GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New to modding, can you help me review my build/upgrade path?

Echo

Hold up on the exhaust. The factory exhaust sounds a lot better once you have a downpipe on, see how you feel.

Oh this is a great idea. I actually like how it sounds but it's waaay too quiet when WOT/over 4k rpms. I know it's a balancing act but if it can be quiet and refined under 3k and screams like a banshee over that, I'll be one happy camper. That's the big reason I was really considering the valved exhaust. I may not achieve that with just a DP but I am curious what that setup sounds like.

Get dedicated summer and winter tires, all-seasons are silly on a stage 2 car.

I really struggle with this mostly due to storage space for the wheels, that's really the biggest hang-up. If I ever got a 2 car garage I'd be doing this no problem.

Cheap sleeper, buy in this order.

-1: do airbox mod (remove snowgrate,) also replace with k&n drop in Free/55$

[...]

Fast, Reliable, and cheap, pick 2 because you can never have all 3

I don't want a sleeper, just something that I can drive and feel refined and quiet when cruising/staying below 3k rpm's. It's totally fine if it looks fast/aggressive (in fact I want it to). Once I want to let loose, I'm happy to let everyone know it.

I actually did not know about the snowgrate in the intake. Certainly something to consider

I pick fast and reliable. I'm in no hurry to do all these upgrades and I have a good monthly budget for it. I know the best way is just to buy a faster car, but then it wouldn't be mine.

-BFI mounts. Start with just stage 1 dog bone mount for less Nvh, and of course disable the soundeckor. I’ve had my BFI stage 2 mounts over 70k miles issue free

-jb4 is great if you’re concerned with warranty, but there’s so many great tuning options out there ranging from set it and forget it OTS tunes like APR and Unitronic to pro tunes via Mastero or Cobb.

-Downpipe. There’s no inspections in Ohio, so if you do a real tune (not jb4) cel won’t be an issue. If you do decide to try jb4 most have good luck with the Vibrant adjustable J spacer to defeat CEL

-clutch. DKM MS twin disk (aka stage 3). Plenty of headroom for additional mods, great feel, and I’ve been running mine for 30,000+ miles issue free

Oh yes I forgot to mention I have an OBDEleven and have made changes like window control from key fob and of course disabling the Soundaktor. I've done that long ago and I'm glad to be rid of it. The only thing I want coming from my speakers is some rockin' music :cool:

For some reason I've never been interested in piggybacks like the JB4. I'm not concerned with resale value but I am most certainly still under warranty. That's a big reason why I've put the tuning off until late in the upgrade path.

Appreciate the clutch recommendation, that's something I know I need to do more research on but I like the idea of getting one that's on the overengineered side.

Ill touch on these things:

DWS is not a performance tire. Get a true summer tire if you want good traction
Sigma 6 Short Shifter - i like the oem euro short shifter especially for only $55
Clutch Assist Spring Removal - i prefer it on
ECS Clutch Bleeder Valve - waste of money, skip. Do the clutch delay valve removal.
Stainless steel clutch and brake lines - waste of money, skip
Rear sway bar - must upgrade. i have the eibach 25mm hollow and its great. Does not reduce all the body roll but much better than stock.

Yeah as mentioned above the wheel/tire situation is really tricky for me. Don't have much more room to store another set of wheels/tires unless I turn them into end tables or something. If I end up spinning tires in 3rd gear or something then I'll just have to eat that bullet

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sigma 6 shifter but the euro shifter being OEM is a huge draw. I'm really hoping I can get to a MK7 meetup where someone would let me wiggle their stick around in park (...giggity)

Have you done anything else to your car to help induce/reduce over/understeer? Or do you think the rear sway bar puts the GTI in a good balanced spot? My goal here is to have it pretty well balanced, but if it had to be biased, have it biased towards oversteer.

Last edited:

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
Oh this is a great idea. I actually like how it sounds but it's waaay too quiet when WOT/over 4k rpms. I know it's a balancing act but if it can be quiet and refined under 3k and screams like a banshee over that, I'll be one happy camper. That's the big reason I was really considering the valved exhaust. I may not achieve that with just a DP but I am curious what that setup sounds like.

I really struggle with this mostly due to storage space for the wheels, that's really the biggest hang-up. If I ever got a 2 car garage I'd be doing this no problem.

I don't want a sleeper, just something that I can drive and feel refined and quiet when cruising/staying below 3k rpm's. It's totally fine if it looks fast/aggressive (in fact I want it to). Once I want to let loose, I'm happy to let everyone know it.

I actually did not know about the snowgrate in the intake. Certainly something to consider

I pick fast and reliable. I'm in no hurry to do all these upgrades and I have a good monthly budget for it. I know the best way is just to buy a faster car, but then it wouldn't be mine.

Oh yes I forgot to mention I have an OBDEleven and have made changes like window control from key fob and of course disabling the Soundaktor. I've done that long ago and I'm glad to be rid of it. The only thing I want coming from my speakers is some rockin' music :cool:

For some reason I've never been interested in piggybacks like the JB4. I'm not concerned with resale value but I am most certainly still under warranty. That's a big reason why I've put the tuning off until late in the upgrade path.

Appreciate the clutch recommendation, that's something I know I need to do more research on but I like the idea of getting one that's on the overengineered side.

Yeah as mentioned above the wheel/tire situation is really tricky for me. Don't have much more room to store another set of wheels/tires unless I turn them into end tables or something. If I end up spinning tires in 3rd gear or something then I'll just have to eat that bullet

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sigma 6 shifter but the euro shifter being OEM is a huge draw. I'm really hoping I can get to a MK7 meetup where someone would let me wiggle their stick around in park (...giggity)

Have you done anything else to your car to help induce/reduce over/understeer? Or do you think the rear sway bar puts the GTI in a good balanced spot? My goal here is to have it pretty well balanced, but if it had to be balanced, have it biased towards oversteer.

well its a good choice to choose fast and reliable, that being said yes its the $$$ way but the right way imo. If you want quite and are heavy on quite, then you can try to stock intake mod and drop in filter, i mean its like 50$ more air.

The mods i put above are the basic hey these are kinda cheap but people think it works for under 2500.

I just put money towards GTI Jakes FMIC, its considered one of the best and worth the money.

I also am getting a stg 3 SouthBend clutch on 26th, yes pricy but it will hold my long term power goals.

I see you spoke about clutch chatter, there was another thread saying you can change the trans-fluid and this helps on that chatter alot.

So yeah if you have a good bit of money put aside and thats not an issue.
Then I would say my refined list:
1. clutch mods (free and do help) search for the thread
2. DP
3. JB4 or a real tune (depends on if you care about warranty ect)
4. Intercooler / clutch / tires

search gti jake baun performance, they say its top quality on here

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
"Accidentally" drive over some nails with the stock all seasons. You won't miss them.

Bang:Buck ratio of mods
#1 Snow screen removal
#2 Tires
#3 JB4
#4 That DG short shifter is indeed excellent. He's been at it for years, VW really should hire him.
#5 Clutch upgrade (sucks but is needed past this point)
#6 Ultra fuel
#7 Some form of dogbone insert. Pick yer poison.
#8 FM Intercooler (#heatsoakedlivesmatter)
#Q All the other stuff that gets real pricey real quick. Slippery slope of "Well, while I'm already in there so I guess I might as well ___________"

Stop at 8, you'll give yourself lots of giggles behind the wheel. The next step to FBO Stage 2 is a pretty pricey jump. Pricey enough that you might as well add a bigger snail to the list.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
I am in no position to give any advice since I am new to this myself but I'm surprised noone suggested Boomba short shift trans adapter, $85 and you can do it yourself in 15 min. I love it, cut down so much travels!
I also have no space for wheels/tires but I heard tires should be on top of your list.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
+1 on the cheap/free clutch pedal mods. The CDV + clutch stop really helped and everything takes a few min.

I am also looking at the DG Sigma 6, as well as the shaft bushings + SuperPin + shift knob to improve the shifter. I have a shift knob adapter on the way to be able to use my other shift knobs as well.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
My upgrade path is the mild not wild direction.

Coilovers, wheels, Euro tail lights, lip spoiler, hatch spoiler, exhaust tips. Only engine mods I've done are the Neuspeed module, inlet, and intake. The engine mods are easily removed if I never need to take my car to the dealer.

I might move to a JB4 farther down the line...but I'm pretty happy with what the Neuspeed provides for now.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I “only” had the following mods in my 2016 couple of years back and very happy with it.
- Tires (Continental DWS)
- Wheels (18” Pretoria)
- Exhaust (AWE track)

Echo

Well OP doesnt want to lose his powertrain warrarnty they said. So piggyback is the only route

I am still under warranty but I'll probably go with a pro-tune regardless, I just won't be doing that until later down the mod list to get a bit more mileage out of the warranty.

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
My input:

Drop in filter
Catless downpipe(ebay is fine)
Intercooler(ebay is fine, front mounts are also MUCH easier to install)
Clutch, you'll have to buy one no matter what if you tune the car. Sachs and Soutbend both have great options
Short shifter and clutch spring/delay valve delete
Cobb protune. If you have ethanol available near you an e30 protune from a good(not all are) protuner will blow your mind.