GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas mileage?

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I get about 28.6 per the car computer, and 28.3 per the maths using the same gas station and pump to fill up every time. I have 19 R manual

How many miles are on your car and what's your commute like? Length, highway vs city etc?

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
32.2 MPG average over 15,609 miles. Varies from 27.68 to 36.39, calculated on fill-up.

Quit using the brakes, and your mileage will be better. It's all about momentum.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
32.2 MPG average over 15,609 miles. Varies from 27.68 to 36.39, calculated on fill-up.

Quit using the brakes, and your mileage will be better. It's all about momentum.

R mpg isn't as high as a GTI.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
What're you guys seeing mpg wise? My new '19 6MT is getting around 21mpg mixed on my 9 mile commute. Commute is 50/50 city/freeway, I am running a few gallons of E85 with 91 to get the octane higher...

That sounds about right considering the short distance.

I also have 6mt and see something like 22-24 on my commute that includes some back roads when the highway traffic is heavy.

AxMan

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
Audi S5
How many miles are on your car and what's your commute like? Length, highway vs city etc?

I drove 30 miles one way it’s hilly and I only hit traffic the last few miles in the morning. No real highway, just back country roads. 2100 miles

Buguyed

Ready to race!

Had to check and see but you have a GTI. Was going to call BS if you had an R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall

To SJ area from SF (North beach area) during rushhour averages 31.5mpg, including the hills up/down or embarcadero. ACC on most of the ride.

All stock, so far. Well, no, I've gone crazy and added a small item tray inside the console.

I didn't buy this car for MPG though, so when not commuting I maybe hit 20mpg on most rides. In-city its under 10.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I have no idea how guys are getting upper 30's to low 40's for MPG in a GTI. I average 20-23 City on Summer blend, same driving on Winter blend is 18-21 City. If I really baby it I can coax another 2-3 mpg. But I can't baby it for long, why would one want to :D.

If I put it in Sport and manually shift my DSG I can see the fuel needle move as I drive more aggressively and then I'm seeing 17-19 mpg or less.

Highway, cruise set at 75 I can get 31-33 with no wind and no asshats hanging out in the left lane or having to pass idiots that don't know how to use cruise control. Most time I average 29-31 for a 150 mile trip.

I honestly don't believe people that say they get 39-43 MPG. That's way outside the EPA and manufacturers ratings. Somethings amiss in your math or you're not telling the whole story. The GTI has always been a jekyl and hyde when it comes to mileage. If you drive it very conservatively it will give decent mileage, but the minute you start driving spiritedly, the mileage suffers. I fall into the latter. I don't beat on the car, but I don't drive it conservatively, not sure I could drive it conservatively...……...it begs to be driven with a certain amount of zing and playfulness, so I oblige.

Just my .02c

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I honestly don't believe people that say they get 39-43 MPG. That's way outside the EPA and manufacturers ratings. Somethings amiss in your math or you're not telling the whole story.

I saw 37 in my mk6 GTI. There's 1 road in town that doesn't have but maybe 2 or 3 lights, it's a really long road, and the speed limit is like 40 mph. It was a pretty easy road to get 35+ mpg on. Under the right circumstances you can definitely get mpg that high.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I saw 37 in my mk6 GTI. There's 1 road in town that doesn't have but maybe 2 or 3 lights, it's a really long road, and the speed limit is like 40 mph. It was a pretty easy road to get 35+ mpg on. Under the right circumstances you can definitely get mpg that high.

I can get that too for a small stretch of road with steady speed, flat and no stops. But a 5-10 mile stretch doesn't make for a good comparison since one has to look at an average over time and distance.

There are many stretches of driving the mpg varies, but at the end of the tank it's the average over the distance driven. Taking a very small snap shot in time isn't a real representation of the overall picture.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I can get that too for a small stretch of road with steady speed, flat and no stops. But a 5-10 mile stretch doesn't make for a good comparison since one has to look at an average over time and distance.

There are many stretches of driving the mpg varies, but at the end of the tank it's the average over the distance driven. Taking a very small snap shot in time isn't a real representation of the overall picture.

If I worked downtown I'd be making that drive every day and it'd be a huge boost to my average. I've had to do that drive for a week and I got 35-37 every day, so I mean they could just have a routine like that. That's all I'm sayin. I don't, today it was less than 20 mpg getting to work in the R...10 minute drive and probably 10 intersections to get through. I haven't looked at my average yet. I wonder what it is now...I'd guess about 24, maaaaaybe 25.

Last edited: