GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it necessary to have an upgraded in intercooler to go stage 2

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
not to hijack the thread but I'm looking at intercoolers for my mk7.5, Would a FMIC better than the ones that just replace the factory one?

It would be a lot of work and from what I gather, wouldn't make a huge difference.

My goal is to upgrade to an APR IC when I go Stage II at Thanksgiving and add an oil cooler at the front as well.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I know it's not a massive 600hp core, but the Neuspeed FMIC is a great piece. I had one on my MK6 because I didn't want to dig out the stock IC or pay a shop for the install. Remove the bumper skin and you've got all the access you need, no cutting from what I've read.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I know it's not a massive 600hp core, but the Neuspeed FMIC is a great piece. I had one on my MK6 because I didn't want to dig out the stock IC or pay a shop for the install. Remove the bumper skin and you've got all the access you need, no cutting from what I've read.

Airflow through that FMIC is substantially less than the stock GTI IC. I'd suggest something else that has better balanced performance.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Airflow through that FMIC is substantially less than the stock GTI IC. I'd suggest something else that has better balanced performance.

I was looking through your site but didn't see testing on actual airflow or cooling for the Neuspeed, just dimensions, volumes, etc.. I assume you mean through boost pipes and not through the core to the radiator because of the front mount, I've heard that before.

I've never seen any testing about the Neuspeed being more restrictive that the stock IC or causing more pressure drop. Show me what ya got.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I was looking through your site but didn't see testing on actual airflow or cooling for the Neuspeed, just dimensions, volumes, etc.. I assume you mean through boost pipes and not through the core to the radiator because of the front mount, I've heard that before.

I've never seen any testing about the Neuspeed being more restrictive that the stock IC or causing more pressure drop. Show me what ya got.

I haven't made a post about it yet.

Yes, airflow through the path that the charge air passes. Drop from the stock GTI IC was about 40% less, the eBay FMIC that I've used flows the same as the GTI IC, so the Neuspeed FMIC flows 40% less than the eBay FMIC I'm working with.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I haven't made a post about it yet.

Yes, airflow through the path that the charge air passes. Drop from the stock GTI IC was about 40% less, the eBay FMIC that I've used flows the same as the GTI IC, so the Neuspeed FMIC flows 40% less than the eBay FMIC I'm working with.

Interesting. I only previously owned one, but if the core is that much more restrictive, can that translate to better cooling? Is it a difference of core type that causes that flow difference (bar and plate versus tube and fin)?

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Interesting. I only previously owned one, but if the core is that much more restrictive, can that translate to better cooling? Is it a difference of core type that causes that flow difference (bar and plate versus tube and fin)?

It may cool very well, the airflow doesn't really say anything about how well it could cool.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
It may cool very well, the airflow doesn't really say anything about how well it could cool.

I believe there is a difference in flow by core type, and the core types have different cooling efficiencies as well.

So is your airflow test going to directly correlate with IATs, and then beyond that dyno tests showing power output differences? That is a lot of testing and money to dyno test each setup so I wouldn't put you to that, but I also wouldn't want to come to a conclusion that something is good or bad based on only airflow, if it wasn't the end all be all or only metric needed for measuring the worth of an intercooler.

For example, an IE intercooler has been used on sub 10 second 1/4 mile Golf Rs, but if the air flow of that intercooler is less than a random eBay intercooler, what conclusion can we come to from that? Would that eBay intercooler have made the car faster? Was the IE intercooler a restriction?

Really not trying to be contradictory with you either, just putting my thoughts out there.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
I believe there is a difference in flow by core type, and the core types have different cooling efficiencies as well.

So is your airflow test going to directly correlate with IATs, and then beyond that dyno tests showing power output differences? That is a lot of testing and money to dyno test each setup so I wouldn't put you to that, but I also wouldn't want to come to a conclusion that something is good or bad based on only airflow, if it wasn't the end all be all or only metric needed for measuring the worth of an intercooler.

For example, an IE intercooler has been used on sub 10 second 1/4 mile Golf Rs, but if the air flow of that intercooler is less than a random eBay intercooler, what conclusion can we come to from that? Would that eBay intercooler have made the car faster? Was the IE intercooler a restriction?

Really not trying to be contradictory with you either, just putting my thoughts out there.

I was testing the Neuspeed IS38 core.

The airflow test is not going to correlate with IAT.

The two performance criteria I assess with intercoolers are how well they cool the intake air and how much of a pressure drop they cause the intake air. In general it is a tradeoff between the two, what I would call a better design would be able to do both well.

I've seen temperature logs of the Neuspeed FMIC from some other users and in my opinion it is on par with the overall average for aftermarket ICs. The airflow is below average compared to the products I've measured. For me that makes the product an overall 'not recommended' as I would expect at least average performance in both areas of measurement.

There are absolutely unknowns and perhaps there are situations where the Neuspeed would be a preferred product, I'm making my recommendation based on the limited information that I have.

In a case such as what you describe if one IC cooled better than another, but the second IC flowed better, a more thorough comparison would be needed. I'd want to determine how much of an impact temperature and airflow have on vehicle performance independently, and by how much each IC outperformed the other in those areas. This comparison would likely have to start to account for the charge air characteristics since different turbochargers and how they are being operated will become a consideration.

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I'm considering going stage 2 but I want to know if you absolutely need to have an upgraded intercooler to do so. If its a peace of mind mod i would still consider doing it but i wasn't sure if its simply required for stage 2. And lastly what other mods would you recommend doing besides down-pipe and spark plugs to support a stage 2 set up.

I have been running a stage 2 setup without an upgraded intercooler for a few months with no issues at all; so it is not absolutely necessary no.
I have recently installed an upgraded intercooler without any other modification to my setup; there is a definite improvement in performance; so it is absolutely recommended.

IMO all you really want aside the dp/plugs combo to support stage 2 on pump gas is to upgrade your intercooler, intake (airbox mod is more than enough), intlet hose, inlet pipe and diverter valve. Anything else is just money spent on bling and noises I think.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I have been running a stage 2 setup without an upgraded intercooler for a few months with no issues at all; so it is not absolutely necessary no.

I have recently installed an upgraded intercooler without any other modification to my setup; there is a definite improvement in performance; so it is absolutely recommended.

IMO all you really want aside the dp/plugs combo to support stage 2 on pump gas is to upgrade your intercooler, intake (airbox mod is more than enough), intlet hose, inlet pipe and diverter valve. Anything else is just money spent on bling and noises I think.

I agreed with you up to replacing your diverter valve. The factory DV is fine up to 30+ psi on big turbo applications. Aftermarket ones are just for bling and noise, and can have their own issues.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

TAZZ1

Ready to race!
I agreed with you up to replacing your diverter valve. The factory DV is fine up to 30+ psi on big turbo applications. Aftermarket ones are just for bling and noise, and can have their own issues.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

You are correct, there are a few that have leaked over here above 26psi though, upgrading to the DV+ Sorted things out