GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo catch can empty/review

MadMen

Ready to race!
Figured it would be easier to do a video to show. I'm no YouTube star, so keep that in mind :).

I know there's lots of opinions on whether a catch can is needed, so judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/9Miosyd8QyY

MadMen

Ready to race!
Wow. I didn't expect to see that much in so few miles.

Me neither. There was the milky sludge at the bottom also when I emptied it.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Me neither. There was the milky sludge at the bottom also when I emptied it.
Is this possibly related to your particular setup? You have me thinking about getting a CC now. Glad you did a video so there is no question this really happened.

MadMen

Ready to race!
Is this possibly related to your particular setup? You have me thinking about getting a CC now. Glad you did a video so there is no question this really happened.

I'm sure the boost pressure from the big turbo is the main reason for the above average blow-by. It fills like that every 500-700 or so miles. Probably higher than normal though since I've been doing tons of WOT runs for tuning.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I'm sure the boost pressure from the big turbo is the main reason for the above average blow-by. It fills like that every 500-700 or so miles. Probably higher than normal though since I've been doing tons of WOT runs for tuning.
How many of those containers equal a quart?

MadMen

Ready to race!
How many of those containers equal a quart?

I'd guess 8 or so. My oil level after ~1200 miles or so is still fine. I would guess it would be fine up to my 5k change interval. Maybe a hair on the low side. But I fill it on the high side, knowing I'm going to lose some.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I suspect most of that is water, mixed with a bit of oil. Is the Racing line catch can larger than the CTS one? Having to dump the car every 5-700 miles would bug me.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I suspect most of that is water, mixed with a bit of oil. Is the Racing line catch can larger than the CTS one? Having to dump the car every 5-700 miles would bug me.

Mostly oil blowby. Even if it was 50 % water the mixture would have a brownish milky color instead of black.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
My Spulen is full every week.

Fucking POS clogs all the time too.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
My Spulen is full every week.

Fucking POS clogs all the time too.
Just installed mine. What fills it quicker, boring commute or wot fun? Thinking I might try the fluid extractor through the dipstick hole instead of the nipple on the bottom.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Mostly oil blowby. Even if it was 50 % water the mixture would have a brownish milky color instead of black.

That's a lot of blow by, I'd be doing a leak down test if that's all oil. My supercharged E46 M3 would fill the catch can, but in more like 2000 miles and was mostly water. The brownish milky color you describe.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's a lot of blow by, I'd be doing a leak down test if that's all oil. My supercharged E46 M3 would fill the catch can, but in more like 2000 miles and was mostly water. The brownish milky color you describe.

I agree that's a lot of blowby. I have an 18 SE FBO and IS38 with 56,000 miles and in 1000 miles I get less than 1/2 ounce. I have the Spulen OCC also but I didn't use their catch can. I used the ADD W1 catch can. Much easier to empty it.