GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What to Inspect Prior to Warranty Expiration

mercurial_dirigible

Passed Driver's Ed
Coming up on the expiration of the warranty for my 2017 Autobahn. Figured it would be smart to give the car a once-over and see if there is anything that should be flagged to the dealer for work under warranty.

Any advice on common issues that would be good to have checked / fixed as I approach 30,000 miles?

Current to-do list:
- TSB for cracking sunroof frame (no leaks yet but not going to push my luck)
- Unreliable driver's side window switches (auto up/down function often cuts out)
- Passenger side mirror dips on reverse but often gets stuck in dipped position, requiring manual adjustment
- Paint peeling where rear bumper meets quarter-panel

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thermostat and/or water pumps have been leaking more regularly lately, or at least I feel like I read about them quite a bit on here. Might be more specific to early years though (mine is a 2015 and it's slowly leaking and getting looked at in a couple of weeks).

joesid

Go Kart Newbie
TSB for cracking sunroof frame -
It's possible your car was shipped with the TSB already done. Unlike the rear squeak TSB, I'm pretty sure the adhesive tape was done automatically. Regardless, I would definitely make sure it's done as I can't think of any harm in reinforcing known weak areas.

Unreliable driver's side window switches (auto up/down function often cuts out) -
It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't bother. There seem to be complaints about it on every MQB car, and as far as I know, there is no fix.

Passenger side mirror dips on reverse but often gets stuck in dipped position, requiring manual adjustment -
That sounds like a coding issue, and not something warranty related.

Paint peeling where rear bumper meets quarter-pane -
There is no harm asking about it :)

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Thermostat and/or water pumps have been leaking more regularly lately, or at least I feel like I read about them quite a bit on here. Might be more specific to early years though (mine is a 2015 and it's slowly leaking and getting looked at in a couple of weeks).

Covered under powertrain so he's still good there

cb1111

You'll want to go to a trusted indy and have them give it a once over. It'll cost a half hour to an hour of labor but they'll save you that - almost guaranteed.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Other than possibly the thermostat housing which has a 60,000 mile warranty, is a dealer going to fix anything under warranty that doesn’t throw a code?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3

Just had mine replaced yesterday at 59,300

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Unreliable driver's side window switches (auto up/down function often cuts out) -
It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't bother. There seem to be complaints about it on every MQB car, and as far as I know, there is no fix.

I get this occasionally with the passenger front window. I even got a stored soft code for it. I have one more year of my bumper to bumper. I might take it in...but doubt they'll find anything.