GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intermittent Squeaking from Brake

DAS_STIG

Banned
I recently upgraded to PP front brakes and got new rotors/pads with it (OEM rotors/ferodo ds2500 pads). I replaced the seals/dust boots on the calipers, lubed up the pins, the overall install went well, did the ferodo recommended brake in, and the brakes held up well at the track. Recently I have noticed an intermittent squealing sound from my passenger side front. It's almost as if the rotor is warped and touching the pads with a portion of it, but I have no shaking/pulsing of the brake pedal. As soon as I touch the brakes the sound goes away. It's there when pulling away from a stop up through highway speeds of 70-80. The pads have plenty of life with about 12mm of material remaining.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Small note - the noise does not start until the brakes get a bit of heat in them. It will also stop for a while after a few hard brakes.

Last edited:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Gotta pay to play with pads, you're paying with noise! Mine squeak a bit now and then but usually only on stopping. If you're getting a noise when not on the pedal then something is dragging.

Did you clean out and lube the channel where the pad retainer spring clips sit?

DAS_STIG

Banned
Gotta pay to play with pads, you're paying with noise! Mine squeak a bit now and then but usually only on stopping. If you're getting a noise when not on the pedal then something is dragging.

Did you clean out and lube the channel where the pad retainer spring clips sit?

Yes, and put some fresh lube on there. I also lubed the guide pins on initial install of PP calipers and relubed it this past weekend. They seem to slide fine. I agree it's definitely something dragging, but I can't figure out why the noise is so consistent - it seems like a part of the rotor is thicker than the rest and only hits the pad in that spot. It's consistent and speeds up as the car moves faster.

I have had pad noise before on light braking, but not while driving like this.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Any chance of a wheel bearing or rotor dust shield?

Maybe a rock or something between the shield and the rotor?

Does it sound the same in reverse as it does moving forward. Maybe it's affected by load from different angles (thinking bearing with this logic).

I remember yanking hubs when i did my rears (pp brakes), to install the new shields, but the fronts i never had to pull the axle bolt. Some folks pull it when they do springs and/or front dampers.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Any chance of a wheel bearing or rotor dust shield?

Maybe a rock or something between the shield and the rotor?

Does it sound the same in reverse as it does moving forward. Maybe it's affected by load from different angles (thinking bearing with this logic).

I remember yanking hubs when i did my rears (pp brakes), to install the new shields, but the fronts i never had to pull the axle bolt. Some folks pull it when they do springs and/or front dampers.

Hmmm.. I will check for a rock, but would be weird if that's what it was. I had a rock get caught on my old MK5 and that was a very different sound. I guess I will have to get in there this weekend to see exactly what is rubbing, but it really seems to be the pads since it stops as soon as I touch the brakes. I didn't touch the hubs.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Got in there and I think figured out what was happening. The last track day was right after I installed the brakes so there was a lot of brake lube in the pad guide channels. The lube was cooking off quite nicely during the track day and seems to have glooped up (technical term) and was not letting the pads slide. Took everything apart, cleaned out the fried on lube, put just a little fresh lube on, and after a test drive seems to have solved the problem. Ended up doing both sides cause I started to hear the driver side squeaking, but it was previously drowned out by passenger side that was much louder.

DAS_STIG

Banned
That's awesome and a little wild. What a relief though.

Yup, just goes to show that too much lube isn't a good thing. If you really get into it things get messy with too much. You need just the right amount for it to work out well.

Still not sure why the sound was intermittent and so consistent. Wondering if my rotors aren't quite straight.

DAS_STIG

Banned
I lied a bit - the sound is definitely still there, although much more muted now. Seems to happen less often too - was constantly squeaking now just starts/stops once in a while.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Any thoughts on this? Is it possible that the anti vibration clips weakened from the heat of track day and no longer hold the pad well leading to it hitting the rotor? The clips did seem to offer a lot less resistance when I was cleaning the calipers and putting the pads back in.

DAS_STIG

Banned
The noise went away after a track day so it seems like it's definitely pad related, but it's back after a week of regular driving. Not as bad as it was so I wonder if wearing the pads down some allows for more room between the pad and rotor to not touch.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Even new rotors should be checked to see if they need to be turned.