GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD Service?

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
I agree with some of what you say but most I just don't swallow. I understand the whole balance of price vs. content and build, etc.

I know many people that follow the book religiously, so if it's not listed they won't have it serviced. It should be listed in the book, end of subject.

I never disagreed with this

Omission doesn't justify the decision, more or less saying that we're the small fries in all of this and someone in the US will buy their products whether they treat us right or not.

That's not just a VW thing that's almost all big companies in a nut shell.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
That is true, a dedicated VW-head like me continues to buy even though the dealer network is abysmal and has been for awhile. But I'm told by other car owners (Ford for one) it's no different for other makes.

So I agree. The consumer has to take on the burden of making sure maintenance is done and asking the right questions, etc, etc. and then getting the right answers. Getting the correct answers is the tough part sometimes. Having perseverance is a must, can't just take the dealers answer of "that's normal" and walk away. Keep at it, keep bugging them, etc. It's a helluva way to own a car, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

reyoasian

Passed Driver's Ed
There's a bottom drain, and side fill, set of 8mm hex plugs. Part #WHT007168.
1 bottle (850 ml) of Haldex fluid. Part #G060175A2.
If you track the car, changing more frequently than every 30k miles would probably be a good idea.

That's the exact same fluid for the R/S3 Haldex Clutch.
Nice - easy access and cheap!

robhagopian1

Looks like nobody posted the old webinar from BW of all people (joke.)

https://automotivemegatrends.com/en...electronic-limited-slip-differential-control/

Note there's a dl link for a pdf of the slides (you want to grab it if you're intending to actually watch the vid I'd think.)

Long but fun if you like to listen to serious minded people lecturing on arcane subjects.

This is one of the better posts here - thank you! Note that they call it a differential and they say the oil fill is for life.

RSLICK

Ready to race!
Car(s)
7.5 Autobahn DSG
Video

AskDAP has a video on Youtube on how to change the fluid. Not so easy. Also, GolfDave has a guide on the LSD on this forum This is a must read.

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
It's listed in the 2018 manual as change every 3 years.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I'm at 34k ish miles, and haven't had LSD service. I do currently have a service warning pop up on my dash when i start the car - "service in 1700 miles" and it shows the engine/trans. What service gets done at 35k? I thought trans service was 40K??

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
I'm at 34k ish miles, and haven't had LSD service. I do currently have a service warning pop up on my dash when i start the car - "service in 1700 miles" and it shows the engine/trans. What service gets done at 35k? I thought trans service was 40K??

it all depends on PID. The dealer should of reset everything so that the service light comes on near 10k or 12months. So that's why its probably off sync to what you think it should be.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This is fascinating because early Mk7 manuals had this note. 2017 manuals make zero mention of the VAQ service, and my dealer has no info.

That's because they don't know how to look at the ERWIN VAG tech documents properly..& they have access to these & are supposed to understand them...

This is why I posted the full ERWIN service schedule valid from June 2017 & which superseded all previous editions...

All I did was split up the main big one into service type, fuel type & country type...VAQ is always 3yrs etc as a separate listed item like the haldex for the AWD

Hoon

Autocross Champion
AskDAP has a video on Youtube on how to change the fluid. Not so easy. Also, GolfDave has a guide on the LSD on this forum This is a must read.

It's 2 plugs and a bottle with a hose.

Exactly the same procedure as a manual transmission fluid change.