GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR DSG tune

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Reviving an old thread - but curious how your experience has been with the TCU tune, now that you’ve had it for some time?

Two general questions of my own for the community out there. Just bought a 2018 MK7 GTI SE, and am loving it so far. But really itching to unleash the potential of this beast. Not too worried about the cost, but freaking out (perhaps a bit uneccesarily) about the warranty voiding. Just paranoid that I will break something and be out of pocket for repairs, since I have a difficult local VW dealership who is not an APR dealer.

1. Do you think just the APR TCU upgrade is worthy in an of itself, or is Stage I also a must have?

2. Will just the DSG tune (assuming no Stage I done simultaneously) void the warranty as well?

Thanks!!
I can chime in with my Unitronic experience. I added a st2 TCU after having a st1 ECU for half a year.
I drive exclusively in M mode, and the TCU tune improved shift speed. Noticeably better.
I tried D mode and the shift points are indeed different from stock and better. I assume APR is not any worse.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mynewfast

I can chime in with my Unitronic experience. I added a st2 TCU after having a st1 ECU for half a year.
I drive exclusively in M mode, and the TCU tune improved shift speed. Noticeably better.
I tried D mode and the shift points are indeed different from stock and better. I assume APR is not any worse.

I guess the question is if anyone has experience with a DSG tune without the added extra HP in Stage I tune. I would imagine that improved timing and ratios of gear changes would make even the stock engine HP more lively. But just want to confirm with folks’ experience.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I guess the question is if anyone has experience with a DSG tune without the added extra HP in Stage I tune. I would imagine that improved timing and ratios of gear changes would make even the stock engine HP more lively. But just want to confirm with folks’ experience.
You cam google the question. There's a thread on Reddit. From what I remember after reading forums, the TCU tune helps in the absence of an ECU tune as well. And I see no reason why it would not.

mynewfast

Just got the DSG tune only (no ECU tune) and man this is a new car! Honestly it’s how it should have come in stock. D finally holds gears well and doesn’t go to 6th at 20mph 2000 rpm. And S isn’t stuck on a constant redline. The optimized rev matching really unleashed the true HP of this car. So much so that I will probably not get the Stage 1 ECU (just to note I am surrounded by 35-40mph commutes). Super satisfied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
I got DSG tune during waterfest in NJ from APR. Really makes the car new. The sports mode now doesn't stick to red line all the way. Additionally drive stays in lower gears longer for city driving. It goes to 6th gear when it sees you are legit just cruising 50mph opposed to 40.

Stays in that 3rd gear much longer (which is great)

Additionally I went to stage 2, DP and IC. OMFG I LOVE MY CAR but I hate not having AWD...my wheels just spin no matter what until 3rd gear

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
anyone with the stage 3 DSG tune experience violent shifts here and there?