & fit better & look more OEM than the supplied 7.6mm wide ones..

I notice that my car freewheels more after throttle lift off compared to the TT-RS ones I had fitted...

Thanks to you and a couple others for install info.
Made it quicker knowing I would mod them some.
I moved it around looking for the best feel. In the position I used it lined up best with the hole toward the engine and the wrap by wheel also felt good so it was decided. On the right side install I plan to cut the post by wheel a little more. This will tighten the wheel wrap a more. An interesting part. Never had this on a vehicle. With new discs and pads coming car will look like track monster on front suspension. Guess I should autocross it to see how it drives.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
What happened to srs part??

Late winter for one.
The other was had to have a second paint shop redo them as first took 3 weeks to not do much of nothing. Ready now.
We are forecasted sunny both days this weekend. Planning for that. Will post pics and info.

Some more pre fit picture before paint.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Inside look of oil pan.
From ECS the kit has 20 new bolts, tube of sealant, and a magnetic drain plug.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180320/1035a0634dd4a98b4b21093ae38df8b3.jpg[IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[/QUOTE]

Meh.

For almost 500 bucks I would have expected some better baffling set up inside the pan to help prevent oil slosh in track driving. I mean technically there's some, but yeah...

...also if you're looking for lower oil temps you can run a lighter weight oil.

The TCR cars run 5w30.

High oil temps aren't a horrible thing either, it's high that never comes down that's a problem, and too low that's a problem. Either way nice journal OP.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Thanks to you and a couple others for install info.
Made it quicker knowing I would mod them some.
I moved it around looking for the best feel. In the position I used it lined up best with the hole toward the engine and the wrap by wheel also felt good so it was decided. On the right side install I plan to cut the post by wheel a little more. This will tighten the wheel wrap a more. An interesting part. Never had this on a vehicle. With new discs and pads coming car will look like track monster on front suspension. Guess I should autocross it to see how it drives.

Glad to see they work on the supalloy arms. I dunno how much they'll help on AutoX, but on a track they will definitely help out a ton.

Brake cooling is one of the best track day braking mods you can do. A lot of people go with the mega bling 6 piston monobloc caliper and some cheap solid slotted and drilled rotor when a quality solid blank or money spent on a quality floating rotor and some brake cooling will hands down do the trick.

Biggest "upgrade" when going to a monobloc caliper is weight savings, then heat dissipation second. You can get the same weight savings with an aluminum hatted floating rotor, which as a bonus gives way better braking stability, and add cooling via ducts/deflectors and you'll have all the brakes you'll ever need that just will lack the "street cred" of 2000-3000 dollar brakes that get pwnt if they see too much condensation or a winter that has any snow involved at all.

Said it in the last post, but it's nice to see someone trying to go a more subtle route. Are you on stock dampers with your eibach pro kit?

It is strange that your insulator is moving too. I haven't heard too much about them moving.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Glad to see they work on the supalloy arms. I dunno how much they'll help on AutoX, but on a track they will definitely help out a ton.

Brake cooling is one of the best track day braking mods you can do. A lot of people go with the mega bling 6 piston monobloc caliper and some cheap solid slotted and drilled rotor when a quality solid blank or money spent on a quality floating rotor and some brake cooling will hands down do the trick.

Biggest "upgrade" when going to a monobloc caliper is weight savings, then heat dissipation second. You can get the same weight savings with an aluminum hatted floating rotor, which as a bonus gives way better braking stability, and add cooling via ducts/deflectors and you'll have all the brakes you'll ever need that just will lack the "street cred" of 2000-3000 dollar brakes that get pwnt if they see too much condensation or a winter that has any snow involved at all.

Said it in the last post, but it's nice to see someone trying to go a more subtle route. Are you on stock dampers with your eibach pro kit?

It is strange that your insulator is moving too. I haven't heard too much about them moving.

Yes running stock DCC shocks. At 50,000. 40,000 lowered.
This is the first time I have had an insulator slide off. They are backed with glue when installed. When I put summer tires on I will check and if off will replace one side as I have two spares, then order more. I will make sure to clean them as best I can before adding new to get good adhesion.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
New Under Engine Cover.

I know many love the OE full under engine cover discussed here on the forum but for my Wife’s Tucson I installed an under engine cover from Ali-Express. I found the fit was perfect, design looked good and plastic material was almost 5mm thick. So when I found they also made a cover for the MK7 GTI I purchased it to try. For $140 I thought the cost was low enough in case I did not want to use it. I have had the cover for a few months but with nice weather I installed it today.

Cover arrived in a bag type shipper. All hardware needed was included. I wanted to use stainless steel bolts and washers so took the bolt kit to Lowe’s and matched the parts. I used my home made ramps to lift the car. Enough room to do the job but jack stands might be better for more room, but I like the safety of my ramps.

Compared to OE half cover. OE is more like a small aero cover

Road side.

Engine side

Engine side close up.

The cover, like others blocks half of the dog bone mount. Not sure why they do not just mold around, so I marked as best I could and cut around. Turned out ok, off a little. When you are old, reading glasses do not help a lot under a car.

I did have to trim a little around my Audi brake disc cooling deflectors. Not a lot.

golfdave, this is for you!
I added 5 anchors on the front lip. None mount to the frame but does reinforce the front. Used two types of fasteners. This was not part of purchase parts. I added these. Took some time as I had to drill holes, install bolt clips and line them up.

The three new back end bolts use existing bolt locations. Nice these are in place.

I think it looks good. Fit is great.
I though the cover might be touching the ECS oil pan but there is about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch air gap.

Last edited:

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Link to part on Ali-Express.

Look what I found on AliExpress
http://s.aliexpress.com/jMv2eyam

Features:
Fit is very good
Thick!
Clean and nice finish inside and out.
3 access panels.

1 for oil pan drain.
1 for transmission oil drain.
1 for access the a front lower engine plug someone might want to check and make sure plugged in. You can remove this small panel only to get a view of the lower plug.

View of my ECS pan through the front window.