GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 install in Boston

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
What's up my fellow New Englanders! Is there anyone around the Boston area (I'm in Medford) willing to help an MK7 noob install a JB4? I can pay using the traditional currency of beer. :)

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
If you don't hear from anyone closer I'm in Pawtucket, done it a couple of times.

HappyLegs

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on the other side of the state or I'd help ya... but just go for it, its easy.

Inspect the male/female portion of plug D on your JB4 harness so you understand how it releases. Standing in front of your car looking down into your engine bay don't go straight down for plug D, use the space just to the left and get your right hand down in there (I used a small flathead to pop the clip and I did not snap it... you'll understand once you see how it works on the m/f portion of the JB4 harness). I was intimidated to start it myself... It sounds complicated, but it's not.

And as for going thru the firewall, follow the instructions on how to locate the grommet, it's easy to see when you get under there. Use a wire coathanger and tape the wire to the end and just poke it through. You wanna be somewhat careful because you don't want the grommet to pop out of place towards the engine bay; I hear thats a bitch. But all I did was kinda push the other wires aside that are already going through the grommet and that gave me just enough daylight to be able to sneak my coathanger through. I was prepared to but didn't have to remove my battery.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos on it before I went for my install... from start to finish it probably took me about 20 minutes... and I don't work on cars.

qomn

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm on the other side of the state or I'd help ya... but just go for it, its easy.

Inspect the male/female portion of plug D on your JB4 harness so you understand how it releases. Standing in front of your car looking down into your engine bay don't go straight down for plug D, use the space just to the left and get your right hand down in there (I used a small flathead to pop the clip and I did not snap it... you'll understand once you see how it works on the m/f portion of the JB4 harness). I was intimidated to start it myself... It sounds complicated, but it's not.

And as for going thru the firewall, follow the instructions on how to locate the grommet, it's easy to see when you get under there. Use a wire coathanger and tape the wire to the end and just poke it through. You wanna be somewhat careful because you don't want the grommet to pop out of place towards the engine bay; I hear thats a bitch. But all I did was kinda push the other wires aside that are already going through the grommet and that gave me just enough daylight to be able to sneak my coathanger through. I was prepared to but didn't have to remove my battery.

I watched a bunch of youtube videos on it before I went for my install... from start to finish it probably took me about 20 minutes... and I don't work on cars.

Yeah maybe I will just go for broke and give it a shot. So you didn't push the coathanger from the cabin, attach the wire, and pull it back through? That was my tentative plan.

EDIT: Wait, maybe that is what you just described haha. Sounds good.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Take the rubber grommet out and slit a hole in it and feed the wires through before putting it back in. I pushed mine down into the firewall like a dumbass. Lost forever. :(

Also, twist tie plug D wiring onto itself as it has too much slack IMO. Don't want it to get caught in radiator fan.