GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window Tint on my MK7

ChicagoautoprosMK7

When I bought my MK7 it already had window tint on it. Seemed to be a decent install, there were small gaps on the driver and passenger windows and they didn't tint the small front packet windows but, it wasn't until I got the new tint on that I realized the old tint had an ugly brown hue to it. Anyway, I did a whole video of the removal process and how to tint those small little pocket windows. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zueRRPYUWRU&t=396s

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
I just bought a GTI and it has one of the lightest tints possible. It is kind of annoying because now I'll have to pay an installer extra for the removal cost which seems to be a lot around here. What tint brand do you personally recommend? I used 3M color stable on my Golf and didn't like the greenish look it often had under certain lighting conditions.

cb1111

I just bought a GTI and it has one of the lightest tints possible. It is kind of annoying because now I'll have to pay an installer extra for the removal cost which seems to be a lot around here. What tint brand do you personally recommend? I used 3M color stable on my Golf and didn't like the greenish look it often had under certain lighting conditions.
That "light" tint might be ceramic, so that may have the UV protection of 5% limo tint.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
What tint brand do you personally recommend? I used 3M color stable on my Golf and didn't like the greenish look it often had under certain lighting conditions.

I'm very happy with SunTek brand. I've had it on 6 cars over the years.

The CXP, which is what I've had on my last 2 cars, stays pretty grayish in all lighting conditions. I would say 35% all the way around is probably best. I went 35% front and 18% rear, and wish I didn't do the rears so dark as it's tough for me at night sometimes.

The Carbon can look a little brown at times in certain light, but generally not. We have it on my wife's 2015 Golf SE with tan interior too, so that may be helping to distort the color to my eyes a bit.

Overall the brand has held up well on every vehicle I've had it on. 3 mk7s, a Subaru, a BMW and a Pontiac a while back.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
3M Crystalline is doing great (50%) here in the armpit of the South.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I know it's a tint thread, but that video had a lot of ppf in it too. I keep seeing people recommend ppf, but is it really that worth it? I live in FL. I've seen what a wrapped car that sits out in the sun eventually looks like. I feel like it'll look great for maybe 3 years at the most and then it'll start to yellow, crack, fade...The sun will destroy it and then I'll have a big pain in the ass removing it. I can't imagine it being easy to remove before the sun destroys it too, I'm guessing there'd be a lot of adhesive left over that'd be stuck to the paint.

Am I right with my assumptions or is this stuff really that good?

cb1111

I know it's a tint thread, but that video had a lot of ppf in it too. I keep seeing people recommend ppf, but is it really that worth it? I live in FL. I've seen what a wrapped car that sits out in the sun eventually looks like. I feel like it'll look great for maybe 3 years at the most and then it'll start to yellow, crack, fade...The sun will destroy it and then I'll have a big pain in the ass removing it. I can't imagine it being easy to remove before the sun destroys it too, I'm guessing there'd be a lot of adhesive left over that'd be stuck to the paint.

You should find a ppf thread, but yes - not so much for sunprotection, but for chip protection.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I think PPF is one of the things I regret not doing. I should have just wrapped my front bumper. That's where the paint chips and pitting seem to be.

cb1111

I think PPF is one of the things I regret not doing. I should have just wrapped my front bumper. That's where the paint chips and pitting seem to be.
Bumper, about 12 inches of hood and the corresponding area on front fenders, mirror caps, door handle cups and the top of the rear bumper.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Bumper, about 12 inches of hood and the corresponding area on front fenders, mirror caps, door handle cups and the top of the rear bumper.

I don’t have chips on the fenders or side mirrors. I do have a few small chips on the front of the hood. I also have one fairly high up on the hood. If I was going to do the hood...I’d do the entire hood. The front bumper is what takes the hits. When I shine a light on the flat area on the front bumper...I can see pits in the paint. The paint looks like its still there...but there are tiny dimples in the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cb1111

I don’t have chips on the fenders or side mirrors. I do have a few small chips on the front of the hood. I also have one fairly high up on the hood. If I was going to do the hood...I’d do the entire hood. The front bumper is what takes the hits. When I shine a light on the flat area on the front bumper...I can see pits in the paint. The paint looks like its still there...but there are tiny dimples in the paint.

A few years ago, I lightly scraped my mirror on one of those ticket machines in a parking garage. I peeled the PPF off, replaced it and no evidence of any damage.

ProAesthetix

Car(s)
2021 MK7.5 GTI

I’m a professional PPF installer and tint installer. The technology now days with PPF is far more advance than when it first came out. SUNTEK and XPEL PPF has a 10 year warranty for. I would recommend regular washes or even a ceramic coating on top of the PPF, it would last a lot longer. Well worth the investment. Better than no protection at the end of the day [emoji41] hope that helps! Check my MK7 with a full frontal install.

ProAesthetix

Car(s)
2021 MK7.5 GTI
I’m a professional PPF installer and tint installer. The technology now days with PPF is far more advance than when it first came out. SUNTEK and XPEL PPF has a 10 year warranty. I would recommend regular washes or even a ceramic coating on top of the PPF, it would last a lot longer. Well worth the investment. Better than no protection at the end of the day [emoji41] hope that helps! Check my MK7 with a full frontal install.