GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7.5 Ed's Replica HID Headlight Problem

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
So I've been emailing Ed about this problem, but figured I'd see if anyone else has an idea what's going on.

I bought Ed's MK7.5 HID headlight replicas for my MK7.5 halogen car and had them professionally installed at a garage. The installation apparently went well, but I've found that the beam pattern looks pretty strange.

You can see in the photos I've uploaded, there's a strange notch being projected from each light rather than a level plane.

Ed said that the bulb is probably oriented incorrectly, when I brought the car back to the garage the tech said he couldn't align it any better because the green part (pictured as well) that holds the bulb only has 1 notch so the bulb sort of just floats around. He thought it was broken, hence pointing at that part, but Ed sent me a replacement that still only has 1 notch.

It also seems very, very difficult to align the bulb correctly once the headlight housing is actually on the car. Do you guys think it is an issue with the bulb alignment, or the bulb itself maybe, or the projector, or something else?

Pictures with captions: https://imgur.com/a/Mu5uM6N

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
I have the preface lift MK7 BEC Ed’s replicas and the beam pattern looks exactly the same as your photos. I did my own install and I paid special attention to installing the bulbs in the correct orientation per Ed’s instructions. Maybe others can chime in if that’s what’s it’s suppose to look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
The notch is the shape of the shutter coming down blocking the upper portion of the beam for low beams. OEM lighting package lights also look similar. Looks how it is supposed to look to my eye.

SRTie4k

Ready to race!
Those "steps" are normal, they are the euro cut off design.

What doesn't seem normal to me is how the lights mount. They should mount directly to the backs of the lights with locating pins and retention clips, which prevent them from moving anywhere.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
The notch is the shape of the shutter coming down blocking the upper portion of the beam for low beams. OEM lighting package lights also look similar. Looks how it is supposed to look to my eye.
Looks like you guys are right, thank you for the input! After looking up HID beam pattern it seems that these asymmetrical notches are called a DOT beam pattern. It's good to know that it's intentional.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
Those "steps" are normal, they are the euro cut off design.

What doesn't seem normal to me is how the lights mount. They should mount directly to the backs of the lights with locating pins and retention clips, which prevent them from moving anywhere.
Yeah that part was strange to me. I fiddled with the right bulb and somehow got it in right I think, at least it looks like the left beam pattern now which is correct. The bulb isn't held in the green bracket in any solid sort of way, but when I inserted it (without being able to see at all) it seems to sit solidly in the housing. I'll pay attention to it in case it gets loose or something, but for now it seems good.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk