GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lemon GTI or par for the course?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Had a seat booster wear through and the thermostat issue (covered under warranty). It looks like a window regulator is bad. 64,000 miles on a 2017.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
We currently have a 2015 Golf SE and 2017 Sport and have had the following:

- Failed rear window regulators (I believe this is a bigger problem than is talked about, at least in some climates.) Our rear windows would make a popping/creaking noise when I'd put them up and down after they'd been sitting in the hot weather. I have seen this failure on 2015 Golf SE, 2016 Golf S, 2017 Golf Wolfsburg and a 2017 GTI (We've owned 3 of these 4, my mother in law owns the other on the other side of the country)

- Thermostat housing failure, twice. Second time was due to failure of another seal above the housing that caused hot engine oil to be leaking down onto the housing and it's seal. I have experienced this on the 2015 Golf SE, 2016 Golf S, and a 2017 GTI.

- Leaking rear window washer nozzle (2015 SE)

- Sunroof rattles/creaks (2015 SE, 17 Wolfsburg)

- Sunroof leaks (17 Wolfsburg)

- EVAP system failure requiring replacement of valve and canister across two separate repairs (2015 SE)

- In tank fuel pump recall (turns out this was the cause of the EVAP system failures) (2015 SE)

- Front brake pads and rotors replaced twice under warranty for excessive shimmy (2015 SE)
Same issue came back 7k miles apart every time. After the second time we just lived with it until the pads were done. I just replaced all the brakes and fluid at 50k with StopTech ceramic kits and they feel great. We'll see in 7k miles if the shimmy comes back.

- Metallic rattle between 1500-2000rpm (GTI - unresolved, believe it's waste gate rattle which VW is well known for doing nothing about.)

- Many creaks/rattles the dealership "couldn't reproduce" when the car was new that I've spent time fixing (All 4 cars)

One thing to note OP:
CarPlay issues are not typically a VW problem. CarPlay runs 99% from your phone.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
- Metallic rattle between 1500-2000rpm (GTI - unresolved, believe it's waste gate rattle which VW is well known for doing nothing about.)

Same here. All research points to the waste gate actuator rod rattle similar to the MK6. I don't foresee them doing anything about it either.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
46k on my car and everything is still perfect, including the clutch. In fact, tomorrow is 1 year exactly since I bought it. Happy (second) birthday!

Note however that I'm the second owner and the first owner had it for almost 40k. For all I know, they had every problem in the world and my car is full of new parts. I tend to doubt it, because in doing all my mods I had a chance to inspect a lot of areas for tell tale signs of previous hands in there and didn't see any.

Note #2 is that I'm a fairly competent diy guy with a pretty decent shop in my full garage. That played in heavily to my decision to buy a used VW that ran out its b2b warranty already and will run out its drivetrain warranty before too long.

Note #3 is that the last 5 years I have averaged less than 6k in mileage per year. For a couple of them, all I had was a bicycle and a motorcycle and they got me by perfectly fine and saved me mucho moolah.

If it wasn't for # 2 and 3 above, I really don't think I'd have gone with a GTI, no matter how good it is at ticking all the other boxes - and it's really good. Practical, really fun, not expensive, decent interior, doesn't look stupid / dated, etc. In the USA there's almost no other options that do it all as well as this thing does.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I had one issue with my 2016 GTI (condensation inside headlight until due to bad seal) and it was covered under warranty. This platform is reliable and thats the reason i am planning to buying a 2019 Rabbit next week.

Heyyy you're coming back lol. Durango not fun enough for ya anymore?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Heyyy you're coming back lol. Durango not fun enough for ya anymore?

Durango is fun with the HEMI but i was missing my GTI big time. Several things fell in place at the right time and that led me to get into one sooner than i was anticipating.

Looking forward to join the gang again.

bcastine1