GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quite a few little things with my Golf R - should I be concerned

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
I bought my 2018 Golf R on 12/31/18. It was built - according to the door jamb - in August of 2017. It was new and only had 25 miles on it. The dealer I bought it from claimed to have only had it for "about four months" so the rest of my R's story is unknown. I guess that means it sat a while somewhere.

I'm mentioning that because I'm having quite a few small and annoying problems with my R. Note that this is my first VW so I don't know if my problems are common to the Golf/R line, or VW as a whole? Here's what's been wrong with it thus far:

• The head unit was replaced because the SD Card reader wasn't functioning correctly.
  • On the trip home from purchasing the car (I live in NC and bought the car in MD), I noticed a very bad vibration at most speeds. Took it to VW and they told me the wheels had the 'old style' weights attached to them and were way out of balance. They rebalanced the tires with what they called the 'new style' weights. I remember them asking where I bought it from and had I taken it anywhere else, assuming because of what they deemed to be a sloppy balance job.
  • Glove box light didn't work because the harness was not connected under the hood when the car was built.
  • As of about a week ago, the driver's window switch auto up/down function is intermittent.
  • As of yesterday, the backup camera has developed only what I can describe as 'interference'... it looks like a TV screen with poor reception.

Are all of these common issues? Should I be concerned about something more serious down the road? Am I worrying over nothing?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't think that you have reason to believe there's more serious problems ahead. Of course anything can happen to any car. It sounds like the problems have been fixed except for the backup camera and I would show the dealer. The one touch window switch is a problem common to the Golf. I had it and they replaced the switch under warranty. There is a way to reprogram the window switch. I'm not sure what it is but it has something to do with holding the switch down for 10 seconds. Something like that and I'm sure someone else will respond. But if it can't be fixed it's under warranty.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
Replacing the head unit or performing a software update was common on the MK7’s; not sure about the MK7.5 but you’re probably good.

Your car probably sat at the port for a long time giving the tires a flat spot/out of round in addition to out of balance. If the issue reoccurs you could ask for new tires but doubtful they will help.

The window switch is a very well known and unresolved issue. Hold the switch up for three seconds and it will reset (until it fails again).

The line to the camera probably wasn’t seated properly when they replaced the MIB. Take the car back in.

Last edited:

Luckyarmpit

Ready to race!
Thanks all for your replies. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the rear washer will leak. None of those are major components and I do understand this is complicated car stuffed full of tech... it just had me wondering if the car was built on a Monday or a Friday, lol. Little things can add up to big things, so that's why I was asking.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all for your replies. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the rear washer will leak. None of those are major components and I do understand this is complicated car stuffed full of tech... it just had me wondering if the car was built on a Monday or a Friday, lol. Little things can add up to big things, so that's why I was asking.

another common issue.

S1ack

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Mk7 R

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
Water infiltration in the hatch area is one of the only issues we had with our 2018, I seem to remember they replaced the entire rubber molding around the hatch (under warranty of course), hasn't leaked since. Realize it is not exactly the same but it may help.