GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA: Cable Tie Your Bonnet Release Cable Junction Box

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Here you go.... One closer up. There something obstructing a tie from passing through

Interesting. Which light housings do you have? It looks like it could be that blocking it.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Thanks for this IWMTom! Where do you guys get the service manual to look at the diagrams like that?

As above, you can download them from ErWin or there's a few other methods like obtaining a copy of ElsaWin.

There's also a thread somewhere in this forum where someone's uploaded the PDFs to Dropbox - have a search around and they should show up somewhere.

If you go the ErWin route, there's some Chrome extensions that will download every link on a page which is how I downloaded every PDF applicable to my car, as well as all the Self Study Guides for my engine and other bits and pieces.

It's also worth sticking your VIN in to get "vehicle specific information" like all your PR codes (also on your data sticker but contains descriptions too), paint colour, build date, etc.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Could be because those are the mk7.5 LED headlights vs. the mk7 HID headlights. Maybe the housings are that little bit different?

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Could be because those are the mk7.5 LED headlights vs. the mk7 HID headlights. Maybe the housings are that little bit different?

Potentially.

If so, it should be possible to unbolt the metal bracket and then slide the cable tie through assuming the blockage is the light housing.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Did the 'mod' earlier today, took about 2 mins. I pinched the end of the (old) middle cable tie using pliers before feeding it through. Don't judge me too harshly on filthy engine bay :)....

Attachments

• G7 Bonnet Release.jpg
    G7 Bonnet Release.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 627

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Unfortunately this can still happen. Happened to a friend.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Is there any attachment point at the latch something could be tied to as a backup fish through the grill option?

Nope. Tried to come up with a solution but came up with nothing.

If your release is starting to get tougher, you need to reseat the Bowden cable in the latch groove. If not, you're probably fine.

Remember to lubricate the latch regularly to avoid it happening.

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Spent some time looking at the latch mech and the release tab. I think a better backup approach is making a tool that can slide under the front lip of the hood and hitting the release blind. Maybe a paintless dent repair tool with a creative bend to it.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Yeah there must be a way of tripping the latch from underneath somewhere without potentialy destroying the grill. Once opened up, the mechanism looks a bit 'joke' i.e. not a great, simple, effective design and looks prone to break....

dietcokefiend

Master of Disaster
Yeah there must be a way of tripping the latch from underneath somewhere without potentialy destroying the grill. Once opened up, the mechanism looks a bit 'joke' i.e. not a great, simple, effective design and looks prone to break....

No openings from below. Only non destructive hope is capturing the cable through a fender, or hitting that clip from above.