GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whose Stage II, then?

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Tortoise, If I was you I'd stay stage 1. Stage 2 isn't that much of an improvement that it's worth all the time, effort and $$ for you.

I'm in Melbourne Australia and we don't have ongoing testing so modifying stage 2 is fine but get caught with a catless exhaust and it's $10k fine, we have fixed speed cameras everywhere where you can get fined for as little as 2km/h over speed limit.

Many speed zones now are 40/50km/h. Many people call us the "nanny state" due to these things. MK7R and v8s prohibited for Probationary drivers.

We're constantly in worlds most livable cites but house prices now totally out of reach of first home buyers. You need $5-600k to buy house that's at least 1hr away from city, to be anywhere near city in a house is around $2M+

Car prices and taxes insane other than VW the cost of BMW/Porche etc here insane. Last time I checked same car was 3 times the price here than USA and that was when Aust$ was matching US.

There is obvious flaws and positives in every society, location. If you're happy where you live and your main issue is regarding car testing laws then that's nothing.

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Tortoise, If I was you I'd stay stage 1. Stage 2 isn't that much of an improvement that it's worth all the time, effort and $$ for you.

I'm in Melbourne Australia and we don't have ongoing testing so modifying stage 2 is fine but get caught with a catless exhaust and it's $10k fine, we have fixed speed cameras everywhere where you can get fined for as little as 2km/h over speed limit.

Many speed zones now are 40/50km/h. Many people call us the "nanny state" due to these things. MK7R and v8s prohibited for Probationary drivers.

We're constantly in worlds most livable cites but house prices now totally out of reach of first home buyers. You need $5-600k to buy house that's at least 1hr away from city, to be anywhere near city in a house is around $2M+

Car prices and taxes insane other than VW the cost of BMW/Porche etc here insane. Last time I checked same car was 3 times the price here than USA and that was when Aust$ was matching US.

There is obvious flaws and positives in every society, location. If you're happy where you live and your main issue is regarding car testing laws then that's nothing.
Agreed. I'm a full Stage 2 in my new 2018 DSG Golf R but in the state I live in "Minnesota, USA" we don't have emissions/smog testing so to me and many others that extra $1,000 is well worth it because it will be a safe permanent modification. But having to install, remove, install, remove lie, cheat, deceive etc... would totally not be worth the improved half second 0-60mph time, and half second faster 1/4 mile time. I don't notice a huge difference anyways being Stage 2. Stage 1, 93 octane high torque is what made my car already come alive over stock performance. Good tires, brakes, Stage 1 tune, exhaust, intake, engine and transmission inserts and mounts and wheel spacers, aftermarket springs, rotors, pads, calipers, will turn the car into a true daily driven beast car anyways without worrying about fines, tickets, and emissions failure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My understanding is that spacers can lead to fueling issues. Beyond that, I'm personally opposed to cutting corners to evade the law.

Massachusetts' excessive regs annoy me and I look forward to moving out of state as soon as the kids are done with school. In the meantime, so long as I choose to live here, I feel compelled to live by the rules.

Sounds like AWE is your best bet. They’re the only ones putting “cel free” in writing

Cool Hand Luke

Passed Driver's Ed
Here in Massachusetts, we have an annual vehicular proctology exam that drives otherwise law-abiding folks to register their cars in South Dakota.

If you install the APR catted downpipe, you're going to pull a CEL on a Stage I tune and then you're in for it. The only way to get around that is by uninstalling your APR downpipe and reinstalling the OEM downpipe prior to your automotive bend-over at your local inspection station.

Speaking for myself, no thanks. Which means, I guess, I'll be looking at the AWE catted (and resonated, just because) downpipe.

And before you gag at the idea of spending $1100 on, well, a pipe, remember this: I live in Massachusetts, so it's just kind of another tax. This time on fun.

With that out of the way, there's the question of the tune.

Currently, I'm APR high torque, 93-octane Stage I. So why wouldn't I just cough up the $175 for APR's Stage II?

Maybe because APR seems to be running a bit of a...well, for a lack of a better word...racket on its Stage II tune. Yes, the tune shifts the torque curve and a bit to the left but, really, isn't its primary achievement shutting off those pesky O2 sensors that throw check engine lights all over your dash? Check engine lights that wouldn't light off in the first place if it offered a decent cat?

In other words, would it be reductive to say that they give you "for free" a Stage II tune that basically disguises the fact that the catalytic converter in their pipe isn't exactly OEM-level?

So if I'm going for the AWE dp, with its robust (and expensive) cat, why would I spend money on a tune that primarily switches off 02 sensors that won't bedevil it anyway?

Am I misunderstanding something here?

And in that case, what kind of stage II tune should I get?

Included in this tune is an upgraded (APR) intercooler, (APR) cai (about which I am suspicious as to its utility).

My understanding is that stock exhaust will be just fine.

Oh, and I'm driving a 2018 m7.5 R 6MT.

Nominations, anyone?
Move to Minnesota, you'd love the car scene here as well. If not then IMHO upon reading further back posts. If emissions testing is only once a year I'd personally be more than willing to go full Stage 2 in my Golf R which I am lol and just reinstall all the original OEM emissions passing parts re-tune and then after passing throw them back in again and continue on enjoying the 360+ days left in the year till next inspection and testing. To me that's worth a full day's work to have fun the other remaining 99 percent of the year. I love working on cars and fixing cars and have my weekends off so to me it would be worth the sacrifice for even that small extra performance gain. Heck I'd undo all the stage 3 goodies as well but that's me. I've got all APR parts and I couldn't be happier at the reliability and performance.

tortoise

Ready to race!
Sounds like AWE is your best bet. They’re the only ones putting “cel free” in writing

Yes, I went with AWE. I'm really happy with it.

For shits and giggles, I pulled the trigger on the APR Stage II tune, despite the fact that it (apparently) exists mainly to switch off the 02 sensors so the APR dp doesn't trigger a CEL (yes, I know: It also "shifts the torque curve a little bit to the left.")

But then a funny thing happened when I had the APR intercooler installed.

A CEL light appeared: P2006 error code, stuck manifold flap.

So I dutifully had the ECU returned to stock in preparation for a visit to the mod-friendly VW dealer.

Then another funny thing happened: The check engine wasn't on anymore.

And it's stayed off.

Then an even funnier thing happened:

I was expecting the car, now returned to stock tune, to drive like a pig in a poke after all that Stage II glory. And...

My gosh, maybe I like it better like this.

Clearly, it's not stock: Between the single-mass flywheel clutch, the fluidampr harmonic drive pulley, the dieselgeek short-shfter, the AWE turboback, the APR intercooler, the various bullshit charge pipes and boost hoses and CAIs and turbo muffler deletes and what-have-you...and the dog-bone mount and the 19" flow-formed OEM Pretoria wheels that save about five pounds rotational mass per corner over the stock 19" cast alloy...and the UM Haldex tune...clearly, it's not stock.

But the engine ECU is at stock settings. And the car just dances. I don't know how much whp and wtq I'm getting over a stock Golf R, but all of these bits clearly have had a cumulative effect: My butt dyno says the sum of the parts is at least half, perhaps two-thirds, as potent as the Stage II delta over stock. But, again, that's just seat-of-the-pants, and I'd have to drive a true stock R to know for sure. What is indisputable is that the car is fast and unstressed and buckets of fun at street-legal (ok, responsibly illegal) speeds. I can run 91 octane gas now (it was strictly 93 on the tune) and my gas mileage is the best it's ever been. And, perhaps best of all, I don't have to run to an APR dealer and shell out $50 every time I take the car in for inspection or a check engine light flashes on and I have to take it to a dealer.

Oh, and now I'm actually taking advantage of the benefits of the AWE no-CEL design.

Someday, when my turbo gives out, I'll go to stage III, so I suppose that's how I'll justify the $800 I spent on APR tunes. In the meantime, maybe I'll just enjoy the car as it is...at Stage 0++.

Once I've finished with a few suspension tweaks.

Last edited:

tortoise

Ready to race!
Move to Minnesota, you'd love the car scene here as well. If not then IMHO upon reading further back posts. If emissions testing is only once a year I'd personally be more than willing to go full Stage 2 in my Golf R which I am lol and just reinstall all the original OEM emissions passing parts re-tune and then after passing throw them back in again and continue on enjoying the 360+ days left in the year till next inspection and testing. To me that's worth a full day's work to have fun the other remaining 99 percent of the year. I love working on cars and fixing cars and have my weekends off so to me it would be worth the sacrifice for even that small extra performance gain. Heck I'd undo all the stage 3 goodies as well but that's me. I've got all APR parts and I couldn't be happier at the reliability and performance.

There's a lot to be said for that. The turboback install was much easier than I thought it would be.

tortoise

Ready to race!

Massachusetts is a great place to raise kids. That alone makes it worthwhile. Sometimes I just like to bitch.

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
My MAPerformance GESI catted + resonated downpipe arrived today. Hopefully will be able to install it within the next few weeks. I have a sqeak/chirp noise I need to get checked out by the dealer before I put the downpipe in. I think it might be the crank pulley.

More pics here: https://imgur.com/a/SfbYAfL

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
I feel sorry for anybody that lives in mass. and puts up with their BS laws and overbearing regulations. I am from Mass., joined the service at 17 in 1965 and never looked back. Yes, i am a firearms person and would never live in a libtard state that trampled second amendment rights AND dictates how and what you should put on your car. Exactly how many hobbyist cars do they think are out there polluting anyways??
Most of my relatives have moved to Vermont, NH or Maine where you can be out from under the thumb or ridiculous liberal agenda. Lest you think I am a Republican, I am not.
BTW APR downpipe on a stage one, never tripped CEL. However the pipe did split at the flex joint and I bought IE as APR was of ZERO help resolving the issue.

signkutter

Ready to race!
I feel sorry for anybody that lives in mass. and puts up with their BS laws and overbearing regulations. I am from Mass., joined the service at 17 in 1965 and never looked back. Yes, i am a firearms person and would never live in a libtard state that trampled second amendment rights AND dictates how and what you should put on your car. Exactly how many hobbyist cars do they think are out there polluting anyways??
Most of my relatives have moved to Vermont, NH or Maine where you can be out from under the thumb or ridiculous liberal agenda. Lest you think I am a Republican, I am not.
BTW APR downpipe on a stage one, never tripped CEL. However the pipe did split at the flex joint and I bought IE as APR was of ZERO help resolving the issue.

Sword cuts both ways...here in Texas the firearms laws are pretty *liberal (*the original meaning of the word) and car emissions laws are lax...but it is also a shit place to raise kids as the schools suck...public parks are shit (unless its a golf course)...no public land ....a happy medium is best

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
Yes, I went with AWE. I'm really happy with it.

For shits and giggles, I pulled the trigger on the APR Stage II tune, despite the fact that it (apparently) exists mainly to switch off the 02 sensors so the APR dp doesn't trigger a CEL (yes, I know: It also "shifts the torque curve a little bit to the left.")

But then a funny thing happened when I had the APR intercooler installed.

A CEL light appeared: P2006 error code, stuck manifold flap.

So I dutifully had the ECU returned to stock in preparation for a visit to the mod-friendly VW dealer.

Then another funny thing happened: The check engine wasn't on anymore.

And it's stayed off.

Then an even funnier thing happened:

I was expecting the car, now returned to stock tune, to drive like a pig in a poke after all that Stage II glory. And...

My gosh, maybe I like it better like this.

Clearly, it's not stock: Between the single-mass flywheel clutch, the fluidampr harmonic drive pulley, the dieselgeek short-shfter, the AWE turboback, the APR intercooler, the various bullshit charge pipes and boost hoses and CAIs and turbo muffler deletes and what-have-you...and the dog-bone mount and the 19" flow-formed OEM Pretoria wheels that save about five pounds rotational mass per corner over the stock 19" cast alloy...and the UM Haldex tune...clearly, it's not stock.

But the engine ECU is at stock settings. And the car just dances. I don't know how much whp and wtq I'm getting over a stock Golf R, but all of these bits clearly have had a cumulative effect: My butt dyno says the sum of the parts is at least half, perhaps two-thirds, as potent as the Stage II delta over stock. But, again, that's just seat-of-the-pants, and I'd have to drive a true stock R to know for sure. What is indisputable is that the car is fast and unstressed and buckets of fun at street-legal (ok, responsibly illegal) speeds. I can run 91 octane gas now (it was strictly 93 on the tune) and my gas mileage is the best it's ever been. And, perhaps best of all, I don't have to run to an APR dealer and shell out $50 every time I take the car in for inspection or a check engine light flashes on and I have to take it to a dealer.

Oh, and now I'm actually taking advantage of the benefits of the AWE no-CEL design.

Someday, when my turbo gives out, I'll go to stage III, so I suppose that's how I'll justify the $800 I spent on APR tunes. In the meantime, maybe I'll just enjoy the car as it is...at Stage 0++.

Once I've finished with a few suspension tweaks.

Your car is certainly unique running so much hardware upgrades on the stock tune, but hell all that matters is how the car feels to you and not some advertised power figures. That said, if u’re willing to give a second chance to tuning your ecu i’d recommend custom tuning if available in your area. The result is simply miles better than OTS tunes in terms of performance and drivability (with all due respect to APR and the likes). Ideally you’d have both tcu and ecu calibrated by the same tuner. Proximity to europe gives me tons of options here so I have tried tuning boxes, a couple of OTS tunes, jb4, tune + jb4 stacking, you name it. They all have their pros and cons, and are overall good products, but in the end nothing comes close to a custom ecu/tcu combo. I really don’t knw if this is an option in your neck of the woods, but if so, it’s really worth it especially considering that you already have all the bolt ons. Very good choice on the AWE btw, it runs the same cat I’ve had on my HJS dp for over a year now without any issues or cel.

d1ngleberry

Passed Driver's Ed
After almost 8 months, I finally installed the downpipe today. Fitment was spot on and no CEL after about 20 miles. Sound is ~15% louder than stock, so it's pretty subtle, IMO.

For now I'm sticking with the JB4 (map 2) until I can find a decent deal on a used Cobb AP, at which point I'll go for a custom tune.

7r Sykt

Car(s)
MK7R DSG
You may have just lit a fire under my ass to get mine installed.
It's been sitting in my office for over two months.
Maybe next month when it cools off a bit.
Keep us posted if a CEL pops up.
Thanks

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I've been waiting to get more miles on my car before I install the APR Downpipe and IE intercooler that are sitting in my basement.