GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B16 or B14 and Camber Strut Mounts (034, SuperPro, etc)

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I came across a thread where someone mentioned that their B16 Damptronic Coils rubbed at the top by the spring with the 034 Camber Strut Mounts (adds -1.4 camber).

Of course this person also had upgraded LCA's which I believe added more camber but I'm wondering if anyone is running the Bilstein Coilovers with some sort up camber strut and do they have rubbing up near the top of the spring.

Or any other issues.

I had planned to get some Bilstein B16 coilovers and match them with SuperPro's Camber Strut Mounts.

Thanks

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Do you mean they were rubbing around where the spring goes inside of the shock tower? I don't think the Damptronic coils are a different diameter than a PSS/10 coilover, which shouldn't be different than the OEM coils.

You'd think a lot of people would be having that issue with camber plates/mounts if adjusting the camber there caused that issue. Could be the combination of LCAs and added CASTER they can provide, which would push the wheel and spring forward as well.

Edit: Just happened upon the Vortex thread you're referring to, again not sure of the standard coilover coil OD but maybe someone can chime in with that.

The damptronic springs have this spec:

Front – 371lb/in rate progressive
215mm overall length
Top ID – 88-90mm
Lower ID – 71-71.6mm
Middle OD – 145mm
Wire diameter – 13.25mm

Rear – 303lb/in Linear
215mm overall length
Top ID – 61-61.7mm
Lower ID – 55-56.1mm
Middle OD – 121mm
Wire diameter – 13mm

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
I run bilstein B16 with superpro top hats with on my MK7 GTI without dcc - they're fantastic and I love them. You do not need to cut your strut openings either since the b16s have a relatively short thread up top (compared to the racingling front dampers). I'm also running super pro front bushings for the LCA. My front alignment spec is -2.4 both sides at 8 and 8.4 caster.

No issues at all - ride is amazing with b16s and the camber plates completely change the car's handling. I only wish I swapped to fixed plates earlier. It helped the car turn in so much better.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Do you mean they were rubbing around where the spring goes inside of the shock tower? I don't think the Damptronic coils are a different diameter than a PSS/10 coilover, which shouldn't be different than the OEM coils.

You'd think a lot of people would be having that issue with camber plates/mounts if adjusting the camber there caused that issue. Could be the combination of LCAs and added CASTER they can provide, which would push the wheel and spring forward as well.

Edit: Just happened upon the Vortex thread you're referring to, again not sure of the standard coilover coil OD but maybe someone can chime in with that.

Yes, that was the post.

I run bilstein B16 with superpro top hats with on my MK7 GTI without dcc - they're fantastic and I love them. You do not need to cut your strut openings either since the b16s have a relatively short thread up top (compared to the racingling front dampers). I'm also running super pro front bushings for the LCA. My front alignment spec is -2.4 both sides at 8 and 8.4 caster.

No issues at all - ride is amazing with b16s and the camber plates completely change the car's handling. I only wish I swapped to fixed plates earlier. It helped the car turn in so much better.

Thanks! I plan to get B16's (I'm non-DCC as well) and SuperPro Camber Strut Mounts and just wanted to make sure there were no issues.

teemmy

Ready to race!
The b16 is on the softer side, so you will have to get closer to the stiffest settings if you want to eliminate body roll. I never got to the stiffest setting on the track. Didn’t have enough seat time to really dial in the suspension as i was having some wastegate issues [emoji28]

Body roll is not terrible and stiffer doesn’t always mean faster :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Like teemmy said, stiffer doesn't always mean faster. A lot of people take their cars to the track with completely stock suspension or minimal suspension mods and have a great time. There are also many "less than smooth" tracks or AutoX courses where stiff is bad and some suspension compliance helps to keep the tire contacting the tarmac.

That doesn't mean that stock suspension or a set of B16s would be competitive in actual racing necessarily, but they should be a marked improvement over stock in most cases. A lot of different goals, and a lot of different suspension options out there.