GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OEM fender audio retrofitted to Base system?

mk7mountain

Passed Driver's Ed
I've searched with no luck on here. A forum member is selling the complete Fender system of his SE (amp, speakers ect.) and I'm wondering if it's possible to swap my base system out of my S to have full fender audio?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
With the full wiring harness(es) and a lot of work, sure, it's possible.
It's definitely far from plug & play without the harness though, which I doubt they're including

Adding the Helix subwoofer box would be easier with similar results, IMO

mk7mountain

Passed Driver's Ed
With the full wiring harness(es) and a lot of work, sure, it's possible.
It's definitely far from plug & play without the harness though, which I doubt they're including

Adding the Helix subwoofer box would be easier with similar results, IMO

I was thinking that as well, always hear mixed reviews on the soundbox but would much rather install it.

riambink

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed the soundbox on mine which was a huge upgrade from the base system, but still felt it a bit lacking. So I swapped out the front tweeters for alpine units which helped a bit with the clarity. Probably a more cost/time effective option than to retrofit the entire fender system.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Bump! Has anyone done this? Thinking about getting a Rabbit Edition GTI but the lack of Fender has me totally disappointed. That blue though.. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Why add Fender when you can add something much better?

Exactly. The ~$450 Helix upgrade to many sounds better than the OEM Fender system. The Helix is a simple DIY install as well.

If that doesn't float your boat and you've got a bigger budget, there are a ton of Factory Radio improvement/upgrade paths that let you keep your MFI and steering wheel controls, etc. Everything from a $150 Audio Control LC7i all the way up to JL Fix signal processors and above. Add amps, new speakers, sub of your choice, and you're MILES ahead of the Fender system with basically the same effort.

Mind you that's 10 times the effort of the Helix system, and at least twice as much money. You can always upgrade speakers and even sub with the Helix as a starting point. The Helix isn't perfect but it's damn good.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
From what I understand the stock system isn't bad it just has no sub so you are forcing speakers to do an additional job which they were not made for. Add an amp and a sub and I bet it would sound pretty good. A lot cheaper than DSPs and all that stuff.

This is true, but you can't just add a sub without adding a signal processor or converter to take that bass from the doors and direct them to the sub. Otherwise you're just adding more bass and the door speakers are still stressed doing the same work. Instead of something like a 2 channel+sub converter like an LC2i that isn't going to remove bass from the doors, you can run the LC7i and a 5 channel amp. The LC7i is going to have a crossover to move bass frequencies to the sub output and away from the doors. That is more wiring to do that, but the cheapest way I know.

Okay I lied, you can just put "bass blocker" caps on the factory door speakers to limit bass frequencies to them. That's ultra cheap and would work. Then you can run an LC2i and only add a sub and amp for the bass you took out. Just a bit more "bandaid" feeling than I like.

The Helix system on the other hand takes all 4 speaker outputs, runs them through an EQ and time corrected DSP that was designed for VWs, then spits out 4 new speaker outputs with more wattage than the OEM amp and sends bass frequencies to the Helix sub. It's very effective at what it does and sounds great, plus you don't have to modify anything to install it.

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
When comparing the stock system to Fender - is Fender just using the same stock speakers + the inclusion of an amp and a spare tire bass module?

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Nope, speakers have different part numbers on the Fender setup. How much "better" are they? Hard to say.
I see.

Now I'm wondering if I put in the Helix in combo with some like new Fender speakers out of a wrecked MK7, would the Helix amp even powerful enough to power everything successfully?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
idk but I would just try adding helix 1st to see if you still want to make the effort. Helix has a DSP so they tune outputs for the regular system. It's onlly been a couple of days but helix with stock 8 spkr system is a good upgrade

MK7smiF

I’ve listened to the fender and currently have the helix in my 2018 GTI SE the bass is def better in the helix upgrade but lacks the loudness and clarity that the fender system has overall. With the helix upgrade it doesn’t help the stock system to be louder anything past half volume doesn’t do much and feel as you want it to be louder really my only gripe with the stock system.