GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gti FL pp front rattling - dsg related?

Tiapinna

Hi guys, car has roughly 20 thousand miles on the clock and few months ago i started hearing this rattling sound coming from the right bottom of the car on rough surfaces, like hanged empty cans hitting the ground.
Lifted the car and had a look at struts, sway bar, suspension and all the bits that could come loose but had nothing. I also shook the wheel a bit and heard the noise coming from the gearbox but i thought it was normal since the gearbox was in P.

Went for service 2 weeks ago and the vw workshop manager test drove the car with me and going into manual keeping 2nd and 3rd the noise was suddenly gone and not coming back when back in auto. Well i tought that's good he must have fixed it.
He also said it's normal for dsg cars to have that noise because the gears have some tolerance between and they all have that noise. I thought it was weird but hey he must know better than me.
Few days after the noise comes back. Pull the paddle, keep 2nd through high rpms and 3rd and noise goes away. Another week goes past and the noise comes back, now much louder and it's actually very annoying. It sounds broken and i don't think it's normal.
I have an apr stg 1 flash and eibach springs so I'm afraid they would say something if i try to get a new box under warranty.

See the video below.

Did someone have the same issue? Can it be fixed via dsg tune or something? What vw said?
Thanks and sorry for the long post I'm italian i love to emphasize

https://youtu.be/p8zT6GwQ8-A

Inviato dal mio SM-G973F utilizzando Tapatalk

Aphron

CW :)!
I have a dsg and it has problems downshifting into second, but I have never heard that noise before.. that sounds terrible and not normal by any means!:eek:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I can't say for sure it's gearbox related but it certainly sounds like it. Take it back to the dealer and if they can't reproduce the sound show them your video. That's definitely not normal. They could deny any warranty work because of your tune.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had that noise, it was the front brake pads rattling in the callipers, they were only around 50% worn so I was sceptical that this was the cause, however, I changed the pads and the noise stopped.

Tiapinna

I had that noise, it was the front brake pads rattling in the callipers, they were only around 50% worn so I was sceptical that this was the cause, however, I changed the pads and the noise stopped.
I had brake pads noise when manoeuvreing the car going from D to reverse and back, when applying braking had this "clack" noise.
So i changed the pads for ferodo ones and that noise was gone.
Now that i think about it though this noise came along with new pads...
Which pads you went for?

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
I had brake pads noise when manoeuvreing the car going from D to reverse and back, when applying braking had this "clack" noise.
So i changed the pads for ferodo ones and that noise was gone.
Now that i think about it though this noise came along with new pads...
Which pads you went for?

I fitted OEM replacement PAGID pads and they have been great for normal driving, check the spring clips on the end of the pads, they can sometimes get bent outwards when being fitted, this is because they are very tight in the calliper,

The part shown in the picture with the yellow arrow is the part that gets bent and stick out of the calliper carrier if not fitted properly,

Tiapinna

I just drove through the same road with my left foot slightly pressing the brake and the noise was just gone. So as you mentioned it's definitely brake pads related.
Tomorrow I'll take the caliper down to see if the tiny sping is in place and not bent or whatever.
Thanks for the advice Carlos in other forums I've been told is the gearbox, i was freaking out already trying to sell the car lol

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Yup, I had rattling pads on the front driver side. Drove me insane for nearly a year till I narrowed down the noise. Thought for sure it was suspension related.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
I just drove through the same road with my left foot slightly pressing the brake and the noise was just gone. So as you mentioned it's definitely brake pads related.
Tomorrow I'll take the caliper down to see if the tiny sping is in place and not bent or whatever.
Thanks for the advice Carlos in other forums I've been told is the gearbox, i was freaking out already trying to sell the car lol

Good to know you were trying to sell a car you thought had gearbox problems ??

Tiapinna

Good to know you were trying to sell a car you thought had gearbox problems [emoji1305]
Chill out dude i would have taken it to the vw dealer where i bought it and let them solve the problem. I financed the car with vw if i want to take it back they assure the value of the car year by year.
Could just get a new car every year no big deal of course i would compromise a lot of money if i give the car back the first or second year of ownership. Probably still less then a new gearbox though

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Chill out dude i would have taken it to the vw dealer where i bought it and let them solve the problem. I financed the car with vw if i want to take it back they assure the value of the car year by year.
Could just get a new car every year no big deal of course i would compromise a lot of money if i give the car back the first or second year of ownership. Probably still less then a new gearbox though

How does VW assure the value of the car year by year?

Tiapinna

How does VW assure the value of the car year by year?
When signing the contract with vw finance there is a deal that they assure you the value of the car by pre set standards.
I paid my car 37k euros last year and this year i got a call phone from vw dealer asking if i want a new car they assure the value of my car for 24k. Next year will be 21k and the last year 18k. That will be when i will decide wether to accept vw value, or sell the car and getting more. Either of those conditions i will have to pay back 18k to vw or re-financing that amount.
Basically every year they ask you to get a new car and they will leave you debt free by taking your car.
It is valid even if you do not want to buy vw anymore.
The 3rd year i can sell the car and if i can get more then 18k that i have to give to vw i obviously keep those money. I assure you you can get more than that on a 3 year car.
The financing formula translated would be something like "vw guaranteed value" which is one of the main reason why i bought a gti over a bmw 125i or else.