GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Startup engine noise -- this isnt the normal start up noise, right?

LVGolfR

Passed Driver's Ed
Make sure to update. I had it on my stock engine, and I have the same sound, although a little softer on my built one.

Last edited:

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Per techline, the dealer replaced the cam adjusters. It sounded good at the dealer, but later when I started it I thought I heard something.

I guess I will put it side by side with another R and see if it sounds similar.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Per techline, the dealer replaced the cam adjusters. It sounded good at the dealer, but later when I started it I thought I heard something.

I guess I will put it side by side with another R and see if it sounds similar.

Post another video so we can hear the difference.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You are kidding right? Did you listen to both samples? The second half of the video there is clicking/clacking sound in the first few seconds

Okay I can hear that but honestly both sound terrible to me. I have an SE FBO with an IS38 and used an engine treatment from a company named Cerma and my engine is very quiet on start up.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay I can hear that but honestly both sound terrible to me. I have an SE FBO with an IS38 and used an engine treatment from a company named Cerma and my engine is very quiet on start up.

The car spent a few days two weeks ago at the dealer for random startup sounds. Nothing was identified.

And last Wednesday the engine suffered catastrophic engine failure. Sounds like it spun a bearing with the loudest rod knock ever.

VW dispatched a "QTM" to come examine it. I fully expected them to give me grief even though the cars has been in five times for either weird random start up noises or multiple random misfires with less than 40k miles on the clock. The dealer has done all the oil changes at 5-7k apart.

Long story short, they are shipping a new engine from Germany. Meanwhile, they gave me a Touareg to putter around in.

A Happy Ending, I hope.

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
I do have one concern. They are going to swap the engine and not the turbo. My concern is, if there is metal in the oil, then there is metal in the turbo. That would seem to imply the turbo is going to fail and spew metal into the intake which will again lead to engine failure.

Am I over thinking this?

xkeyscore

Passed Driver's Ed
Did they specifically state this? I would be surprised if it didn't have a turbo already on it.

I asked about it via a txt msg. I got this as a response...

"I will ask him if they found metal in it but I know he will check that regardless, if he hasnt already. I completely understand, we will make sure everything is okay I promise."

There is metal. Nothing that sounds like this engine gets out without metal.

I dont know if it will take eighteen days or eighteen months but tiny little flakes of metal will tear up the turbo eventually. It just needs to be scarred to eventually break down. With just a year and change left on the powertrain that is not the game I want to play.